Ermione

Rank 12 of 15 hotels
in Erice
Bad (2.0 out of 5.0) 1 review
spocklogic's Profile Photo

Great views, but sadly rundown

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 17, 2014

Having visited in Erice, Sicily many times, I had the misfortune to stay here once, but also to visit it many times. It was built in the 1960's and still looks like it. Not much ever seems to change here in the way of improvements and it is an establishment that could really be much better than it is with a little bit of effort. There is even a swimming pool in the back of the hotel that appears to have been abandoned for as long as I can remember going there. It mainly collects rainfall water that acts as a breeding ground for mosquitos, which come inside the hotel if windows are left open. This is particularly annoying at night when trying to sleep.

The only real appeal of this hotel are the wonderful views of the city of Trapani it affords. They are really quite spectacular with the city spreading out below in it's sickle shape and the Egadi Islands in the background. While the views may be spectacular, the location here is not exactly central and it's quite a steep and long walk up the center of Erice. There are many hotels in Erice that offer better accommodations with more charm than this place. The great views here are simply not worth the stay in this run down hotel. The only reason I even give it two stars is because of the views, but the establishment itself deserves only one star.

My recommendation is to avoid staying at this hotel, but do pay it a visit for the views. Erice is a wonderful and charming city on the top of a mountain and is an inviting place for tourism, but the Ermione Hotel is probably the worst establishment here, and the sad reality is that they don't seem to care either. A real pity, as it could be made into something quite nice and could become one of the best places to stay in Erice. Even the distance to the city center would not be a problem if they were to offer a more regular shuttle service (or shuttle on request). It's just another example of the failure of this hotel to accommodate its guests with amenities.

I guess I should mention that they built a cable car down to Trapani, which is a midway walk between this hotel and the center of Erice. It was built in 2005, and in full operation since then. It's a positive I guess, but since it is located near the bus station too, and is a walk down from most other hotels, not an advantage really. I added some additional photos too (besides the nice views) of the mosquito pool and dated lobby decor. To me, I just wonder every time I see this place, how can it even exist in such condition? I am not sure it is still in business, but I will check next time I visit Erice.

Unique Quality: Superb views of Trapani

Directions: Somewhat down the hillside from the cable car station

Nearby Ermione

• Bar / Lounge
  • Free Parking
  • Pets Allowed

Erice Travel Forum

Need advice about Erice, Italy? Visit the Travel Forum for Erice and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Erice hotel reviews