Via Francesco Baracca 187, Florence, Tuscany, 50127, Italy
Travelocity Hotels.com Venere.com

More about Florence

Ponte di San Niccolo, Firenze (Florence), ItalyPonte di San Niccolo, Firenze (Florence), Italy

Palazzo VeccioPalazzo Veccio

city hall or a castle???city hall or a castle???

Ponte VecchioPonte Vecchio

tickets for accademy

by sammyk

I went to the web site to buy tickets for the accademy and it says you have to pick them up at the window when you arrive. My question is, how long of a line is there to even do that? There was another site that will e-mail the tickets but it is more expensive and we are leaving to go to Europe in 4 days, I'm not sure that we will get them in time. (ON Cruise ship) Does anyone know about picking the tickets up at the accademy (where statue of David is)

by RoscoeGregg

We picked up our pre purchased tickets at a separate window. The line was nonexistent. If lead time is short I would pick them up at the museum.

Do not worry about finding the David it is the focal point of the museum.

Have a great time and try not to eat too much!

Randy

by sammyk

Thank You, I will order them right now. I don't want to miss seeing the statue of David. We were on a cruise a couple of years ago and it did not dock where it was scheduled to dock and we did not have enough time to get to Florence. I promised myself that if I ever got back to Italy that I was making Florence a must see.
Thanks again

by leics

No-one can tell you how long the queue for collecting pre-ordered tickets will be, but I doubt it will be anywhere near the length of the other queue. I wouldn't worry unduly.

It's your call whether you risk not getting the email before you leave (does the cruise ship have internet access?).

by TheWanderingCamel

Assuming your ticket gives you a timed entry, the queue shouldn't be very long at all. Unless you're really set on seeing David though (there's not a great deal else), I'd give the crowds at the Accademia a miss and go instead to the Bargello (Museo Nazionale del Bargello) to see Donatello's fabulous bronze David and a whole lot more wonderful sculpture - the Bargello is the sculpture equivalent of the Uffizi and it is stuffed with the very best collection of Italian works of the Renaissance masters. It's never as crowded as the other great galleries and museums in the city and is a joy to visit.

by RoscoeGregg

As usual Leics and wanderingcamel provide great advise. I highly recommend that you visit their pages for excellent authoritative and detailed tips. Leics has very reliable advise for Italy. We found her tips very helpful for our trip last year.

Happy Trails,

Randy

by leics

Thank you for those kind words. :-)

by sammyk

Thanks for the information. I tried to order the tickets and when it got to the part where they needed all my credit card info it was all in Italian. I used one of the web sites that can interpret for me and was able to enter my info. Then another page came up and said it did not go through. Not a clue why. So I am still trying to get the tickets. Even tried e-mailing the company. So far no response.

by leics

That can sometimes happen with cards from abroad, from what I've seen on these forums.

Don't expect a reply to your email...or, be pleasantly surprised if you get one!

You could perhaps try another agency site (such as www.tickitaly.com).

Travel Tips for Florence

Proof that I'm royalty!

by xxgirasolexx

I love all of Florence because after taking my History of Western Art course where we started with Florence.... Well, I fell in love with the city. When I actually had the chance to visit it, I discovered actual reason why I enjoy the city so much. The last time I was there, I went with three friends who didn't want their pictures taken at first. As a result, I have loads of photos of me being stupid. One of the greatest memories of Florence is when I was waiting to take a picture with these guys. The lady ahead of me, in line for a photo, was an older German tourist. She smiled, had her photo taken, and then walked off without giving them any coins. They started crying and crying. When I gave them my coins, they immediately fell in love with me. LOL... Money talks!

Santa Maria Novella - 14th...

by fotografik

Santa Maria Novella - 14th Century Gothic architecture. If you guys are familiar with Madonna with Child by Nino Pisano, well it is here in the church on the altar.

I lived about 2 blocks away from this church and I see this every morning when I walked to my
class :-) Walking through this area every morning on the way to my class. By 9 in the morning, there were so many people already in the street doing whatever they do. Lots of interaction from all kinds of people. lots of tourists as well.

The largest park in Florence...

by JonAdam

The largest park in Florence is called Parco delle Cascine and is easily reached by bus from the central station. It’s a great park with lots of trees, paths and benches to sit down on. While resting you can watch the sporty people of Florence run or rollerblading thought the park. There is also a swimming pool (La Pavioniere) in the park. The pool is pretty small and can get more than crowded from time to time.

If swimming interests you, there is a much better alternative on the other side of the city. The big outdoor swimming pole at Bellariva is reached by bus from Duomo. This pool is called Piscina di Nannini and situated on Lugarno A Moro 6.

Take your beer!

by m-joy about Joshua Tree Pub, Fiddler's Elbow

Great irish pub on 2 floors which kept a familiar atmosphere. Here you can watch every kind of sports on TV, sometimes on the big screen. In the summer you can take your Guiness, Kilkenny or whatever outside on Piazza Santa Maria Novella. Bring a smile!

Ice Cream Paradise

by Ipanema_Princess about Festival del gelato

After a long day of visits...what better reward can you find but a delicious "gelato" ?
Festival del gelato is located in the historical center of Florence, not far from the Duomo.
It has an impressing choice of more than 80 ice creams flavors, from the classics to the most originals...so you will certainly find something for you ! Finally among all those perfumes...my favourite is lemon because it's delicious and very refreshing (contrary to chocolate). And with this heat...you will need it !

Comments