Villa Ricci Hotel

More about Chianciano Terme

CLOTHING QUESTION

by friendly3330

Hi VTers,
Here is another question. On Sept.16-22 will be in Chianciano Terme. We know Italians love to wear black clothing and we do too. But when we come there the temperature is supposed to be about 26 degrees Celcius (76 degrees F) so is it all right to also wear some other colors?? Since black clothing absorbs the sun's rays and makes one feel hotter, we were wondering if we would look out of place wearing different colors? At home we wear other colors in warmer weather.

Thanks once again...........

by Beausoleil

Italians do not all wear black clothing all the time. Italy is a fashion capital of the world and they have many colors and kinds of clothing. They are also seen in jeans and sneakers. Wear what you please just remembering that your shoulders and knees must be covered to go into many Italian churches.

Khaki slacks and light cotton tops are fine anywhere.

BTW, it's funny to me but in California 76 F is considered cool. I usually wear a sweater then. LOL

by Lia80

Mmmmmhh...I must say that I had never heard that Italians often wear black clothing...ok, we do sometimes, but I don't think that's a standard. As far as I am concerned, I wear more black clothes during the winter, but during the summer I like to be coloured! :)

by Manara

The myth about Italians-in-black must be due to the fact that in Milan women have this habit. Italians from all other parts of the country say they are still living in the '80s.
Black may be right for the evening, but during the day wear colours, or white, or light grey, which is very much on fashion now.

by friendly3330

Thanks to all. We appreciate your help and will know what to pack now........

by Doug-S

The answer is simple... whatever you're comfortable in. No matter what you where: color, style, etc, etc, they are going to know IMMEDIATELY you're not Italian. The camera around your neck will give you away.

All you need to know are shoulder covered and no bare middles for churches.

Beyond that, have fun, take in the sights and relax....

Comments