Via Balestrate, 100, Santa Tecla, Acireale, Sicily, 95020, Italy
Booking.com Priceline.com Hotelsclick.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Catania

Ruins before a church in CataniaRuins before a church in Catania

Alcantare GorgesAlcantare Gorges

Villa del casaleVilla del casale

Finding and meeting distant relatives

by nixified

My mom's grandparents all emigrated to the US less than 100 years ago, so we still have some family members in Sicily whom we have contacted off and on over the years. However, it's been a while since the last time letters were sent, and most communication was through my aunt--I have never written to these people before, but I do have their addresses and I do know how we're related.

When I go to Catania later this month, I would really like to visit them and see the towns where my family came from. But I don't want to just show up on their doorstep uninvited; what is the polite way to contact these distant relatives and introduce myself? Should I send a letter in advance of my trip and then make a phone call once I'm in Sicily? Does this sort of thing happen very often, and would it be weird of me to want to visit?

And what sort of gifts would be nice to bring them from the US? I was thinking of making a family photo album...My professor told me it's polite to bring flowers or a cake when visiting an Italian home, so at least I know that part already :P Grazie mille.

by mccalpin

My experience is that Europeans are normally much nicer about weird American relatives showing up than we Americans would be. They - if they are true to form - will insist on showing you around and possibly putting you up in their homes. This may be awkward, because as an American, you would not want to be an imposition and wouldn't mind staying in a hotel, but noooooo, they may want you to stay with them - perhaps too close for comfort...well, they're not Americans, so they act differently...

We Americans often don't know how to deal with this effusion of hospitality...my suggestion is to definitely contact them, then go with the flow. You will (hopefully, assuming they want to see you) be wined and dined, and you will have fits trying to figure out how to repay them, since they will be insulted if you try to repay them (oxymoronic, isn't it ;-) ).

Traditionally, you bring things from the States that they can't get in Italy...nowadays, that isn't very much. A photo album might be nice. If your family in the States makes anything, that would be nicer. I have often thought that bringing a unique American product is a good idea, like bourbon (it ain't the same as European whiskey), or maple syrup (OK, Canadian/American ;-) ), or some similar unique thing - I once brought a lot of Texas tourist trinkets (Texas passports, Texas Ranger badges, etc.) for the kids and jalapeno lollipops for the adults ;-)...well, if you're from Texas, this makes sense ;-)

You should also watch for what is important to them...sometimes a donation to a local church or charity can effectively serve as a repayment to them...

I can't guarantee how they will react, but I think you should make the effort...

Bill

by Sjalen

Yes, Sicilians love their sweet things! Do you have an American cake or sweet which can be kept OK during travels? Some things can of course already be found here in Europe (marshmallows, apple pies and what have you...) but perhaps you've got something local?

by domenicococozza

I am half Italian and was born in London, England.
I can tell you from experience that turning up unannounced at your family's home would not be a good idea. It is always best to write and let them know your intentions. Italians and Sicilians alike, are a very friendly bunch but are sticklers for procedure. It is one thing being invited, but an entirely different thing arriving unannounced. A polite letter is always appreciated and it will give your family time to prepare for your visit. You will be welcomed with open arms.
Freshly made cannoli are always an acceptable gift for Sicilians or a gift box of crystallised fruits(both of these are best purchased in Sicily). Dont go over the top. A small gift of the best is a good rule of thumb.

Travel Tips for Catania

PIAZZA ARMERINA
The 'Villa del...

by SirRichard

PIAZZA ARMERINA
The 'Villa del Casale', in Piazza Armerina (around the center of the island), is an ancient roman villa with amazing mosaics. It was built between 330 and 360 AD. The identity of its owner remains a subject of debate. However, three individuals are usually mentioned: Proculus Populonius, governor of Sicily from 314 to 337; Caeionus Rufus Volusianus, also called Lampadius, an influential and wealthy man; and Sabucinius Pinianus, probably of Roman birth.
There are 3500 square meters of mosaics on the villa's floors, and some surviving wall paintings. Many of the structure's walls are still standing. The style of the mosaics is said to be influenced by the North African motifs of the Romans. Some smaller finds from the site are housed in the Piazza Armerina archeological museum.

The Elephant Statue

by dowdow

This statue, surrounded with lovely lawn, is right in the centre of Piazza Duomo and used to be our meeting point. Our guide told us that the elephant is the symbol of Catania but that's all he knew of this statue !

Catania - Rugby capital of Sicily

by grimbolero

"Excuse"

A few days spent in and around Catania, and the excuse this time was to watch Sale Sharks play Amatori Catania (the professional team).
We stayed in the Hotel Residence La Vetreria, near the Castello Ursino.

Comments