Via San Vito 40, Catania, Sicily, 95124, Italy

Expedia.com Travelocity Hotels.com

Costs 31% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Dangerous Area: Beware

Catania is a rough city in Sicily and the Liberty Hotel is in a bad area of the city. I tried to stay there but was carjacked right outside the Liberty Hotel!!! A man blocked the road while his team of thieves opened my car doors and stole our bags. Because of this incident, I drove off and didn't stay at the hotel that night. My girlfriend was terrified. When I told the hotel about this incident, they would not refund my money for that night. The manager said it was not his fault that I was robbed and that I should have stopped at the hotel to "discuss what happened" even though the hotel was a few feet from where I was robbed!!! That is the craziest thing I have ever heard. Pathetic how bad their customer service is. Please do not stay at the Liberty Hotel. I don't like supporting people that profit on other's misfortunes. Also, be very careful in that area. We spoke to someone who grew up in that area and recommended not traversing in that area if you are a tourist. Stay away from the Liberty Hotel!!! I consider them to be thieves just like the men who robbed me for their actions.

Unique Quality: NA.

Directions: City Center.

• An elegant, intimate hotel

Not the cheapest in Catania by far, but it's really highly designed, almost like a film set, and is just as elegant as can be. There's no restaurant there, which is a little odd, but they serve a fabulous (free) breakfast. In a week I got to know just about all the desk staff, really nice young people. The building is a gorgeous 18th-century structure, but it's not in a great part of town (on the other hand, with much of Catania being so very poor that's not surprising). It's a short 4-block walk (downhill) to the local Mcdonalds (which itself is a kind of palace) and a very fancy shopping district right next to the enormous, amazing outdoor market. I'd visit Cantania again just for this hotel. (Quick hint: the entire city is in what appears to be a perpetual traffic nightmare, but don't worry about that -- the drivers are genuinely polite and will always give pedestrians the right-of-way.)

Directions: Take a taxi! If you're renting a car, you should hire a taxi for the first day or two to lead you around. Seriously.

Comments