ArtePalermo

ArtePalermo
budgetplaces.com Hostelworld.com

More about Palermo

The Cathedral of PalermoThe Cathedral of Palermo

Cheese and salami for lunch today?Cheese and salami for lunch today?

Porta Nuova, PalermoPorta Nuova, Palermo

Palermo La Vucciria at nightPalermo La Vucciria at night

Cefalu to Palermo in early AM

by dvidaver

How early in the morning can one catch a bus for Palermo (better yet, the airport), from Cefalu?

RE: Cefalu to Palermo in early AM

by Maikls

Hey!

Well, I don't know whether there are buses or not, but I know there are trains definetely and early in the morning. As the webpages of buses ar not working properly, can not suggest anything. But ofr trains: www.trenitaloia.com!

Cheers!
Maikls

RE: RE: Cefalu to Palermo in early AM

by Propermark

Check out www.trenitalia.com

Travel Tips for Palermo

I'm tired... <8)

by kedi+

I woke up at 6 o'clock in the morning... Later we've driven to Venice, we took airplane... We've driven and have gotten lost in Palermo streets... And just an half an hour rest and we've found ourselves on the roads again... We walked quite well until here and I'm very very tired...

Now that's time to take a taxi from the piazza and turn back to hotel.. After a small nap going out to have tipical Sicilian food! Yummm... 8)

To have more info, see my restaurants tip.. Very yummy photos are waiting for you there.. ;)

La cucina siciliana

by CliffClaven

There are traditions of fine dining in many parts of the world, but somehow the Italians seem to enjoy their food more than most. In Sicily, in particular, an invitation to lunch usually means that you can forget about the rest of the day. And one thing the Arabs left when they departed was a love for sweet desserts. Sicilian cassata and cannoli are delightful and delicious - but somewhat daunting when they arrive after the calamari, the pasta, the swordfish, the salad, the cheeses, all washed down by a bottle or two of the robust and earthy local wine.

A flavour of the east - and the sea

by toonsarah

Take time in Palermo to explore the side streets and in particular the street markets, where you’ll get a close-up look at daily life in the city. We enjoyed a wander through Vucciria market, which runs parallel to via Roma (starting from the Piazza San Domenico). Of course in this port city there were wonderful displays of fresh fish, and the vegetables and fruit also looked fantastic. There are also hardware stalls and others with various essentials, and the overall atmosphere was somewhat middle-eastern, reflecting the city’s very mixed cultural heritage.

La Martorana, a great little...

by ucbwalker

La Martorana, a great little church with some incredible Norman mosaics. Unfortunately, much of the church has been remodeled with lame Baroque frescoes, but it's worth a visit for what's left of the mosaics.

SICILY 3 (2001)

by davidcross

"Day 9 Cefalú and Castelbuono"

I went by train from Palermo after a visit to the Archaeological Museum. Worth noting that the train times had been altered a little from those given at the Tourist Office.
I have no photos of Cefalú; there were all sorts of repairs going on , including the interior of the cathedral - but then it was February.
In general I was most impressed that a place as well known as Cefalú should remain largely unspoiled.
I then went on to the small hill town of Castelbuono. I went one stop by train to the station which nearly turned into a silly mistake as the station is many kilometers away from the town. Fortunately I was offered a lift!
(photo: looking down from the castle at Castelbuono)

several

pictures. Before leaving for Catania and the flight back, I will just mention the excellent and quite cheap restaurant where I had my evening meal.
La Bouganville, Via Bagnoli Croci 88.
The self-service antipasti which were the starter were supurb!

"Day 12 Catania"

I did not rate Catania for specific sights but it is a fine, lively city with a magnificent market.

Immediately outside the airport with Etna in view.

"Day 10 Milazzo and Lipari"

I only have the one photo of Castelbuono but I must say a bit more about it. I really enjoyed it there and the Hotel Ariston was cheap if far from luxurious.
I had a very good pizza in a little place on the right after passing through the arch shown on the photo of the town.
I left earlyish and went by train to Milazzo, from where I took an aliscafo via Volcano to Lipari.

I would have loved longer at Lipari and on the Aeolians generally but there is a limit to what can reasonably be seen in an eleven night break.
I have shown photos of Lipari on my Messina page and so I move on to the next chapter - Taormina.
Before leaving I must just mention Milazzo, a busy and interesting place which I should not mind exploring better. I stayed at the Hotel Central which was OK and had a very pleasant meal at a sort of cafeteria.

"Day 11 Messina and Taormina"

I had decided to dispense with a break at Messina to give myself more time at Taormina but a train strike made for an enforced break. I was quite pleased afterwards!
Here is the astronomical clock.

Looking out to the Straits of Messina with mainland Italy in the background.

"Taormina"

So much has been said and written of Taormina that I can only say it was even more scenic than I expected.

I suppose the town itself is not much better than a number of others but the views out are terrific

and its pride and joy, the so-called Greek Theatre which is largely Roman, is quite magnificent and must

be worth