4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Costs 129% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Continentale

Staying with a baby at Hotel Continentale

by TripAdvisor Member Quaver

Just returned from a 4 night stay at Hotel Continentale with my wife and 3 month old daughter. We stayed on a promotional rate for bed and breakfast, which was fantastic value for money.

The hotel staff were very friendly and accommodating, and were great with the baby. They arranged a room with a bath as well as a shower, set up a cot next to the lovely double bed and delivered jugs of hot water daily for us to make up the baby's milk.

The room itself was spacious, air-conditioned, had a great bathroom and good furnishings including a flat screen TV at the end of the bed (and the hotel staff also kindly installed a DVD player for us). Two minor criticisms were that there was no spare toilet roll and on one day when we returned to the room at 2 p.m. it had still not been made up.

The hotel breakfast buffet was very good, and we also enjoyed the cocktails ordered on room service. A couple of odd quirks: one day we ordered a salad and a parma ham sandwich, which were both huge and well presented, and the next day the same sandwich order produced a much less appetising offering; and one day the drinks were delivered to the room with nuts and crisps, the next there weren't any complimentary snacks.

The hotel location could not be better - so central we could have quick trips back from all the main sights if we wanted to feed or change the baby, or just to have a general chill out in the relaxation room.

All in all, very comfortable stay in a lovely (if slightly quirky) designer hotel, with friendly staff who were only too keen to help out.

Florence as a place needs no write ups - beautiful city, we were blessed with good weather, and found some great little places to eat (with the baby able to sleep in the buggie parked next to our table) - try Convivio e Olivio in particular. Can't wait to go back!

My third stay at Hotel Continentale...my favorite hotel in Florence!!

by TripAdvisor Member lisampls

I stayed at Continentale in November 2003, November 2004 and also December 2005. I'm hooked.

The location is incredible! Right across the street from the Ponte Vecchio Doesn't matter which way you go when you walk out the door - you are literally minutes from amazing sites, shopping and dining!

The staff is wonderful...can't say enough about them! KUDOS!

The rooms are clean, modern and minimalist - which is what I love. There isn't lots of extra space, you are in your room to shower and sleep!! Space is overrated!!

The beds are typically two beds pushed together, but that's normal for Europe. What stands out is that they surround the bed in beautiful sheer drapes...it's so romantic!!

And the shower.....ahhh, it relaxes me just thinking about it! Lots of hot water coming out of a shower head the size of a manhole cover!!

The hotel is small and well situated with well appointed public rooms including a media room (you can watch the movie of your choice!) a relaxation room (loved it! Overlooks the Ponte Vecchio), a bar and breakfast room.

You will not find clutter, dusty old drapes, stained carpet or dinged up flee market furniture anywhere in this hotel. It's all about clean lines...lots of maple, stainless steel and time (clock theme.)

The rooftop deck has great views of the Arno and the Vecchios - even if you are there off season, ask if they'll let you go up to take a few photos...it's beautiful.

The Duomo and the Uffizi are only a few blocks away, as is world-class shopping. And food? Anything you want!

I suggest going to the local wine store and buying a bottle to bring to your room - it will save you lots of $$ and you can bring it down to the relaxation room, chill with your sweetie and watch the world go by! Grab some bread and cheese too while your at it! There are plenty of great shops and deli's close by.

OH, and don't forget to check out the stores just off the Ponte Vecchio - especially if you are looking to buy jewelry....I found a ring for a fraction of the price just a few blocks away.

Enjoy Florence and Continentale! I can't wait to go back!

Feel free to contact me with any questions at lisajla@hotmail.com.

Lisa
Minneapolis

Beautiful hotel in the heart of Florence

by TripAdvisor Member Annie26

My fiance and l stayed at the Continentale in August having seen the hotel on the Mr and Mrs Smith website. We were delighted with the hotel and our stay and couldn't fault it. The staff were excellent and greeted us by name every time. The room was a standard double but a really large size and the bathroom was large too. The rooftop cocktail bar is a nice plus with views of the Duomo and the river. The location is also fantastic and close to the Ponte Vecchio (it's pretty much on it), the Duomo, the Uffizi and pretty much all the other sights. As we went in August the queues for museums etc were horrendous so we asked the hotel to book tickets, whilst it's more expensive it was so worth it as we didn't have to wait and didn't waste precious holiday time.

I'd recommend that you stay away from the trattorias on the squares as they cater for tourists and the food is awful. The restaurant Aqua Al Due is fantastic - ask the hotel where to find it - the balsamic steak is delicious!

I would recommend the Continentale to anyone!!

white cool hotel

by TripAdvisor Member JACUZZY

I am a young italian boy, i have visit mostly Florence Hotels4and5*. Continentale is a good Hotel very cool all withe amenities:))))). Few rooms have a great Arno view from the bed and from the bathrooThe reception is very nice specialy in winter time with fine, a very big withe elevator with big sofà inside take to the living room and breakfast room.
Staff is friendly. Breakfast is quite good. Location is perfect.
I suggest this Hotel specialy for young guests like modern designe.
Ciao and sorry for my english

Not the best hotel experience

We stayed at the Continentale for 3 nights and were pretty dissappointed. The most distressing thing was smell of the hotel. It was was really bad - very moldy, musty smelling - and I had to open the windo to get fresh (but very hot as it was 90 degrees out) air. It seemed to be coming in from the air conditioner. The chic, modern look wore thin quickly. The sinks and bathtub/shower were appealing to look at but didn't work well - water splashed all over and the sink could not be filled to wash our faces. Finally, I agree with a previous review that the service was not up to par. We did not feel welcome or taken care of there, and for the hgh price I expect that. The roof terrace was beautiful, but on Saturday night as we were going up to have a drink before dinner, we were stopped and told we could enter because a wedding was in progress. The bar was closed all night. I woud not stay there again.

