Hotel Vigo

Travel Tips for Vigo di Fassa

Gruppo del Sella

by iandsmith

Email continued:-
The four English guys had hired a guide so I decide to go with them as one appears to be about my standard - on this heartbreaking slope - pathetically poor!
The group has to constantly wait for him as he loses skis in the deep snow and has extreme difficulty locating them half the time, let alone putting them back on. Any recovery at around 9,000 feet is also very slow and requires much heavy breathing. Yep, he's about my standard.
Progress is painfully gained for me and my newfound friend, Jason. While the guide and Hamish are top level and the other two not far behind, Jason and I wallow in our mediocrity and the metre deep soft snow After we turned the corner the majesty of the Gruppo del Sella became apparent, as shown here, all 3,152 metres of it.

One of the world's great places

by iandsmith

"Italy's number one spot you should visit"

I'm not specifically referring to Vigo di Fassa of course, it's the Dolomites per se that drag me north every year.
Getting up close and personal with places like Catinaccio Rosengarten, Sass Pordoi and Marmolada aren't things you forget in a hurry.
One of the world's most stunning mountain ranges is virtually ignored by English speaking people. If you haven't brushed up on your German or Italian (or you never had it to brush up on like me) you could find yourself without good conversation for days on end.
Understandably that didn't deter me, I was there to converse with nature, not people, though a chat would have been lovely.
This time I went specifically to ski for a couple of days and take photos the other. Sounded good in theory but how can you find yourself in a place such as this and not take pictures continually.

Comments