Strada Neva, 4, Vigo di Fassa, 38030, Italy
Hotels.com Expedia.com Venere.com

Costs 97% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Vigo di Fassa

How could you not like this place?How could you not like this place?

Mobile sardine cityMobile sardine city

Travel Tips for Vigo di Fassa

Campitello to Col Rodella

by iandsmith

I had checked the maps out the night before and decided it was Sass Pordoi for me, but life doesn't always go according to plan. I quote here from my Emails:-
THE QUEUE
It's funny the directions life can take. For instance, this morning I drove a few kilometres to Campitello to get the Rondella cable car for my huge day on the mountains. By virtue of my keenness I was about eighth car in the carpark, unpacked everything and proceeded down one of those airport type queues where you zig-zag 500 metres to gain 30. Still, I was in. Ticket office, per favore? Oh, it's outside. Never mind, it's only 8.15, still early. As I repair outside the increase in approaching traffic is alarming as I am buffeted all the way back through the zig-zag by inbound skiers. Never mind, I'm fourth in the ticket queue, won't be long.
The man in front has some money in his hand he's counting out in a deliberate and pronounced manner. Just a moment, he's finished with that lot and pulls more out. Another couple of minutes and he says, "That's 3,000, right?"
F---, that's a lot of tickets buddy. He pulls more out and gets to 4,000 then, with smaller denominations he counts to 5,000.............slowly.
The queue increases, people are looking anxiously at their watches. He gets to 5,300 and then there's a dispute over the amount, 5,322 euros (over $8,500). Just what the waiting didn't need! Finally he gets it resolved and he gets issued his 13, 1, 16, 18 and 1 long-term passes for different time frames. Next man, who'd had an anxiety attack several times, is served quickly then the next lady has a problem. "My son has a pass till next Friday but he can't use it till next week, can I get a refund or extension please?"
"Only with a doctor's certificate."
"He is a doctor."
"He'll have to get another doctor"
It's all getting too Monty Pythonesque for me so I reach past, signal "uno" and get my ticket. It's now 20 minutes later and the buses are here as I fight my way back to the cable car. Damn, there are around 200 people and they've just closed the entry gate. The cable car comes. I estimate it can hold about 20. Everyone on the other side of the gate disappears inside. I'm stunned, it takes about 120! I'm up for the next one, still unbelieving but we pack in. The only thing someone forgot was a sign over the door "Welcome to Sardine City".
P.S. The little dot in the sky is the cable car.

Made it

by iandsmith

When you head slightly west it takes you downhill from where you can catch either of two chairlifts. I'd recommend the enclosed one as it takes you up to a delightful trio of runs. From the same point there is an easy, an intermediate and an expert run. They only take a couple of minutes which is about the length I like. With the picturesque peaks of Catinaccio Rosengarten behind you, you can ski uncrowded slopes all day.
It's such a special place but in the Dolomites it's just one of many.
I so enjoyed myself here. I was on the first chair up in the morning and the first three runs I had in one third of a metre of fresh powder, only my tracks were there. Loved it!

Comments