Baia Taormina - Grand Palace Hotel & Spa

More about Taormina

AmpitheatreAmpitheatre

BuildingsBuildings

Inside the Greek TheatreInside the Greek Theatre

Night train "Mongibello" on its way to MilanoNight train "Mongibello" on its way to Milano

2 weeks in taormina / letojanni with baby - request advice

by ahrbaron

Hello,
I will be in sicily from may 5-may18 2007. traveling with husband, 1 year old baby, and my (2) parents. We are renting a large apartment in letojanni and we will have (2) cars. We plan on exploring the east and North of Sicily.
- there is very little written about letojanni – has anyone stayed there? We chose letojanni because it is supposed to be less touristy than giardini naxos.
- how warm is the ocean water in may? Warm enough to swim?
- we will probably have a few days for just me and my husband - any suggestions for fun things to do just the 2 of us?
- planning to bring a light weight stroller for the baby, should we also bring a back carrier?
- do you think that my 1 year old baby should drink the local water? Or should we stick to bottled water for the baby?
- my husband and I love old ruins, countryside and beaches. My mother loves to shop. My dad just wants to relax.
- does anyone know of any interesting local craftmen/artists that we can visit and from whom we could purchase items?
- any other tips?
thanks
ahrbaron

RE: 2 weeks in taormina / letojanni with baby - request advice

by Sjalen

On my Taormina page, I have a photo of the Letojanni beach sweeping away from Taormina itself but no, there isn't much here on VT as indeed Giardini Naxos is more known. Incidentally, that picture is taken in May - we had a couple of rainy days then and you CAN swim but it wasn't that many doing it at all - it was warmer once we got to Agrigento on the southern coast. Up by Taormina, Etna affects the weather a lot off season with its own micro climate.

As for what you could do when on your own, a trip to Etna perhaps if you're not going to do it all together. You can stop at vineyards on the slopes between Linguaglossa and Randazzo and buy bottles of great wine, olives and huuuuuge lemons (everything really grows in the volcanic soil).

You could of course also go to Siracusa and check out the Greek and Roman theatres and the romantic Ortygia island that the city centre is on.

Travel Tips for Taormina

The Greek theatre

by lichinga

A lovely place to locate a theatre... ancient Greeks were so good at that! Sicily, as well as mainland Greek itself, is full of lovely spots where ancient theatres were built, see Segesta, Palazzolo Acreide justy as a couple of nearby examples!

St. Giuseppe church

by vysnaite

Chiesa di S. Giuseppe is right at the center of Taormina city, after you stroll the main street full of shops and restaurants and find yourself in 9th April Square (piazza IX Aprile). It's a very lovely church, whose relief (according to me) resembles shape of mountains behind it, chuch reaches end of 17th century.

Taormina, Sicily

by tpal

"Can this place be real?"

So many superlatives have been used to describe Taormina that mine would be . . . well, "superfluous"! Suffice to say that it is the most beautiful place I've seen. This picture of the Bay of Taormina was taken from the balcony of our hotel (this was the splurge of our trip). Taken at dusk, it shows a parade of boats to commemorate the festival of their patron saint. Part of the event involved a fireworks show which from our elevation was below us. This is a case where the memories are more vivid than the photos.

Comments