Via Meucci 3, Favignana, 91023, Italy
Hotel Il Portico
Venere.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Favignana

Who has been to Favignana?

by jeffmartinartist

I am posting the question, who has been to Favignana? I have and I feel privileged to be the first ever person to post a question in the Favignana forum.

by transpacific

I have *just* posted the question above you about travelling from Positano to Sicily... and funnily enough the island I have to be on by Sunday is Favignana...

So I haven't been yet, but I am planning to spend about a week there on my upcoming trip.

I don't suppose you have any tips on getting there from Positano or Naples?

by jeffmartinartist

As it happens I do, in my travel pages under Sicily transportation tip. And heaps on Favignana including on my external web site www.jeffmartin.com.au so why do you have to be in Favignana? j

by Shirah

I went to Favignana for a daytrip in early May this year on my honeymoon. It is a gorgeous island and the colour of the sea is amazing. We hired bikes and cycled round the island. The abandoned Tufa quarries were really an interesting and unusual site and my husband went for a swim from Cala Rossa. We picked the wrong restaurant to go to for lunch though. They didn't even do the tuna, the local speciality, nicely as it was overcooked and my salad had a long hair in it and they had one awful Mariah Carey song on repeat the whole time we were eating - and it wasn't cheap either. It was a shame as afterwards we kept seeing loads of places that looked great. I would definitely go back there.

by jeffmartinartist

I was so excited to see a posting on this forum and Cala Rossa on your honeymoon how fab. The quarries are very strange when you cycle to that end of the island. i am sorry to hear of your bad restaurant experience, do you remember which it was? go on name, names. Most of the fresh tuna is shipped out and not that great in the restaurants anyway so you didn't really miss out there. Where were you day tripping from? If you have any photos you should do a page on favignana. j

by Shirah

I can't remember the name of the restaurant annoyingly - it was nicely decorated with old fishing nets inside though. We went by boat from Marsala as we spent a week there on our honeymoon. We also flew to Lampedusa for a few days and I loved it there. Both islands have such gorgeous clear turquoise waters. I do have a few photos so I will have to try to put them up at some point. Have you spent a lot of time in Favignana then?

by Sanelab

Hi, I know it has been months since these questions/answers about Favignana were posted but I have just joined VT and since i feel so passionate about the island i had to say my two cents worth.
Jeff, your comments and your art about Favignana are splendid. The day you posted this question I flew to Favignana for a week - I have felt such peace and happiness while I was there that I can hardly wait to go back, probably in may 2006. I hope it does not become too well know a destination. Hordes of tourist would spoil, well, everything that's good about it.
I know the restaurant Shirah is talking about although I cannot remember the name either. We (my italian boyfriend and I) had mixed seafood - well, fried calamari and 3 prawns. Disapointing it was. However, Shirah, next time go to Amici del Mare and have that grilled fresh tuna, it is excellent. But it has to be steeped in milk beforehand so that all the blood is drawn out. Then it has a mellow tuna taste. Wonderfull.

by jeffmartinartist

i know Amici del Mare, very good. I am so happy you enjoyed Favignana. I will soon get out my notes and write tips up for the restaurants.....no i might go back in 06 and make new notes. j

by Sanelab

sounds like a plan, I'll be going back for sure, there is still so much I want to do and see - I need to climb up that mountain!

by jeffmartinartist

why not start your travel pages with some tips or photographs from your visit to favignana. VT is all about many diffrent opinions and experiences. not many people have favignana on their travel pages so come on share with us.

by Sanelab

I need to organize my time, photo's (not digital yet), memories etc. I went suddenly so was completely unprepared to have my breath taken away by the simple beauty of the island. But, I am as passionate as you are about it so, will share, eventually...

by squibb

I am answering your question with a question... We are hoping to go soon but would like to know what entertainment there is. We like the idea of the peaceful side of it, but would also like to know if there are many interesting little shops etc for gifts and for window shopping. The hotel we are looking at is in Cala Grande - do you know how far this is from the main places of interest and/or towns. Thanks for your help!

by jeffmartinartist

There is only one town Favignana on the island Favignana. everything is there and there is not much to do but relax. i suggest you hire a boat and visit Carla Rossa ..see my tips for details. cheers jeff

Comments