Via San Gallo, 80, Florence, Tuscany, 50129, Italy
Booking.com Hotels.com Venere.com

More about Antica Dimora Johlea

by TripAdvisor Member Rudiwitsch

A very nice and quiet place with a lot of charm! The room was large and very tastefully arranged. We felt very well looked after and can recommend this place for everyone who is looking for something special in Florence!

Loved our week at Antica Dimora Johlea

by TripAdvisor Member Travel_buff_Vanc

My partner and I stayed for 7 nights and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

It a fabulous B&B, great breakfast food, very helpful receptionist staff, very clean linens and beds. Everything from a warm and friendly welcome to self serve bar and snacks added to the comfort. Great showers and bathrooms with fresh air.

Top floor rooms add a lot of light to the rooms. Decorated in beautiful fabrics and furniture. Best part is the roof top deck is fabulous for breakfast and sipping wine at sunsets - or just lounging reading a book during the day. Free internet access and a comfortable common room to meet other guests.

The location is a few minutes from the major attractions so it tends to be quiet.

All in all a delightful stay and wonderful staff.

Lovely hotel and surprisingly family-friendly

by TripAdvisor Member LyndaBK

My family just returned yesterday from a trip to Venice and Florence. We stayed at the Antica Dimora Johlea for four nights, in two of their deluxe double rooms (Dad and 11-year-old son in one, Mom and 15-year-old daughter in the other). The rooms are beautiful, warmly decorated, and very charming. No cookie-cutter hotel feel here! The beds and windows are hung with lovely silk fabrics, bed linens are crisp and comfortable, the floors are rustic tile, and the furniture appears to be authentic antique. Since this was a "palazzo" before its conversion to a hotel, the rooms are elegant, with enormously high ceilings and large windows. The bathrooms are reasonably large, and everything is kept spotlessly clean.

The breakfast room upstairs is small but lovely, and the included breakfast was simple--breads, jam, yogurt, cereal, fruit--but perfectly adequate considering how much we ate for lunch and dinner each day at restaurants nearby! And the rooftop terrace gives a spectacular view of the city. In spite of the cold March weather, my husband and I visited the terrace at least once or twice each day; it was especially beautiful the night before Easter, having a glass of wine under the full moon and watching the lights at nearby churches while bells rang for Mass.

Most of the major sites of Florence (the Duomo, the David, the Baptistry, the Ponto Vecchio) are within walking distance--which is very useful, because visitor traffic is dramatically restricted in this part of Florence. (If you're visiting the historic sites during any high-season periods, be sure to ask the front desk to arrange for your entrance tickets in advance, because the lines for non-reserved visitors at these sites are sometimes 2 or 3 hours long.) And there are many wonderful restaurants nearby--and lots of shopping!

Finally, we found the hotel to be very accommodating to our teenagers, including allowing my son unrestricted use of their internet-connected computer in the breakfast room. Since my 15-year-old can't stand being out of touch with her friends for more than a few hours, she brought her laptop and was able to use the hotel's wireless very easily (MUCH cheaper than paying for a cellphone connection overseas!).

While the rooms weren't inexpensive (especially because we needed two rooms to have adequate sleeping space for the four of us), we thought it was well worth the price. Truly a unique Florentine experience!

Home from Home

by TripAdvisor Member geraldine1

Three young retired people from England and Switzerland! Can't tell you better than this... after a tiring day visiting this beautiful city we just said "let's go home" rather than saying "let's get back to the hotel"!! The rooms were so florentine, with 4-poster beds and attractive colours. The staff were great, always available to answer our requests. Central.... 10 minutes walk from the Duomo. We hardly needed to take a bus during our whole one week stay. Have already passed on this address to our friends. Thankyou Staff for your friendly welcome each time we opened the door to your "hotel-apartment". Yes, just 6 rooms, so very cosy and personal.
Geraldine Ewen, Switzerland

Perfect hideaway for a city break

by TripAdvisor Member STandHabo

My wife and I stayed here with a another couple for a long weekend in April 2008. We were looking for something different to the usual anonymous hotel in cities and were very impressed with what we found (once we found it on the top floor!). The rooms were very nicely furnished and bigger than we expected, breakfast was plentiful and the location was just right.
Staff were friendly and knowledgeable - and the terrace was perfect, if a little cold for our trip in the evenings.
I would have no hesitation in coming back - it's not cheap (the GBP / EUR exchange rate has seen to that) but it's certainly not overpriced either. If you're going to Florence this is a great place to stay.

romantic honeymoon

by TripAdvisor Member Hanau_MainMargra

Great stay! We have just returned from a 4-days-stay in this guesthouse. Very friendly staff. Helped us to get museum tickets at the last moment and to organise a walking tour through Florence. In our availability request we asked for a romantic room for honey mooners and we really got a beautiful room: four-poster bed, silk curtains, and a bottle of wine with best wishes for the newly wedded from the owners and the staff. We appreciated it a lot! A wonderful breakfast is served in the cosy breakfast room on the second floor . At sunset my wife and I had a glass of Chianti-wine sitting on the roof terrace with a breathtaking view all over Florence and the surroundings hills. The inn has only six rooms, all with four poster beds, large walk-in showers and - so we have been told - one room has a bath tub. We loved our stay there, it´s like having a home far away from home. Will go back there at the end of the year.

A Scam

by TripAdvisor Member thetennisplayer

I'm probably the 1st to give this a bad review but I'm extremely disappointed with the property. After reading all the exceptional reviews we arrived today to be totally disappointed. My husband and I come to Florence about 2/year. Our room is so small that we can't even open our suitcases. The bed is only a double and the pillows are as flat as pancakes. Mine-fridge? Guess that's in the other rooms. We aren't picky, but when a property posts pictures of its rooms that do not adequately reflect the reality, this is where the problem sets in. The bathroom is small (OK, I can live with that), but the shower curtain is shorter than the shower stall so that water goes everywhere (I can live with that as well because that's typical of showers in Italy). Not a problem, except that it's one of the old fashioned hair dryers where you have to hold the button down to keep it going and since water can be on the floor from the short shower curtain you have to be cautious. The room is so small there is no space to put a mirror on the wall so you have no option but to dry your hair in the bathroom.

Obviously, we must have the smallest unit(#3) so I would encourage you to stay away (RUN!) from this room if this is all they have available. The terrace is very nice but not worth the small room. You can get better accommodations for the same amount of $ in other places in downtown Florence.

Charming B&B in Florence

by TripAdvisor Member MontrealSof

My husband and I stayed at Antica Johlea for 2 nights. It was very nice, above expectations. The room was nicely decorated, the breakfast area was cozy and welcoming. This B&B was very charming. I don't see why anyone would pay triple the price to go to an anonymous hotel without charm. It was also conveniently located so you could walk to all main attractions in Florence.

Sophie and Ray from Montreal

10 out of 10

by TripAdvisor Member simon_rosie

We have just returned from a great 3-night stay in Florence. This small hotel was fantastic and very well located. Our room was large, quiet, with a 4-poster bed and beautifully furnished. Breakfast was simple but delicious and the views from the roof terrace are fantastic. Above all the staff are excellent and nothing is too much trouble. We highly recommend this place to anyone who prefers small and intimate to large and impersonal. Terrific value all round.

Five Star B&B

by TripAdvisor Member DouglasGFicocelli

This is a lovely residence. The staff was great. The location was quiet and local, but easily walkable to all the major sites, and the breakfast was perfect.

Comments