Casabella

Travelocity Booking.com Venere.com

More about Taormina

window detailwindow detail

A TURN HERE AND A LOOK THEREA TURN HERE AND A LOOK THERE

Me and Mariam with our mafioso guideMe and Mariam with our mafioso guide

Giardino PublicoGiardino Publico

Giardini Naxos or Taormina

by marsi77

Would appreciate your advice in helping me decide whether I shall spend my next 5 day holiday in Giardini Naxos or Taormina.I shall be travelling with my husband and 2 year old son, and would like to go somewhere not extremely expensive, with good food and with a good number of shops and restaurant since we wouldn't like to stay inside the hotel in the evening. We're going in March 2010

by Miguelzgz

Hello. Last year we spent one week in Sicily.

Thanks to a great advice from another vter, we went to Giardin Naxos, hotel Palladio (http://www.hotelpalladiogiardini.com/) very nice and perfectly situated, close to the beach. Probably March is warm enough to enjoy the beach.

The public bus stops right at the door and you are in Taormina in less than 40 minutes. The road is very narrow and I was happy of not driving myself. Taormina is a must, amazing place...but I guess that being with a little kid, he may enjoy more being by the sea.

by pedroswift

We chose to rent an apartment at Giardini N for a week in June 2006. We figured it would be less expensive than staying up the hill. We used public transport to get from airport Catania and to visit Taormina and other tourist sites (Siracusa, Catania) and ate at several restaurants at GN. http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/ae2c2/24ba8/

by SallyM

There are plenty of restaurants in both places. Taormina is prettier, and great for pottering round shops, but with a two year old, Giardini Naxos is probably a better bet, as you can be closer to the beach.

It's very easy to get the bus from one to the other for a change of scene, anyway.

It's probably more important to make sure that whichever town you choose, you get a hotel or apartment in a good location, close to amenities rather than on the outskirts somewhere.

by marsi77

Thanks a lot for all your answers. In fact we were considering at staying at Hotel Palladio. Is the area surrounding the hotel lively in the evening? Cause surely we wouldn't like to stay inside, would like to go out for a walk and maybe a coffee in the nearby surroundings.

by Miguelzgz

There is a nice restaurant infront of the hotel, and one of the hotel "fachade" looks to a nice square. I recall there was a caffeteria there. We went there at the beguinning of October, so not the most "lively" month. I am sure it will be more "active" in March.

There is a nice walk following the beach line that leads to the "old" village. There are several places to stop and grab a drink, or to seat and enjoy a great expresso, or ice-cream....

uummmm, I wish I could go next year! ;-)

Travel Tips for Taormina

Parking

by mabu

If you go there with your own vehicule you will have big problems finding somewhere to park it!!!

Like in most of these villages the streets weren't built for all the cars and the money to build parkings is not existant and if so the locals wouldn't use them anyway.....

So cars are parked everywhere and obviously sometimes get forgotten (see pic..)

If you need to go there by car park it in the big parking (called "Parcheggio Lumbi") shortly after the motorway exit. It's well signposted. From the parking there is a shuttle bus up to the village.

Balcony

by mabu

Nearly every house has got a small balcony. Some of them are realy small, some of them nearly are falling apart, but lots of them are decorated with different flowers and plants. So just lift your head a little...

Comments