Aramis

More about Florence

Hotel MerliniHotel Merlini

Cosimo ICosimo I

Ponte VecchioPonte Vecchio

Piazza della Signoria (Florence, Italy)Piazza della Signoria (Florence, Italy)

Outlet malls

by Rie8901

Can you order online if you're in America from these boutiques?

by Beausoleil

Don't know about Florence but we're in the US and we order from the UK and France fairly often. As long as they take a credit card, you should be fine.

When you compute your savings, be sure to add in the shipping costs which can be considerable.

Have fun shopping!

by leics

If you can find a website offering online purchases it will tell you whether or not they are prepared to send things to the US, and how much extra it will cost. Not all companies will send internationally, so it's a matter of you checking out each one.

If I have the correct meaning of 'outlet malls' i.e. shops which sell seconds/end-of-line etc goods from high-quality manufacturers at discounted prices, then in my experience they rarely sell online. This is certainly the case in the UK.

by Beausoleil

leics, In the US outlet malls have become a way of life. They don't just sell seconds and discounted goods; they sell things that have just gone out of season and overstocks. Virtually all of the outlet malls near us have online shopping facilities so the question was probably posted by an American. We even have tour buses visit the outlet malls . . . and I've not noticed any great difference in prices but the idea of an outlet seems to have captivated many people. At least they are nearly always crowded here.

There are people who actually go on vacation to visit outlet malls! Give me a good museum any day of the week!!!!!!!!! LOL

by leics

That's interesting (I guessed it was an American poster!), We have some similar purpose-built 'outlets' (McArthur Glen in York springs to mind, for example) and many manufacturers have 'factory shops'. TKMaxx is a high-street chain which sells 'quality' end-of-lines etc.

As far as I know none of these sell online (costs would cut profits, obviously) although they usually have websites. Anyway, the whole idea of such stores is that sizes/quantities are very limited (unles from bankruptcy)so I can't see how online sales would work.

Like you, I've never been much impressed by the discounts....though am not a 'labels' person anyway.

Travel Tips for Florence

Meet Vasari

by m-joy

Besides Michelangelo, Brunelleschi and da Vinci, Giorgio Vasari was one of the most famous and talented artists of Florence in the middle ages. He lived in the 16th century and some of his brilliant works are the rebuilding of the Palazzo Veccio and the construction of the Uffizi Gallery building. Moreover he painted the Duomo’s cupola, a highlight which you can admire best on the way up on it.

Siena

by newsphotogirl

We decided to take a day trip to Siena. It was an easy bus ride and pleasant trip through the countryside. When we got off the bus we weren't sure how to get to the Campo. Next to the bus stop was a nice hotel where we asked for a map. We thought we'd have to buy one but they handed us a single page map. The must get requests from people all the time. There are also bathrooms. From the entrance take a left to the elevators and go down one floor.

We had to ask someone where we were on the map before we could fine the Campo but once we figured that out it was a piece of cake. It's hard to get lost in Siena. I recommend walking around the little streets and alleys. We saw some beautiful homes and some kids playing during recess. So cute. And we walked by the University. We also found an 18th century synagogue.

One the way back to the bus stop I found a shop that sold all types of scarves. I bought a cashmere scarf for 13 euros. I should have bought more. The scarves were better quality than most of the shops around the Campo and less expensive. As your walking from the bus stop to the Campo it's on the right side. A guest at our hotel in Florence suggested I look for it. She didn't know the name of the shop and of course I don't remember either.

Shipping things home!

by ChartIt about Cyberlink Plus

This is a shipping store, they sell boxes and have UPS shipping capablities. For all those shopping needs, sometimes you need to ship home. I used Cyberlink, address below to ship home 10 kgs of Florentine Trays. They arrived safely, and were well packed. They service was friendly, and very efficient at helping me get the best price for my shipping needs. My Trays arrived home before I did, and were in perfect condition. Thanks guys! It is a small family run place, that does have Internet, fax, Baggage Deposit, Photocopy, Print, Burn CD/DVD, and even tickets for tours! They really were so friendly and helpful. I would use them again in a heartbeat! Boxes, and service. They packed all our trays in one box, we had over 25 trays and they got home perfect and in short order. They were a wonderful place, and I would use them whenever i am in Florence next. They really really gave me a great deal of peice of mind and they did have student rates and regular rates. I saved 30 euro with a student rate. So you can ship here reliably. Shipping rates depend where your shipping things

We came by train from Roma. ...

by walterwerner

We came by train from Roma. It was about 2 hours with the EuroStar, and was very pleasant. I recommend 1st class and reserved seating.
We walked everywhere. We did take a half day guided tour by bus. They took us to Fisole which has a spectacular view of Florence.

Cheap Local and Tasty!

by sue_stone about La Ghiotta

La Ghiotta is a small restaurant a little off the tourist trail, which is popular with locals and the occasional tourist that stumbles across it.

It had been recommended to me by fellow VT'er HORSCHECK, so I was pretty keen to check it out.

We managed to squeeze into the last available table and happily settled down to some delicious local cuisine. Alison had roast beef and assorted sides; Alex & Bill had huge calzone's and I had a fabulous home made style lasagne.

It was all good and all so cheap!!

The best thing of all is that 1 litre of house wine was only 4 euros! Bargain!!

Comments