Fantastic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ferraridriver

This is a stylish beautiful modern hotel. We stayed for two nights and the room really made our trip. I live in Malibu California and I like beautiful modern Italian furniture and design.

We had the largest Tower suite room with great modern decor from the clever clock nightstands to the ultra modern bathroom with the infinity sink, cool sleek tub, and special lighting. (The shower was great and did not leak water everywhere).

Our room had both a chaise lounge chair and arm chair. Everything about the room was tastefully done. I really loved the extra large bed (a little larger than California King Size!) with white drapes framing the four corners of the bed and the Aquos LCD TV at the foot of the bed.

I saw that on one review someone complained about the air conditioning. We were very comfortable and were there in the heat of August! You do need to have a little common sense and knack for modern climate control systems to understand how the system works. But it works great and you can keep icy cool.

The staff was great. They even sent up a little welcoming plate of cookies and fruit after we arrived when we had some visitors drop by. By the way, our visitors were so impressed with the room they took photos and notes so that they could incorporate some of the great design ideas in their estate home in Pacific Palisades, California

All of this comes at a price. But you are staying in the high rent location in Florence.

I recommend the Continentale Tower Suite for a truly amazing experience.

Fabulous hotel

by TripAdvisor Member c.h.s.p

I couldn't have asked for a better location. This hotel is at the center of everything. I loved the attention to detail and design throughout the entire hotel. My husband and I particularly enjoyed the roof top lounge with great views of the river. The reading room was also a pleasant and relaxing place to hang out after a long day of museums and shopping. One note: the hotel will gladly make reservations for you at the Uffizi (it's recommended you reserve one month in advance), however the hotel charges an additional fee to make the reservation which ended up being twice the cost of the ticket! It was a nice convenience, but I think there are other ways to reserve tickets yourself. This was our big splurge on our European vacation -- we really enjoyed this hotel.

Nice location and view, but...

by TripAdvisor Member pelun

Location is fantastic. Stayed in corner room 502 at the very top with small balconies towards Ponte Vecchio/the Arno river and the street leading up to the bridge. Could not be a better view! Room nice, modern, comfortable and with a lovely big bathroom. However, surprised to learn hotel was recently refurbished as we found quite a bit of wear and tear in the room and in the hotel public areas. Reception is not the most amazing, quite small and boring. Must agree with previous reviews (and this was not during the hot summer period), there is quite a heavy mouldy smell in the hotel, although not in our room. The bar and relax area really enjoyable and comfortable. The view from the sky lounge is great. However, the service in this hotel is much below standard. They TRY to be nice and helpful, but regretfully they fail. We had ordered a limousine to pick us up at the airport and hotel sent an old uncomfortable minibus. What a joke! Could as well have taken a taxi. Not even the hotel manager apologized nor offered any type of compensation. There is no concierge in the hotel and we could not get any help with restaurant recommendations apart from the Lungarno hotel chain own restaurant across the bridge (Borgo San Jacopo). We asked for a table by the window and hotel confirmed the reservation. When we arrived we were offered a table in a completely different dull part of the restaurant and in the very far back of that room. Obviously we did not stay and had to walk around in Florence to try to find another place to eat. Did not trust to call the hotel for an advice. Always had to wait long time at the "reception" since only one person working. Really sad since think this could be an outstanding hotel if management put bit more effort into the details (service, cleanliness, décor). Perhaps they think the view is almighty. We didn’t!

Can't beat the location

by TripAdvisor Member HVB

LOVED THE DECOR. Loved the Relax room. The elevator is great. The beds were comfortable. The service was good. One concierge did send us to the Jacobo across the bridge one night but another night Maire sent us to an excellent restaurant about a 10 minute walk away and it was awesome. We did not notice any mold/ mildew smelling anything, although they did have some incense burning one day? I thought our room was lovely with an awesome view of the Arno with a balcony. We were very surprised and unhappy that at checkout they were unwiling to accomodate us for an extra half hour stay until our car arrived for the train station. They wanted us out of the room to clean it.
The breakfast was not in our rate and at 25 euro per person we only ate it one day. No value for the money there. It was not worth the expense. We found an excellent store nearby to get yogurt, ordered room service coffee, and then went to Riviore to have breakfast. However the room itself is very nice and you cannot beat the location. I would stay there again.

Cocktail Bar?

by Nicky&Paul

Hi,

We are meeting some friends in Florence for a surprise 40th birthday. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on a good, central located cocktail bar?

by smiling68

A restaurant called Slowly, off of Piazza Della Repubblica, is good. The owner/bartender is very accommodating. The food is great, too!

RE: RE: Cocktail Bar?

by Nicky&Paul

Hi,

Thank you for that it sounds just the ticket>>>>>>any more for any more?

by Otrebor

Rex cafe in via Fiesolana is one of my favourite cocktail bar in town. They also have a small room that you can rent for a small buffet.

RE: RE: Cocktail Bar?

by MissThing606

Colle Bereto on Piazza Strozzi is a good place.

by mariocibelli

THere is also the Art Gallery Hotel - Fushion Bar as well as the Continentale Hotel across the street that has a cocktail bar on the terrace overlooking Floville that is quite nice, in any of these places you should reserve ahead as the hour of aperitivo can be quite crowded...

Comments