B&B Agramante

More about Palermo

I arrived to Palermo for 2 weeksI arrived to Palermo for 2 weeks

Lemons at Ballaro market, PalermoLemons at Ballaro market, Palermo

Norman belltowerNorman belltower

A view from old castel of EriceA view from old castel of Erice

Few questions! Shop hours on Saturday..Sunday Monday...etc..supermarkets..malls..street markets..

by philosykos

A few questions! What are the shop hours like in Palermo?If we arrive late Saturday afternoon..will we have time in early evening for shopping?Sunday are shps open?Malls??Center areas.....
Monday what are the shopping hours?Basaically we would have two full days..Sunday & Monday...
The street markets and hours??

Also...supermarkets in center and hours?Nearest shopping malls center??

Many thxs!

Re: Few questions! Shop hours on Saturday..Sunday Monday...

by travelgourmet

Sundays and Mondays are the two days that find many things closed. Markets are usually open every day. I will give you a websight that may answer all your questions about Palermo called Palermo.com. I have the outdoor markets page up but all the things about Palermo are within the site. See website: http://www.palermo.com/channel/Outdoor-Markets/672

Re: Few questions! Shop hours on Saturday..Sunday Monday...etc..

by philosykos

Thankyou..What about supermarkets?Do you mean shops are closed ALL day on Mondays..??

Satirday early evenings?

Re: Few questions! Shop hours on Saturday..Sunday Monday

by travelgourmet

Closed Monday mornings.

Travel Tips for Palermo

On the way to Duomo di Monreale

by kedi+

Monreale is just a bit outside of the city. There's a stunning duomo there that worth to visit... Here I'm on the way to the duomo.. On my must see activities I'll explain about this wonder... It's so much poetic and has a chaotic history... 8)

Lunch in Erice

by toonsarah about La Prima Dea

On our visit to Erice to the west of Palermo we had lunch in this lovely taverna on the main street. The restaurant is on the first floor and is very welcoming. There’s lots of choice on the menu and prices are reasonable. I had the involtini de melazane followed by an obviously home-made pasta in a local style pesto sauce (made with almonds rather than pine nuts, plus cherry tomatoes). Chris had prosciutto e melone and a good beef dish. I didn't have this, but one of the specialities of the house is cous cous and the friend we were with who tried it said it was great.

Cathedral

by ruki

Built in 1184 by the Norman king William II in the place of a Muslim mosque, the cathedral has undergone several renovations over the centuries, which have resulted in its current Neo-Classical style.
The fourteenth-century door and the Gothic-Catalan style portico are worthy of note. The treasures that are kept inside, including some precious objects and embroidery found in the tombs of the Kings and emperors must be seen.

Palermo barely Encountered

by Ekaterinburg

"Flying visit."

We arived in Palermo by bus from Trapani and coming into town through upmarket suburbs and the harbour, it presented an almost glitzy facade.

Arriving back here by train, a few days later, we looked forward to exploring the city but fate was not on our side. Clouds that had been building all morning in Cefalu, turned into driving rain and we got into Palermo in the midst of a downpour.Nonetheless we set off up the Via Maqueda, zig-zagging optimistically through side streets in search of Piazza Carmine. We eventually found the Ballaro foodmarket and it ws every bit as crazy and lively as the descriptions I'd read. The heaps of produce were spectacular and I can still picture so vividly, the piles of lemons and aubergines glistening with raindrops. The poverty of those streets is etched in my mind too and I felt a little bit voyeuristic, strolling through them as a tourist.

Following on to the Quato Canti and surrounding streets, we got a small taste of Palermo's architectural splendour, in the churches and public buildings. At that stage the rain had become a downpour and we were forced to return to the station, soaked to the skin. The man at left luggage kindly allowed us to change into dry clothes in thestaff cloakroom. This was so much appreciated.

Next time I go to Sicily, I will see and experience Palermo properly.

Comments