Via dei Tornabuoni 1, Florence, Tuscany, 50122, Italy

Expedia.com Travelocity Hotels.com

Costs 95% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Horrible!! Warning Bed Bugs!

WARNING:BED BUGS!!!!
    This is Not a Hotel it's a "Residence" according to manager & they can do what ever they want.
    We Paid for a 4 star hotel & got bed bugs. We are mentally& physically scared. My husband and I came to florence to celebrate 10 year anniversary. we were so upset and distraught that we had to leave early. We missed the Uffitizi and accademia museum(of which we had tickets paid and bought for). The Manager did not care and said it was fine, go ahead and leave that they could rent room to someone else. Meanwhile, they charged us an extra night that we did not even stay! They charged credit card without our approval!! I just find this so disturbing & hope no one falls into this trap. We have pictures of the physical bed bug and bites, documentation & will take this further! They claim on trip advisor that they are a hotel, but don't let the 4 stars fool you. They leave the desk at 8 pm without any further assistance, they are rude, snooty, not attentive, do not give wake up calls, the air does not come on- only heat,but on web site it says this so called hotel has air cond. Please don't be tricked, this is so unjustified. We feel that no one should experience this!! Beware!!

Unique Quality: Terrace, but can be found all over Florence. Also, building doesn't look nothing like picture. It is in a large office building- industrial. Nothing special!

Directions: Loud area all day!

• emeybee's Profile Photo

FABULOUS hotel! Stay here!

This was an amazing hotel. I truly cannot find any fault with our stay. The best part hands down was the view... all of the rooms have an amazing view, and if that's not enough you have free access to terraces with panoramic views on all sides. The room was wonderful, very comfortable and clean. Breakfast was great-- meats, cheeses, cereals and fruit. The staff were all wonderfully polite and attentive. Really no faults whatsoever.

Unique Quality: View, view, view. Our room had a perfect view of the Duomo. You can visit ther website and choose your room online-- it has photos of the room itself as well as the view.

We got a great deal on octopustravel.com, so you might want to try that site.

• skywalkerbeth's Profile Photo

You can see forever

well, or at least San Mineato al Monte! I loved this hotel - comfortable room, great terrace views, friendly owners. I am definitely staying here again.

Unique Quality: Huge rooftop terrace. You can see Fiesole, supposedly.

Directions: Designer Row

More about Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni

Wonderful location and facilities.

If you want everything that a Florence hotel can provide then stay here at Antica Torre di via Tornabuoni. Absolutely perfect. The terrace is beautiful and the room and facilities perfect for our 40th Wedding Anniversary celebrations to Tuscany.

highly recommend Antica Torre!

Very nice hotel in the best part of Florence (actually almost all of it is "best"). Nice largish rooms, good bath, with fantstic views make up the amentities of Antica Torre. Talk about a "Room With a View" (which was filmed not too far from here), we had great views out all 3 of our windows.

Most staff was very friendly. Easy to come and go whether the front desk was open or not. While they were not present 24/7, they were there a lot, and able to arrange wake up calls and taxis and give recommendations.

I did not experience broken air conditioning as mentioned in at least 1 other review, but I will say that at night, it seems to go into some type of defrost mode that makes it louder and less cool, which did wake me up a bit as I would get hot. During the heat of the day, the room was generally ice cold, which was refreshing. I never saw mosquitos as mentioned in another review, and the honesty bar had a fully functioning ice machine, which the reviewer complaining about lack of ice probably didn't notice. The honesty bar, is a relatively full self-service bar on the roof, which has fantastic views, and I thought was a great concept in general.

My only complaint would probably the mediocrity of the continental breakfast, and the lack of attentiveness of the staff who replenish it. After our first day, we ate out for breakfast the remainder of our trip. The bathroom also had a US electrical outlet, which was a plus as well.

I would make an inquiry about air conditioning next time, but aside from that would highly recommend Antica Torre!

An amazing experience - Grazie!

We were very fortunate to find this absolutely perfect hotel through Trip Advisor. It only seems fitting that we share with others how amazing we found our stay in early June. Our room was quite large, wonderful bath, fresh flowers and our own terrace - not to be outdone by the two roof top terraces for all guests to use. We seemed to have both terraces to ourselves most nights to watch the sunset over a bottle of wine and back again in the morning for a light breakfast. The staff was extremely helpful and conscious that you were having a great stay. Sandra spoke wonderful English and always had a smile to share with everyone. I believe that staying her made our trip so much more memorable and I would have no reason to stay anyplace else. Thank you!

Expensive, but worth it. We had quite a small room, but it was well decorated and the bathroom was excellent. The terrace is amazing and is accessible at any time for sunbathing. Everyone was really friendly.

The front desk is only manned until 8pm, but there is an emergency number that can be used to contact someone if there are any problems.

Do not stay at this hotel if you want to sleep

by TripAdvisor Member Denver007

Do not stay at this hotel if you want to sleep. Florence is unbearably hot in the summer and the Antica Torre turns off the air conditioning from 10pm until 7am every night (air comes out of the A/C vent, but it is NOT cold). It is so hot in the rooms that it is impossible to sleep. The front desk is only open until 8pm each night, so there was no way to remedy the situation until the morning. (After a very expensive night of not sleeping.) When we complained to the women at the front desk (twice), they simply smiled knowingly.

