Savoy Palace Hotel

Costs 24% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Savoy Palace Hotel

Brilliant Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member jamerooki

We have just returned from a wonderful holiday in Lake Garda. While on holiday we stayed at the Hotel Savoy Palace in Riva Del Garda, this hotel was well worth the money! The staff were very friendly and helpful and the hotel itself was immaculately clean. We would definately recommend this hotel and would suggest anyone thinking of holidaying in Lake Garda to do so, you won't regret it!!

A very nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Quidden

We stayed at the Savoy Palace Hotel in July 2006 and weren't disappointed. Although our room was a touch on the small side it had a great view of the mountains and was very clean as was the rest of the hotel. All staff were friendly and helpful.

The food was good although the range of dishes served throughout the week were fairly limited. However there was no danger of going hungry with four to five courses per night. They also hold one gala evening per week. Entertainment was also provided most nights although there wasn't much variety we enjoyed it.

Its a couple of minutes walk down to the lake front and a further 15-20 minute walk into Riva along the very picturesque path by the lake. Riva itself was beautiful with excellent ferry links to the rest of the lake.

We'd definitely stay there again!

A Complete let down!

by TripAdvisor Member CorkTravelbug

I have just returned from a two week holiday at the Savoy with my teenage son and I feel obliged to warn anyone thinking of booking this hotel about the food. It was to put it mildly completely appalling, I have never in my life been served such tat! with such florish! The hotel had been recommended by a relative of a friend and having read the reviews on this site I went very optimistically to what I thought was a 4 star hotel how wrong I was. The first night we arrived at 1.15 in the morning when we got to our room we discovered the beds had been made up as a double and not the twin requested when we went back to reception to rectify the problem I explained there was no way my 16 yr old son was going to share a bed with his mother and vice versa, I was told nothing could be done, sleep in the chair in the foyer, the night porter refused to call a manager or a holiday rep luckily a friend was staying in a single room and swopped rooms with us for the first night until we alerted the cleaning staff the beds were to be made up as twin beds. Three days later water poured in through an electrical light fitting after some heavy downfalls when I rang reception I was told tomorrow when I explained it was dangerous and also the site of many previous leaks that had been shoddily repaired they sent someone to the room who emptied the light fitting and told us not to use switch and it would be tomorrow before it could be repaired. Only until I asked to be put through to my holiday rep was I offered a room change (much smaller then my original room but at least dry!)..too dry a few days later the shower head broke and then we had no water until someone came to fix it and replaced the shower head the next day. The food throughout the first week was inedible I had to give my son money to go to the pizza restaurant around the corner after dinner every night, it did slightly improve in the second week when the owner and his wife appeared on the scene but it still was nowhere near the 4 star its supposed to be and what we had paid for! It was also a good 25 minute walk into Riva and is back from the lake also the service was shoddy they couldn't manage to take an order for three drinks at one time, we'd get the water, 10mins later the wine might come and 1 night we were waiting 25 minutes and had to ask two different waiters when the final drink (pineapple juice-not rocket fuel) was going to arrive. There was nothing for the teenage visitor bar a broken down pool table, the pool area in fairness was quite good however the pool could have done with a clean out as there was some debris at the bottom of it. All in all I can only say the area is lovely and we enjoyed our holiday despite the hotel..........If you like good food and good table service avoid this hotel like the plague!!!!

Excellent in every way

by TripAdvisor Member Shazzy19

Having just spent 5 days at this hotel on my own it was brilliant. Nothing to criticise at all. The room was more than adequate for a person on their own. Pool and surroundings excellent. Food and service Grade 1.
The view from my room was also excellent.
No faults whatsoever - I would recommend this hotel to anyone and cannot wait to return there.

stay ok at the Savoy

by TripAdvisor Member blonder_ambitions

This was a small family run hotel. We received a warm and friendly welcome, and a free drink in the bar whilst our room was finished (this took all of 1/2 an hour).

Hotel decor was a little dated, but our room was clean, and a good size and included a flat screen tv. We decided not to pay for a lake view prior to arrival and whilst our view was towards the back of the hotel and overlooking a mixture of mountains, car park, vineyards and another hotel's swimming pool, it was still very pleasant. We were on the fourth floor (the fifth is the top) and were not sure that a lake view would have been possible from the location of the hotel, so probably not worth paying any additional money for.

The bathroom was good, a whirlpool bath and modern shower cubicle forming part of the bath, although this may have been difficult for those who have difficulties using showers over baths, particularly because the showering area was not particularly large. Towels were changed every day without any prompting. In addition the room also had separate beach towels for use by the pool area.

We were on a half board basis, but a nice touch was that the hotel provided free afternoon tea and cake every afternoon. Food was plentiful and varied. Breakfast consisted of the usual continental; fruits, yoghurts, breads, cakes, cheeses, meats, together with fresh eggs for boiling etc. At breakfast each day, each table received a menu for the evening and guests could then chose what they wanted for dinner, with three choices for each of starter, main course and dessert. At dinner, the first course comprised salads and bread presented as a buffet, then followed the house anti-pasti, and then the three further chosen courses from breakfast. As a non-fish eater I had no problems with the menu choices, and am confident that if it had been a problem a quick word at reception would have been enough to solve it. During the day, a separate restaurant, the poolside snack bar and further bar served a combination of food and drinks which were added to the room bill.

