B&B Soggiorno Petrarca

AMOMA.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Florence

Florence (Italy) Town Center MAPFlorence (Italy) Town Center MAP

The atrium contains many artistic treasuresThe atrium contains many artistic treasures

"street" between the Uffizi's two wings"street" between the Uffizi's two wings

Looking cool in my Dolce & Gabbanas!Looking cool in my Dolce & Gabbanas!

Travelling w/ 4 young kids

by momoftwinboys

My friend and I are headed to Florence and Pisa on Friday w/ our 4, 5(twins), and 8 year olds. We will have one full day in Florence. What would you recommend that we visit that will be child friendly as well as of interest to us? They are very active kids! Any child friendly places that you could recommend to eat at would be good too.

by craic

take them up the bell tower to look at the view - that will take some of the fizz out of them - right next to the beautiful dumo - 6 euro for an adult - there is also another climb for 6 euro up to see the roof paintings but we didn't do that

by craic

it was very cold when we were in florence in late november - but there are also the boboli gardens which are supposed to be beautiful - entrance fee for that too - includes a museum i think

we didn't do it in the end because we were too cold - as we had more or less just arived from australia

by leics

Florence is very walkable, so do the bell-tower then walk their legs off! Don't consider anywhere they'll have to queue (that means you'll have to miss the Uffizi etc) but there are lots of interesting bits to see where there won't be too many people. Just make sure you hang onto them when you're near the busier roads (much of central Florence is pedestrianised).

Take them along the river, and over a bridge or two. If you're lucky you'll spot a coypu and you'll certainly see lots of birds.

You might also consider the 15/20 minute bus journey up to Fiesole, where you could explore the Etruscan site and museum and/or go for a wander (run?) round the village enjoying the view of Florence.

There are plenty of gelati/pizza shops to keep them going. No need to worry about 'child-friendly' eateries; everywhere in Italy is child-friendly, so just find somewhere which appeals (away from the most touristy part, if possible, because prices are much higher).

I'm sure you'll have a good day!

Travel Tips for Florence

visit San Gimignano in...

by anne_h

visit San Gimignano in Tuscany. San Gimignano is totally clotted with tourists during the day in the high season, but it's really lovely. The guidebooks recommend that you stay overnight, because most people go there as a day trip. We stayed over and it was indeed very quiet in the evening; I noticed that the Piazza Cisterna was, sadly, strewn with trash from the day visitors.

Again, I'll skip over the main sites, since they're so heavily covered elsewhere. My boyfriend with the morbid leanings decided he wanted to check out the torture museum, something that was obviously developed with the idea of getting tourists separated from their cash. I agreed to go in, however, and it's actually very interesting if you read the text and don't just gawk at the dioramas and so forth. Especially memorable is the a*al (think 'banal' without the b) pear--ergh. Anyway, this museum actually has some educational value, if you're interested in this sort of thing (and aren't too easily grossed out).

If You Want the Luck of Returning to Florence

by mydreamquest

I read about a bronze statue of a boar known as "Il Porcellino" (or the little pig) over at Mercato Nuovo. This particular statue is a replica of the marble classical original by Pietro Tacca (1612).

I asked the hotel person where "Mercato Nuovo" is and the weren't sure, but when I asked about the pig, they gave me a vicinity and I found it in a market near Piazza Pancrazio. The pig is near

Modern Italian Crafts

by LauraWest about Adrugada Firenze

In this airy shop you will find very modern handmade items of glass and ceramics and some other types. Several artists are represented. Everything is so beautiful. The moment I walked in the door, I knew I would buy something! It is that kind of place!

I bought myself a small Murano glass pendant, of very modern design. I love it!! Besides jewelry, they have items for your house, too. The young mother of a cute baby boy helped me. They were the ones on duty that day. She didn't speak much English, but I think she said she was one of the artists, but not the one who made my piece.

This shop is right up the street from the Fiorini Letizia, which I wrote about earlier this week, in another Tip! In fact I discovered my pendant on the way to the ATM ( so I could buy my toys!!) ! What a great day to shop it was! Firenze is definitely a place to shop. Expect to pay at least Euros 25.

The best way to get around is...

by steph4867

The best way to get around is on foot. Renting a car is silly. We tried to find a place to rent vespas (motorbikes) but were unsuccessful. If anyone knows where the one place in all of Florence to rent vespas is, please let me know!

It's Pizza time!

by garibaldi about EDI House

IF you don't want to pay a lot of euro for a low quality pizza in a place where people see you as a full wallet of money to empty, let me explain how leave the center and reach another place where you could spend your money for good food. Get up on bus 17 in Via Martelli (the street perpendicular to square on your left if your are seeing Duomo entrance with the Battistero behind you) and get down at Via Ficino stop. Walk back for few meters in Piazza Savonarola. The REstaurant EDI House is waiting you with his CROSTINI CALDI (taste it!) and Pizza, Focacce or grilled meat.

If you want you can come back in Duomo square walking in via Benvieni and straight ahead (crossing Viale Matteotti) in Via Capponi e Via de' Servi. (15 minute by foot) CROSTINI CALDI: a great experience for yuor taste!

Comments