Al Citerno Bed and Breakfast

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Fiesole

The view of Florence in the early eveningThe view of Florence in the early evening

The Cathedral of FiesoleThe Cathedral of Fiesole

Ruins of the Roman baths and Lombard necropolisRuins of the Roman baths and Lombard necropolis

the Brerathe Brera

Fiesole -- have you been there?

by santaelena99

Hi - I'd be grateful for advice/info from anyone who has stayed in Fiesole. We (Australian & American) are getting married in Feb 2004 in Florence and plan to stay in Fiesole, preferably in a villa. But we're having trouble finding much information on the place or any villas there.
If you've been there or know where to get good info, can you please give me some hints?

thanks !

by Manara

For renting a villa see these websites: www.vrbo.com and www.vacation-italy.com.

by zuriga

Check out www.fiesole.com - and you can also do a Google search for more information. I remember there being a very fine hotel in Fiesole - the Villa San Michelle or something close to that.

by gavinc

Have you considered an appartment in a villa on the outskirts of Florence. It's at the base of the hill on which Fiesole is located.
My review is at:

There is a link below the title at this site to Carlo's website.

by santaelena99

Hey everyone thanks for all the advice, I've been following up and it really helps.

And Gavin thanks for the great idea! I have emailed Carlos for info on the rates (the ones on the web were for 2001) -- hopefully I had the right email address.

When you returned in 2002 was everything as great as you remembered?

Thanks heaps for your help.

by gavinc

In 2002, we only stayed for two days (3 nights). Just as good as 2000, however because it was a short rental we had the upstairs apartment. It's kitchen is smaller but that wasn't an issue as I will explain. It's major plus is that you can see the dome of the Duomo from the dining room window.

If I was staying for the week I'd book the downstairs appartment as it is large and opens onto the swilling pool and lawn.

Last year, we only returned because we wanted to entertain Carlo and his family, and a family who operate a nearby Alimentari. Two brothers, the wife of one and their new daughter. They became wonderful friends in 2000, and we have kept in contact between trips. Carlo let us use his kitchen, and we prepared an extensive meal. We sat out in their courtyard, dining till well after midnight.

If you don't hear from Carlo, let me know and I'll track him down.

by santaelena99

Gavin -- I contacted Carlo and he got right back to me .... unfortunately he is already booked for all of February 2004! I'm not surprised since it all sounds so good, but I'm disappointed -- would've been a great place to stay and I would have liked to meet him and his family. But, not to be I guess. He mentioned he has a small cottage available that would sleep a maximum of four...we were looking to sleep six but could be swayed if the cottage was wonderful...are you familiar with it?
Again thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

by gavinc

Sorry, don't know anything about a cottage. Unless he means the cottage inside the front gates which he uses as an office. I'll drop him a line and check.

by gavinc

Carlo sent me this reply:
"No, the cottage I sayd is here.30 mt. far from the house. Was the pig's
house, fully restored last year ( demolished and rebuilt). Is very very
nice, but, I think, wonderful for 2. 4 can sleep ( and have slept). But 6 ,
I think, stay like anchoises, and have about no space for walking).
May be when we where teen agers but now.......The net surface is 33 m2.
The 2 aprtments you know are booked till 1 sept. 2004 ( from next 15 oct).
Is a long term rental. For your friend - if she trust and don't find
anithing different, we can do so :
3 people stay here, in the cottage. 3 people stay downtown, 4 km far(or 4
and 2 people) . There is a friend of mine that is restoring an apartment (
shall be ended in late November), and has a very nice apart. for 2-4 to
rent. There is even a small garden, and, in Februay, there is not the
problem of hot of the town. And, having a car, is not difficult to go from
one to the other ap.( 10-15 minutes, with normal trafic)

The Cottage on the hills is 30 km. far from Florence, in a dreaming place,
in a national park and natural reserve, near the Abbey of Vallombrosa (6 km)
on the "Abbeys way " (is a small street, where you can go only walking or
with an horse,on the top of the mountains - Appennini, Pirenei, German's and
French's mountains- that start from the south of Italy, and goes on the left
till Santiago de Compostela, on the right Cluny, and the abbeys in the north
of German. You find an abbey about every 30-40 km. In the middle age was
used by the pilgrims. Surely there can sleep 6. Is 180 m2. But is not yet
built. Probably we start building next spring, because there were a lot of
problems with the public administrations. Now they are giving permissions.Of
course at this cottage we can arrive by car."

by santaelena99

Thanks Gavin for all this information! I really appreciate the trouble you went to. This certainly gives us something to work with, and I can't wait to get over there.
thanks again...!

by ninetta

TRY THIS: http://www.secret-tuscany.com/bed_breakfast.php?id=8
Good luck!

Travel Tips for Fiesole

Hypocaust

by leics

The Roman/ Etruscan site is not particularly well-signed (and the guide is not very detailed). Make sure you see the (reconstructed) hypocaust in the baths. This efficient form of underfloor heating was much-used across the Roman empire (and particularly useful in the UK, I should think). Fires were lit outside the building and the warm air channelled underneath (and, in many case, up the walls as well, using a system of flue tiles). Very efficient, assuming you had capable servants in charge of the fires. As a Roman bath-house usually had both warm and hot rooms, a good hypocaust system was a necessity.

View from the top

by iandsmith

One of the things you should budget for your time is to sit and sup overlooking the plains of Florence.
I can tell you I eyed off with envy the people in the Blu Bar at the Ristorante Aurora on the Piazza Mino da Fiesole.
The lovely garden atmosphere and the expansive vista was oooooh so tempting. Alas, time did not allow but I can tell you those that were there didn't look too stressed.

My sort of place........................

by leics

Easily accessible from Florence (bus 7 from S Novella station), up in the hills, away from the crowds, Roman and Etruscan ruins...................yes, definitely very pleasant.

There's a nice church (founded 1028), worth a visit, excellent views of Florence and the surrounding hills/ villages (though it was very overcast and chilly when I visited) and some rather good ruins. These are in the Museo Archeologico (7 euros entry), and include a theatre (still used, apparently), baths and temple.

Fiesole was more important in Etruscan and Roman times than Florence, hence the ruins. The Etruscans enclosed the town with walls of huge stones, some of which are still standing just below the museum site. The museum itself is extremely well-presented, with numerous artefacts and sculpture found locally as well as other bits and pieces (eg ancient Greek artefacts). More photos of ruins and museum pieces in the travelogue below.

There are a couple of other interesting churches, which I didn't have time to visit, places to eat in the main square and pleasant lanes to wander. It would be a good to take a picnic there, I think, although it was far too chilly on my visit. Maybe next time.

More archaeology, art and religion

by egonwegh

We visited both the museum on the grounds of the archaeological excavations and the local Museo Bandini.

A vase, obviously inspired by Greek art, and a canopic jar with the head of a jackall that seemed very Egyptian, we'd seen similar jars at the Luxor Museum

"Bandini Museum"

St. Peter (San Pietro Apostolo), terracotta statue from the workshop of Giovanni Della Robbia, around 1520.

St. Agnes (Sant'Agnese), terracotta statue by Santi Buglioni, dated 1510-1520.

A Nativity scene at the Bandini Museum, painted by the 'Maestro della predella dell'Ashmolean Museum' around the years 1380-1385. We thought this might look good as our Christmas card for this year...

Comments