Via degli Argonauti 1, Tarquinia, 01010, Italy
Hotel Velcamare
Booking.com Priceline.com Travelocity

More about Tarquinia

Looking towards the sea (JPH pic)Looking towards the sea (JPH pic)

Detail of a painted tombDetail of a painted tomb

By the beautiful seaBy the beautiful sea

TarquiniaTarquinia

transport

by prodgers32

It is possible to get a bus from Chivitavecchia to Tarquinia.
A small group of 8 friends are arriving aboard the Thomson spirit on the 17th June and wish to visit this picturesque little town. So far, we have been unable to find any way to get to it. Please help

by leics

Get a train. There are quite a lot of them, it's easy and can take as little as 11 minutes.

(click 'buy' for fares).

by leics

You will have to search for 'Civitavecchia' on Trenitalia, by the way.

The relevant bus company is at www.cotralspa.it but their website is inaccessible for me at the moment.

by domenicococozza

There are regular buses running daily to Tarquinia from Civitavecchia.
The first bus leaves at 0625 and the last one goes at 2030.
Check out Cotral s.p.a. who operate the service, Journey time is about 20 minutes.
When you go to the Cotral site, click on 'orari' for timetable.

by mccalpin

Dominic and J correctly point out that there is both bus service and rail service between Civitavecchia and Tarquinia. I can't get to the Cotral website at the moment either, but I do recall that the buses were not as frequent as you might like, meaning that you might have to come back earlier than you would like, depending on when your ship departs (and allowing for delays).

The train is frequent, but while the Civitavecchia station is right in town, the Tarquinia rail station is way out of town - it's actually on the other side of the SS1 highway, which itself is at least a kilometer from the town. I'm guessing that it's more than 2 kilometers away from the city itself - I'd tell you more exactly, but I can't find the scale any longer on the revised www.viamichelin.com website (otherwise a fine mapping tool for Europe).

Since there are 8 of you, have you considered renting a van that seats 7-9 people? You won't have any luggage, so even if there are only 7 seats, somebody can sit on the floor for the 10-15 minute trip. The way to get there is quite simple - take the SS675 or even the SS1 (Via Aurelia) north up to where they both merge with the A12 and become the (new) SS1. Not far up the road, there is a clearly marked exit for Tarquinia (in fact, there are probably two). Get off the SS1 and head east and you'll run right into town. We drove into the first piazza and turned right and parked in a municipal lot behind a large restaurant, then got out and walked. The national Etruscan museum is on that first piazza, and the rest of the town isn't that large anyway. You may want to come back to the car to drive out the southeast side of town (as I recall) to the Etruscan tombs, which are outside the city wall. I've both walked (with a friend when we were both younger) and driven (with my wife), and if time is a concern, you'll want to drive over to the field so that you can drive straight back to Civitavecchia.

So, you now suffer an embarrassment of choices...;-)

Bill

Travel Tips for Tarquinia

Never on a Sunday

by Bunsch

Not limited to Tarquinia...it seems that Italians take seriously the admonition that one is to keep the sabbath day holy, at least the Italians who are involved in the restaurant trade. We had a very difficult time finding an open restaurant in the city, although there were a number of places open along the lido (if you could find parking).

When in Rome (or Tarquinia), do as the Romans do

by Bunsch

I must have led a charmed life up to this particular venture to Italy, because in all the other countries I visited, English was either one of the standard languages or, in the case of France, I spoke the ambient tongue. I suppose I expected that many, if not most, of the hoteliers and shop keepers and transport personnel in Italy would speak at least a modicum of English. I didn't invest in a phrase-book (although it turned out my companion had brought one along). What arrogance! I have only myself to blame for the multiple times when language barriers led to absurd or disappointing results. (It is hard to ask for directions when you can't articulate where you want to go -- and can't understand when someone tries to help out.)

Probably no one reading this tip would make such a foolish mistake, but just in case...either learn enough Italian to get by, or keep a phrase-book or English-Italian dictionary close at hand. I promise you'll have a more enjoyable visit.

(And as one VT'er says in a very funny motto which I will badly paraphrase, speaking English slowly and very loudly does NOT make it more comprehensible!)

Comments