For the price we paid to stay at the Antica Torre, air conditioning should not have been an issue.

great stay at Antica Torre

Stayed for a week in July 2004. Great location, couple of minutes walk from Ponte Vecchio. Spectacular views - we had the 5th floor room with the terrace - well worth the few extra euros. Caught up on some sun tanning every afternoon. No problem with the air conditioning, even on hot days (unlike our hotel in Rome). Individual AC unit with controls in the room; we could make it as cold as we wanted, or turn it off. Slept with the AC off and the terrace door open one night when it was nice and cool out, and got mosquito bites...although I'm sure the mosquitos are not specific to this hotel! :) Used the honesty bar ice machine several times - user who didn't have ice probably couldn't find the ice machine behind the bar. Unmanned front desk from 8pm to 8am (?) didn't cause any problems. Emergency contact tel number just in case was reassuring, but fortunately we didn't need to use it. Staff was helpful. Buffet breakfast was good, not great...could have used a little more variety. Would definitely stay here again.

Florence Find

My family of four sayed at the Tuornobuoni in early Aug. The hotel is located next to the Arno river. one bridge away fro the Ponte Vecchio. This is close enough to the main attractions (Duomo etc.)to be convenient but far enough away to be quiet. The rooms were clean, beautiful and well appointed. I would have given this hotel the highest rating, but my sons' room had an odor which we learned was from the drainage system not working properly. We were told it could not be rectified while the room was in use because repair involved pouring acid down the drains. To the hotel's credit the charges for that room were reduced by 1/3. The rooftop patio has both an inside lounge and outdoor patio that is very charming. The continental breakfast was the best of our trip. The view from the rooftop is spectacular. The staff was excellent. They helped us change a car rental and assisted with restaurant reservations. Be advised that the desk is not manned after 8pm tho the staff is reachable by phone. One enters after 8 with an electric key fob. I think this hotel is an excellent value for the money. Do not hesitate to book your room here.

Third visit to Florence

by skywalkerbeth

"History, beauty, and a lot of shopping"

2006: My trip from Venice to Florence was mostly uneventful. Once in town it was rather grey and the second surprise of the day was that my hotel, the Antica Torre di via Tornabuoni, had a problem in one room the night before.. and had put the person there in MY room thus leaving me room-less for that night. Why they couldn't put me in a different room I don't know – I asked. They sent me to the Albergotto, just up the street, for one night. It was no problem at all in the end because they took care of the taxi ride up and the Albergotto was also a fabulous hotel. I may not have found it but for that little hiccup and I'd definitely recommend it as a place to stay, too. My room rate was 250E a night for the Antica Torre and 230E a night for the Albergotto and I stayed two nights total.

It would be a tossup which one I liked better, too. The Antica Torre had by far the best view and of course the rooftop terrace. My own room there had a terrace, which, if you stretched your neck, you could see the Arno! (see photos) I didn't make a lot of use of the room terrace due to the lovely rooftop one. The room was large enough but not massive like the Albergotto... and it had carpeting not hardwood floors. It did have a huge bathroom which is always a plus.

The room in the Albergotto I liked better – spacious room... hardwood floors.. big windows which when opened allowed the breeze to waft in through the long white sheer curtains... spacious bathroom with tile flooring.. but no terrace. In the end the terrace really counted for a lot so if you are going during a time of nice weather – I would recommend the Antica Torre. If it is too cold to be outdoors you could go with either one but I'd likely stay at the Albergotto.

I also have to give rave reviews for my walking tour the next morning. It was on basic Florence history and amazingly well done. It was the Original and Best Walking Tours which you can find it on the web at www.artviva.com. I saw that Michael Palin proclaimed it his favorite walking tour in Florence and since hey, he's my fave Python, not to mention a truly inspiring traveler - so why not check it out. The woman who guided us was getting her doctorate in the Italian Renaissance and she was very thorough as a result. I learned some interesting little factoids on the walk – here are a few (which may be apocryphal but nonetheless entertaining):

“Stinking rich”: the rich used to be buried under the floorboards of churches – the richer you were, the better your “real estate” in a church – with the richest being up near the front. Naturally, dead bodies underneath tended to stink. “Hole in the wall” signifies the little tiny holes built into palace walls with a tiny door on either side. The rich folks inside would leave food and other goodies in their “hole in the wall” for the poor to come by and take for themselves and their families.

We didn't just learn little factoids, she also dissected artwork both on churches and buildings as well as inside them. After the walk I bought three books - two on the Medici (April Blood by Lauro Martinesi, about the Pazzi conspiracy to murder the Medici brothers.. Medici Money by Tim Parks), and the third one was Brunellschi's Dome by Ross King. I also got a number of my gifts for friends and family - Florence is great for leather items so it's going to be a leather birthday for everyone this year (and wedding, etc etc). I bought some beautiful watercolors from a street artist along the Arno. I am a sucker for flowers and especially poppies. I also walked my buns off in Florence – including a walk to Piazzale Michelangelo. That was a stunning view and I wish I had gone up a little closer to sunset. But it was wonderful nonetheless. I definitely got my exercise on this trip.

Next up – into Tuscany! (including Pienza and the ballooning ride).

2007 coming up later..

"A Thousand Miles..."

Doesn't he look like he is having fun? We lucked out and just so happened to be in Florence during this rally. This race was first held in 1927 and over the years was canceled and then revived at various times for safety reasons. Now it really is just a parade of venerable old cars. I'm so glad we got to see it - front row seats at Rivoire, too!

Comments