Floralia B&B

Stanislao Becchi plaqueStanislao Becchi plaque

Ponte a Santa TrinitaPonte a Santa Trinita

vespa half day tour

Hi all,
I have gotten some results on my vespa tour search for my husband's birthday.Here's what I got :

Leaving from Florence at about 9.30 and arriving in Siena at about 10.45.

About 4 hour stop to visit the town and at about 14.45/15.00 you will leave towards Florence arriving there at 16.00/16.15

The price is Euro 230 and the best date could be October 9.

Any other suggestions based on your experience? Is the price reasonable?

Thanks,
lengleng

by footstool

Is this the combined price for both of you? Does this include all food for both of you? and it includes rental prices for both Vespas? Do you know how to operate a Vespa, and do each of you have the appropriate license?

by leics

That seems a high price to me...but you are, of course, paying for someone else's time.

If a Vespa ride is absolutely essential, why not just hire one each (or just one, and you and son go on the bus)? You certainly don't need a guided tour of Siena, and it is only an hour's drive from Florence (and a fairly obvious route as well).

Assuming you can both ride scooters and have the appropriate licences I don't really see any point in paying for a tour. And if you can't ride a scooter, then I think it's a bit iffy to start by riding on busy Italian roads (especially with a child on the back).

by footstool

Whoa! You're packing an infant on the back of a Vespa?! That could be a very very bumpy ride. The baby's head could undergo alot of shaking back and forth. Maybe it's better to take a day-trip bus tour out of the Florence bus station. The baby could sit in a special child-seat, safe and buckled in. I took a day-trip to Siena and San Gimignano, and loved it. No worries about searching for road signs, driving in the dark, getting lost, finding petrol, being exposed to wind and rain, etc.

by cgf

o

by cgf

o

by lengleng

Oh no this is only for my husband and I will be driving my car with my toddler in it.I'll be pretty carzy to put my 3 year old on a vespa haha!!Dont worry guys :-)thank you for your concern.I believe the price is only for 1 person but will check again.
lengleng

by leics

You'll see toddlers on scooters.....but it's not a good idea if you are not a local!

That's a pretty hefty chunk of money for just one person, but probably includes a hefty insurance premium. As it's a birthday treat you may find it acceptable. Or you could just hire him a Vespa for the day and send him off by himself. :-)

by footstool

Right. That's 320 USD, just to ride a Vespa? It's probably cheaper to rent a cab and driver, and be chauffeured around all day!

by lengleng

yah I'm going to shop around somemore.I think it's too much myself !

Travel Tips for Florence

the dome

by tompt

When in Florence you can´t miss the Dome. It is dominating the skyline since centuries.

It stands tall adjacent to the Baptistery and the Companile. No other building is higher than the Duomo which was first designed in 1294 by Arnolfo di Cambio who died in 1302 leaving the design to other architects who finished designing Arnolfo's dream but could not figure out how to build such a long dome (142 feet from the ground). Fillippo Brunelleschi came to the rescue and managed to construct the Dome.

The exterior is covered in marble walls which are a mixture of white ( Carrara), green (Prato), and red( Maremma). The interior is bare and cold. The Duome can hold 10 000 people in one preaching. On the west wall, there are three stained glass windows designed by Ghiberti and a huge clock which was decorated with four heads of prophets by Paolo Uccelo in 1443. On the left aisle are a pair of memorials of mercenary commanders (condottieri).

The biggest work of the Duomo is the fresco of the 'Last Judgement' by Vasari. These are painted on the entire roof . Climbing the 463 steps to the top of the Dome, is a very tiring, but rewarding task. Being close to the big, big painting of the last judgement overwelms one. And after getting higher the views over Florence are great! While climbing you can see how exactly the dome was constructed.
Climbing the dome costed €6 in febr. 2003, but is worth every cent.

All day drinking? well, in moderation.

by MissThing606

It seems the Florentines start drinking a lot earlier than we do! One sunday morning around 10.30 am we stopped at a Tabacchi for a sanwich and cofee to find one of the customers enjoying champagne with their espresso!

Another day, we had a and early lunch (more like brunch!) at the Mercato Centrale. After we'd given our orders the lady asked us if we wanted wine too. We checked out watches and it was 11.45! Ah well, we were on holiday....!

One thing is for sure though, drunkenness is frowned on by the locals. After speaking to a few locals it seems that this is something the tourists bring with them. Certainly when, you go to bars you'll notice that people go out to chat, meet people and have fun, not get wasted.

The Russian Church

by AgentJX

Florence has such a wide selection of churches; however, one of the most unique is the Russian church located East of the main train station near the new and old arch. The onion domes seem somewhat out of place in Florence, but may that is what makes it so appealing.

Lounge upstairs or dance party downstairs!

by pamelaxo about Astor caffé ( bar )

I lived for over a month around the corner from this bar and there were many a nights we went there before hitting the clubs for some drinks (and even some dancing). The bartenders are friendly and generous with the complimentary drinks after you order a round or two and some conversation. Drink - 8 euro, shots - 4 euro. Peanuts and chips served. Open until around 3:30am. The downstairs bar has hip-hop/mainstream music playing with some couches and tables. Dress nice, no where in Italy isn't trendy, c'monnn.

1KG of T-bone Steak

by roobus1 about Il Toscano

This restaurant was recommended to us by the receptionist at our hotel. I was sceptical at first (as I always am) but had to eat humble pie as the food was fantastic. It has what has been described as "Very Tuscan Fare" and I have to admit that if this is the case, Tuscan food is amongst the best cuisine I have ever been fortunate enough to try. The house especiality (as is the case with a lot of restaurants here) is a 1KG T-Bone steak, grilled medium rare and served sliced with lemon juice. It costs on average about 36 euros (this seemed pretty standard around town) but is worth every cent. juice, tender and tasty and served in a restaurant which is very "Tuscan" in decor. I cannot recommend it enough ! 1 KG Tuscan Steak

Comments