Grand Hotel Piazza Borsa

More about Palermo

Palermo cityPalermo city

Fresh Food MarketsFresh Food Markets

Art at SS Salvatore churchArt at SS Salvatore church

Love me tenderLove me tender

palermo

by ratnapalan

We hope ot travel to palermo amd from there to see mountain etna. would it be possible , are there any hotels which has day trips to mount etna. or cld we stay a night in catania and view mount etna.

Re: palermo

by Valentina82

It takes 2.30h by bus from palermo to Catania... Sicily's huge! :-)
You should get a bus from
Palermo: Via Balsamo (Stazione centrale)
timetable: 8-9-10-11-14-15-16-17-19-20.30
From Catania to Palermo
timetable: 8-9-11-12-15-16-17-18-19-20.30

The cities are quite far from each other, so it might hard to find hotels organizing day trips to Mount Etna.
To book you excursion have a look at http://www.escursionietna.com/english-version-escursioni-etna.html

Re: palermo

by TheWanderingCamel

There are several local companies in Palermo who organize day trips to Mt Etna, but, as the previous poster says it is a long way and to travel there from Palermo means you spend a lot of time travelling to and from Etna, plus a lot of the tours include a visit to Taormina in the day's itinerary, so there's not a lot of time for the volcano. If you want to have a good look at the volcana, take a tour towards the crater, etc, I would suggest you spend the night in Catania and visit the mountain from there and have the whole day to enjoy this extraordinary place.

Travel Tips for Palermo

The thing that I love about...

by Ruthy2001

The thing that I love about Palermo is the variety of the types of people who live there - everyone has their own story and they are very warm...the ONLY way you are going to get to see the real Palermo is to get out there and make friends, its not hard, everyone is very welcoming and I really believe that visiting Palermo as a NORMAL tourist must be very dull...

Typical traditional Sicilian cuisine

by lichinga about Altri tempi

Old Sicilian recipes, maybe heavy and greasy, but not all of them. Definitely a very interesting place to discover, where you should go taking your time and ready to experience some dishes it will be more and more difficult to find anywhere else.

Teatro Massimo

by kedi+

The huge and famous Massimo Theatre, one of the most capacious and famous opera house in Italy, was built at the end of the 19th century by the architecs Gian Battista and Ernesto Basile. It is a building of neo-classical inspiration.

Many notable baroque buildings were brought down to create a wide place and actually it occupies a surface area of 7730 square metres.

The theatre will be opened May the 12th with a concert played by the "Berliner" directed by C. Abbado.

talk about Cosmopolitan

by Traveler342

"What are you doing here??" I got asked this a lot as I was making my way through Sicily for a few days. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, seeing as I had been told this part of the country is not all that great and that I wouldn't find much to see or do. Maybe I'm easily amused, but I think they were all wrong, and I'm having a great time!! Palermo is a cool mix of college town and port city, meaning its got a little bit of everything, and at fairly low prices - which is great for my budget at this point.

I spent my first evening here just wandering around - there seem to be endless churches and parks to explore. I love all the little handicraft and funky import shops, too. My clothes are falling apart after almost three months on the road, and I could definitely walk out of here a very well dressed girl, but I'm having fun just exploring.

I'll add to this once I figure out some of the history of Palermo, but for now if anyone knows anything about the Commune of Palermo and why there is a Piazza Pretoria, I'd love to know.

Comments