3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Via Roma 2, Piazzetta Bastione, Taormina, Sicily, 98039, Italy

Booking.com Priceline.com Travelocity

Costs 95% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• What a terrific surprise

We were a little leery as we never stayed in a 3 star hotel before but all of the reviews on this hotel were excellent and we later learned that the star rating only relates to amenities. There is no pool but the breakfast included is as good as it gets and made to order. We had room 28 which was a corner with a great view of the sea and Mt. Etna. the A/C worked great and the pople who run the hotel and their staff are wonderful. We chose it for it,s convenience to the main road in Taormina corso Umberto.
    We were pleasantly surprised byt the facility, staff and location.

Unique Quality: View are fantastic and breakfast outdoors and cooked to order.

Directions: hotel and residential area

• Taormina's Best Hotel

This was our 3rd visit to Villa Schuler. This very special 100 ++ year old hotel is the longest family run hotel in Taormina. Owners Gerhard and his lovely wife Christine do everything in their power to make your stay a memorable one. It has been the Schuler family tradition for over 100 years to make hospitality their main objective. The entire staff at Villa Schuler including the front desk staff, the maids, groundskeepers as well as the cooks do everything to accommodate your every wish, including the front desk night person who, upon our request, was so kind as to have our breakfast ready at 4:00 AM in order to catch a very early morning flight out of Catania. When you stay at Villa Schuler, you are made to feel like family. They even recognized and celebrated our 25th Anniversary with us during our most recent visit. Villa Schuler has a very long and interesting history. In 2005 they created a small book celebrating the Hotels 100 year history which you can read upon request. We always take a Junior Suite on the top floor. It is a large exceptionally clean, air conditioned room with a small refrigerator, flat screen TV, Shower/Bath Combo, large Verandah with an amazing view. It is centrally located, close to restaurants, markets, and the bus station. We look forward to our next visit to this amazing hotel and it's wonderful staff. Thank you once again to everyone at Villa Schuler.

Unique Quality: Hospitality, Great Views, Location, Cleanliness.

• Aquacraig's Profile Photo

Good location , friendly service.

While we only did an inspection on this hotel we found that it would have been much better than our booked hotel. Rooms looked good and clean, a great view of the ocean from the front balcony too. Would recommend this hotel before accepting any others nearby.

Unique Quality: Fantastic view.

More about Hotel Villa Schuler

Taormina favorite

by pata2479 about Hotel Villa Schuler

I always return to this hotel because of the quality of the rooms, service and location for a price that is reasonable. Ask for top floor junior suites that have a terrace which have views of the sea and MT. Etna.
A great breakfast is served on a large terrace with the same view.

Stunning Stay at Villa Schuler

by TripAdvisor Member romaboots

My husband and I stayed at the Villa Schuler for 4 nights in Sept. Our room had a lovely patio/deck overlooking the sea with an absolutely gorgeous view. The room itself was extremely comfortable with great amenities and was very quiet. The hotel has lovely gardens both in front and back of the hotel overlooking the sea. We had breakfast there each day and it was a very wonderful way to start each day. The location is right down a flight of steps from the main pedestrian street in Taormina and near the sights, restaurants, shops and other attractions. We highly recommend the Villa Schuler.

Spoil Yourself at Villa Schuler, Taormina

by TripAdvisor Member bulldozer

We were delighted with our accommodation at Villa Schuler. The room was spacious, well appointed and then there was the view. Just breathtaking. Could not fault the accommodation, the amenities, location and the very helpful staff. The breakfast too was more generous than we had come to expect in Italy. The discreet washing line complete with pegs was a useful & thoughtful plus.

Breathtaking views and great location

We just spent 2 weeks in Sicily and Taormina was probably the best stop. After 3 days, Villa Schuler starts to grow on you... its spartan, more German than Italian feeling and the room is coldly decorated, so the 1st impressions aren't terrific... But the rooms are good-sized, views are spectacular, and its a 1 minute walk to the great central Corso for shopping and restaurants. Breakfast on the terrace a hilight. The staff was helpful and they have a WIFI hotspot for Internet and a garage for parking. Our room had a tub with handheld shower...not very luxurious.. and the pillows were not comfortable.

Wonderful place

by TripAdvisor Member madiolosa

I stayed at the Villa Schuler in early May 2005 in the Garden Villa. It was awesome! It was very hard to believe that it was only a 3 star hotel (and I am very picky). There was not a sea view, but the privacy and charm of the Garden Villa made up for it. The private outdoor shower and patio were wonderful and a perfect touch to the villa. The downstairs bathroom with jacuzzi was also a nice amenity. The rooftop views on the main hotel were amazing to say the least. Breakfast was great with a large selection, including cappacinos and fresh fruit served on the veranda overlooking the sea. I enjoyed Taormina very much and hope to travel to Sicilia again soon. The Morgana Bar, just up the stairs from Schuler was also a fun place. They had amazing drinks.

