Hotel Millefiori

10 Vallonga, Vigo di Fassa, 38039, Italy

More about Vigo di Fassa

Hard to ignoreHard to ignore

The majesty of the DolomitiThe majesty of the Dolomiti

Travel Tips for Vigo di Fassa

The Pordoi

by iandsmith

At 2,950 metres it's a bit of a standout amongst many dramatic peaks in the Dolomites. While driving out on the last day I took this picture. It's the sort of spectacle that beckons you to unload your camera, even though you're on a snow and ice covered road without chains (I did request them when I hired my vehicle but they didn't have any).

The road out

by iandsmith

I was heading towards Cortina on my last day. The word from my landlady was that Passo Pordoi was closed. The word from her husband at the garage was that Passo Falzarego, near Cortina, was closed.
Others thought they were both closed but someone said Pordoi was open.
So it was that I took the bit between my teeth and tried the pass. It was icy, it was snow-covered, though not too deep as you can clearly see in the picture.
What I tried to do was get behind another vehicle, optimistically hoping it would break the ice to a degree and hopefully I would get some traction, however little.
Suffice it to say I made it, not only over Pordoi but Falzarego as well. I think they were both closed but that didn't stop a smattering of traffic using them anyway.

Comments