In terms of other facilities, the hotel had a table tennis table with bats etc available from reception. The outdoor pool area was very nice including fountains etc together with a plentiful supply of sun lounges and umbrellas. One warning, the pool itself was not heated. Inside there is a smaller heated pool which seemed to be serving the younger guests and families. In addition, the hotel offered free bike hire which we particularly enjoyed.

In terms of location, the hotel is at the further end of Riva away from the main centre, and about a 20 minute gentle stroll along the beach front which was well lit and very pleasant. Notwithstanding this, there are plenty of restaurants and bars and ice cream parlours in the local vicinity.

Over all we thought the hotel was very pleasant and we enjoyed our holiday. Pluses were the friendly welcome, plentiful food and the nice touches (e.g. free afternoon tea, bike hire, drinks evenings) which wouldn't be a feature of a large train. On the negatives, the hotel coffee is dire - a nasty automatic machine - and the hotel is probably not suitable for those who want or need a more central location. In addition, the evening "entertainment" is definitely more geared towards the older guests and featured a keyboard player "singing" to the cronies - not the cup of tea to anyone under the age of about 45 (but it is Lake Garda after all!). We would recommend this hotel.

It's good

by TripAdvisor Member lightfeather

Savoy Hotel is fine. It's a large hotel, most suited to older clientelle as we were the only young couple staying there, but as in every hotel, people change from week to week. The room was great, very large, good restaurant, good indoor pool and large open spaces on the ground floor. At night a small band took to the stage for the older generation, spirits were high, lots of happy faces. The Savoy hotel is in a great location, you can take a boat ride from Riva which is a 10 min relaxing walk from hotel to any port or town on the lake. Young or old Riva Del Garda is a beautiful place, you can't but love it!!!!!

Not what we expected. Approach with caution.

by TripAdvisor Member richm67

Be warned that this hotel is NOT a four star by most standards. I'm from Ireland and a four star here would be quite special. The rooms we got were very bland. No fridge, small TV, no chairs, small balcony. There was a mechanical digger operating on our side of the hotel (mountain view side) all week belonging to the hotel. Unacceptable in the holiday season. We complained to reception to little avail. We couldn't open the balcony door as a result. No air-conditioning as it was too early. We changed rooms. Quieter on the front! We paid what we thought was good money for a four star and by my standards got a sub 3 star. Nice pool though. Fab view of the mountains from the first room.
The food is nothing special but just acceptable. We paid for half board but ate out each night by choice as the hotel was boring and we wanted to sample the real Italian food. The hotel is definitely for older folks. It's a godd 15 to 20 min walk to the town centre. That aside Riva was absolutely beautiful. It's a gorgeous resort with an excellent lake front. Great restaurants. We loved the place. Would go back again but to a different hotel.

Fantastic :)

by TripAdvisor Member MancGirl25

I stayed at the Savoy Palace during Christmas. By english standards this isnt a 4* hotel, however by Italian standards it definitely is! Its one of the nicest Italian hotels I have stayed in.

Rooms are basic but extremely large. Our room could have done with a lick of paint but it was very clean and bedding and towels were changed every day. The room also had a small balcony with beautiful views of the surrounding mountains.

The restaurant was very welcoming and staff very friendly and helpful, there was a cold buffet included each evening which was excellent, this had a variety of salad, vegetables and cold meats, there was no choice of menu however the meals were quite varied (meat, fish, Italian dishes etc).

The bar was very nice and busy each evening but orders were taken and drinks arrived quickly. The entertainment consisted of a man with a keyboard playing along to the same tunes every night, it did get a little annoying after the second night!

The hotel is quite a distance from Riva town, although the walk into the town was very pleasant, either walking by the lake side or along the main road, obviously as it was out of season there wasnt much open in Riva so cant really comment on it fairly as I would imagine it would be completely different during the summer.

Garda is absolutely beautiful though and I would definitely consider returning to Riva during the summer and definitely staying at the Savoy again.

Didn't want to come home!

by TripAdvisor Member mandy-Northampton

Just arrived back from a week at the Savoy and didn't want to come home. First time in Lake Garda and it was wonderful! Flew into Verona and took about 1.5 hours to get to Riva del Garda. Hotel was great albeit at the the beginning of their season so they were adding flowers and cleaning around the grounds. Room was very nice, had a whirlpool bath, think they have done some of the rooms up. No fridge in room but saw a delivery being made so think they were putting one in. Safe in our room which was free or some had a refundable deposit so no charge. Staff were great (especially Alexandro and Nabil). Manager was very friendly, came around each evening to talk to guests and was even doing diy around the hotel during the day, definitely a first!
They have free bike hire and area is very flat. Went out for 3 hours around Riva and had a great time. Next town is Torbole which you can walk to in about 30 mins. Takes about 20 minutes to walk into Riva from hotel, and you can catch a ferry from there to Limone and Malcesine. Malcesine is a must. Cobbled streets and a nice castle. Food could be a bit better but definitely didn't go hungry with so many courses. Bar prices compared with bars in Riva.
Overall would definitely go back and wish we were still there!

Comments