Good quality hotel but with a few faults

by TripAdvisor Member DaveytNewcastleUK

I can agree with almost all the reviews so far. Villa Schuler is nice and comfortable but with a few drawbacks. We arrived to be greeted by name and given a warm welcome, however as days progressed and the staff at reception changed so did their attitude so much so that when we left all we got was a mumbled "bye". So if any of the staff read this please look up from your computer and smile now and then, it won't hurt.
We had a top floor junior suite, very nice if a little smaller than expected, with good quality fittings. The balcony had an excellent view (as long as you were standing up that is) with room for a couple of sunbeds. Give room 29 a miss as the afternoon sun is blocked by the end wall and also a pungent smell wafts up from the drain on the balcony. The garden at the rear is nice as is the breakfast terrace at the front. It's true that it is only 2 minutes from Corso Umberto and that is a great advantage. With the Corso at the rear and the view at the front it really is a prime spot. People have remarked about the cable car to the beach well I'm afraid I found the beach to be horrendous. The beaches along at Naxos are so much nicer so walk down past the Funivia and get the bus along it costs just about the same.
I would stay here again but if I did I would be wondering if I could find somewhere of the same quality but with a little more of a personal touch.

Lovely, boutique hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ligea

This is a very nice small hotel and is great value for money. I had a good experience but can somewhat relate to the reviewer from West Hollywood - efficient but just lacked the warmth that many hotels in Italy do. Nothing major to complain about just felt that the lack of friendliness from the staff contributed to the feeling of something "missing". We had a good sized room with a balcony overlooking the sea, beautiful view (see photo). Little things that stood apart were the room extras you don't find in most hotels: 1) storage shelves in the bathroom to place your toiletries, something you never get in hotels. The bathroom was spotless. 2) Loved the mirror with chandelier wall lights on either side with marble shelf/table to place keys and other odds and ends. 3) Coat hooks in entrance area 4) balcony double doors with one set being a complete blockout. Other special touches were the many seating areas which is a rarity in hotels, apart from a lobby. This place had its own botannical garden out back with 3 separate sitting areas and a gated entrance/exit literally just a couple of minutes walk to the main street. At the front was a huge terrace built on carved rock overlooking the sea (see photo). It was used for alfresco breakfast and you had a choice of seating - either on lovely wrought iron cushioned tables & chairs or in the gazebo, which had sliding glass windows to protect you from elements. Breakfast was nice with a large bread basket laden with all types of yummy breads and croissants. Little disappointing was the fruit compote I ordered from the breakfast menu (not a buffet) which I expected to be fresh but was simply a packaged fruit puree. The terrace is open all day if you choose to simply sit and take the view in or relax with a good book, and still have privacy due to the size of the terrace and many seats to choose from. It was by far and away the most beautiful thing about Villa Schuler. And so liberating to have somewhere to sit other than your hotel room! I would highly recommend this place and return myself.

mixed feelings

by TripAdvisor Member rofl101

Some nice features -- the views and garden are indeed excellent, and the location is prime -- a modest climb and you are in the center of town. The room itself was adequate, nothing special, with noisy air conditioning (and a on/off light that shone right on the bed), a smallish bathroom and an erratic supply of hot water. The entire operation is very Germanic (as are most of the guests), so it is efficient but not especially friendly (and totally lacking the charm typical of Italian hotels). Lots of little bothers were part of the attitude, especially charges for things free at other places we stayed (Internet, beach towels, breakfast extras). Getting real advice on restaurants was impossible -- only the two that had links to the hotel were ever recommended. We were on our own with luggage, not an easy task given the garage is down the stairs and down the street. Bottom line is that the location made this hotel functionally fine -- but can’t say we really enjoyed the place. If we visit Taormina again, we will look elsewhere; but would certainly stay here again if need be.

Holidays in Taormina

by beautifulanddoomed

Hello,

I planned to spend relaxing holidays with my wife in Taormina during the first two weeks of September.
I'm going to make a reservation at the Hotel Villa Schuler as I found this place very comfortable and from their own website (www.hotelvillaschuler.com) seems to be runned with passion.

Does anyone know this hotel? Do you have any other suggestion?
I just want to be sure to make the right choice...

Thanks

Re: Holidays in Taormina

by joeco9

Hi , Hotel Villa Schuler Looks ok , you may like to took at Hotel Condor we found it ok and stuff very helpful ,good B/fast as well .

Re: Holidays in Taormina

by dory77

I don't know that particular one, but I did find nice lodgings last fall through www.italiancollection.com They were very helpful and found me something lovely, and I used them again this year for Florence and a few other spots. Some friends recommended them to me and they've never steered us wrong; plus their site is easy to use and full of a selection of prices and properties. Always worth a look, so happy hunting!

Comments