Piazza Scelfo, angolo Via S Agata, Enna, 94100, Italy

Travel Tips for Enna

Enna

by betako3

"A 'day' in Enna"

We meant Enna to be a day trip. But as it was quite a long way from Palermo and there was a problem with transportation we stayed there only two hours and a half (the journey itself took over two hours one way). There was hardly any time to do some serious sightseeing. We went to the castle, admired the views and then strolled through the town with a short break for a quick snack.
I found Enna a bit depressing at this time of the year. It was partly because of the weather; as you can see in the picture it was cloudy, plus it was cold and windy. The rush with which we hurried throught the town wasn't helpful either. And the sight of a starved dog trying to find some food in a heap of rubbish lying in some godforsaken street, well, you can imagine how it made me feel...

I was not expecting this

by grimbolero

"Enna out of the haze"

The A19 autostrada from Palermo to Catania perches on stilts through the high parched valleys of central Sicily. As you try to pass a Fiat Panda with its left indicator permanantly on, the haze ahead solidifies into two improbable hills, each with a town on top.
To the right is Enna, a respectable city crowning the 1000m cliffs. We decided to drive up there...

"It's some ride to the top"

There are a number of ways to reach Enna. I, as I unwaveringly do, chose the hardest. The picture shows where the road curves out over nothing as it climbs the wooded cliffs.
Once you get to the city there is little parking space, so stop on the up-slope where the other cars are.

"Once in Enna"

From the Lombard Castle at the top, you can wind down the narrow streets through the old city. It appears to be unchanged much from the 15th century, with modern supermarkets embedded in ancient buildings, and huge old gates hiding colleges full of boisterous teenagers.

Wander to the edge of the narrow town and you get incredible vistas accross central Sicily. You are so high up that it is a wonder that any town could be built up here, let alone a city.

This is not a tourist town, but the locals will try to make you feel welcome. We were even given free chocolate pastries - a local delicacy - in the bakery.

schmoozed.... by a cabbie in enna ?

by roven

After arriving by train, I found myself stranded, with a cabbie telling me for 10 euros he'll take me the 6 kilometers (he told me 3 times how far it was) to enna. Not this cat. I could see 5, but 10? that's a rip. So I started the hike up the hill.... wow..... awesome sicilian countryside. needed that after 4 days in Palermo, 4 days in naples, and 2 days in rome. after about a 1/2 mile, thumbing it along the way, got a ride. the guy refused to take the 5 euros I offered him.

"countryside"

I smelled wild fennel.... mmm...

tripping through enna