Pomelia

More about Palermo

Palermo cityPalermo city

Via Sant AgostinoVia Sant Agostino

Spanish kingsSpanish kings

Me & my family celebrating my father's birthdayMe & my family celebrating my father's birthday

scheduled flights only

Hi,
I'm travelling with my wife to Santa Flavia/Sicilia next May, but have come across a rather annoying stumbling block.
We want to fly from the UK directly to Palermo, but neither of us relish the idea of flying with Ryanair or Easyjet (quite franly, we'd rather walk).
Alitalia does have flights via Rome, and if push comes to shove, we'll use this service.
I've looked everywhere for direct flights, but have drawn a blank.
Does anybody know of any airlines operating from the UK into Palermo other than the ones I've mentioned?
I don't hold much hope, but thought it was worth asking.

Hi
I take it you'd like to fly from a London airport?
KLM fly there from LHR, as well as Alitalia, but you also have to have a stop-off but twice! You have to fly to Rome then to Amsterdam; crazy!
Air Berlin fly from LHR with one stop in Cologne.
Lufthansa also fly from LHR with one stop in Milan.
Easyjet is the only dircet one I can find.
Good luck!
BTW I used opodo.co.uk to search all available flights to Palermo.

by hawkhead

I, too, would rather walk than use Ryanair! However, Easyjet, while not my airline of choice, is to be preferred. We go into "numb mode" when using Easyjet and manage just fine - the cost is the determining factor! However, if the price, together with the routing, is competitive, I would use a non-budget airline any time.

by cgf

as far I know there is no direct flight to UK
with Alitalia via Roma or Bologna or other Italian airports or.. why not Easyjet? I might understand Ryanair, Easyjet is not so bad, of course it's a low cost.. and they do not have any planned flight for May 2011

wahat about http://www.brusselsairlines.com ??

Easyjet is direct.

by domenicococozza

Thanks everybody - I do agree that Easyjet is preferable to Ryanair.
Unfortunatley, they have lost our luggage twice on other routes - perhaps I'm now just paranoid.

by northeast80

I know how you feel, and with all the extra 'hidden' costs it's quite frustrating booking with them in the first place!
Saying that I've used Easyjet a nubmer of times and have never had an issue. The online booking in is useful, that's only if you have no hold luggage of course!
Good luck

by lforrro

We had lots of friends coming over from the UK and from The Netherlands. In the last period (2 years actually) all of those flying with a stop-off in Rome came without their luggage. And it took up to one week to get them back. On the other hand, those who came with Ryanair had no problem at all.

The choice is yours, but I’ll give Ryanair a chance.

Thanks everybody.
We've booked flights with British Airways to Catania and have decided to rent a car and drive.
Ryanair have actually stopped flying to Palermo and now only service Trapani.

Travel Tips for Palermo

Cannoli from Heaven!

by salmayo

It wasn't really apparent which section to put this tip in but I settled for 'Local Custom' in the end.

A local chap offered a great tip on where to find the best cannoli in Palermo. It wasn't the place suggested by some of the guidebooks I'd read, but one which fortunately happened to be at about 50 metres distance of where we were at the time of receiving the advice which was also at the precise moment when we were in desperate need of a sugar hit.

The place is called Cappello and it's not far from the Palazzo Reale and Piazza Independenza. The cannoli are amazing, as is the granita di pistacchio... there were so many other things which looked great too but not enough time to try them all... next trip to Palermo!

Sword fishhh 8)

by kedi+ about Gogliardo

Here we are... We had our second nite dinner in the area of seaport. There are several elegant restaurants around. We chose this one and as many people suggested we had sword fish.. Lo had grilled and I had "Involtini di pesce spada"... We had a white Sicilian wine Grecanico and talked on our day in Sicily and next day's programme and other things.. 8) Involtini di pesce spada. And here we paid small amount compare to other Italian cities..

Quattro Canti

by kedi+

The project for the layout of this square was drawn up in 1608. It is also referred to as the "theatre of the sun", since it is illuminated by the sun's rays from dawn to dusk.

The four rounded fronts of the buildings are decorated in the following way: at the bottom there are four fountains surmounted by statues, each of one of the four seasons; above them, the statues of the Spanish monarchs Charles I, Philip II, Philip III and Philip IV; at the top, the four saints protecting the four quarters: St.Cristina, St.Oliva, St.Ninfa and St.Agata.

With this square the city is divided in four.

Palermo

by Laurel914

I think my favorite thing about Palermo is that it wasn't touristy at all. It was such a nice break from the tourist filled places that I had been previously. I'd definitely recommend doing a day trip to the beaches of Cefalu, though.

Comments