Giada Hotel

brendareed's Profile Photo

too noisy!

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 9, 2014

Our instructor set us all up at the Hotel Giada, which was centrally located just two blocks from the Cathedral complex one way and three blocks from the train station the other way. She’s used this hotel for years and they have a large lounge area on the top floor that was perfect for study sessions and lectures. I was hoping that this hotel would be a gem that I could use again and again, but sadly it lacked in a number of ways.

I understand that the hotels in Florence are limited to using the traditional buildings that are in the city – after all, if all hotels razed the old buildings and built new, Florence would not be as charming as it is. So with that in mind, I was disappointed that they hadn’t really updated the inside in a long time. I can overlook many things that I can find charm in, but the one thing I struggled with was the noise. My room was on the side that overlooked a long narrow alley and my window was anything but airtight. That alleyway was noisy all night long. Because there is a market seven days a week in front of the hotel, the vendors roll out their carts each morning down the alley to the hotel starting at about 4 a.m. This repeats in reverse at around 7-8 pm each night followed by the nightly street cleaner. Around midnight the revelers heading to and from the bars and restaurants use the alley while they loudly talk, yell, laugh, and generally make lots of noise that echoes off the alley and into my room via the poor window. I survived the week with earplugs.

Breakfast was served daily as part of the room – it never varied (which is fine for me but others had issues) from cereal, the same type of roll, white bread, meat and cheese, juice, yogurt and a bowl of fruit. I found it delicious but others preferred a hot meal. The breakfast area was also very noisy and surprisingly there are two rooms that enter directly into the room – something I would think the breakfast server would take into consideration as he blasted his music at 7 a.m.

The hotel had free wi-fi – a plus for studying and each room had a television, safe, and private bath. There was a small elevator and to enter the building you required a pass code – so I felt very safe there.

I would not stay here again because of the noise. The people running it were always very pleasant and had quick service. But a good night’s sleep is important to me – something I did not get while there.

Directions: next to San Lorenzo Church

lorrainece's Profile Photo

Just Simply The Best

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 14, 2009

There is not enough good things I can say about the hotel and owners of hotel, Eva and Antonio

Just go the website and check it out - http://www.hotelgiada.com/

They are so very helpful and will do anything to make your stay feel like home. I had my birthday in August 2005 with them, I had been out for dinner and when I returned, they gave me surprise at midnite by bringing out a bottle of champagne and toasting my birthday. Those sort of things make a stay memorable.

Later that year my sister stayed at the hotel and had problems with a suitcase lock, Antonio to the rescue...he broke it open for her :)

Unique Quality: Even though its right in the middle of the San Lorenzo Market, there was not too much noise. It is very secure and Antonio keeps an eye on things via security cameras.

Eva is helpful with organising trips etc and will recommend the best for you.

There is also free internet at reception.

Directions: Great location in San Lorenzo Market area.

chad-roscoe's Profile Photo

I'm sorry to say, you shouldn't stay....

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 25, 2005

I think the two folks who own the Giada (Eva & husband) are lovely, but I would never stay there again and do not reccomend it.
Giada is in the middle of the markets, about 5 blocks from the train station. Cabs cannot go there, so you have to lug your stuff either over cobbble streets while dodging trucks and scooters or on the narrow sloping sidewalks, where no native will give you an inch to walk. It was difficult. The room appears very clean, but is furnished thrift-store style. We found a tick on the wall, and I got flea bites all around my ankles.
The shower is a 1.5 foot box that you have to squeeze into through a tiny opening in the corner (tight, even for my size 4 mama). The toilet runs spontaneously. The TV has no CNN or BBC, so no English programs. The "big American breakfast" is runny yougurt, warm sour juice, horrible "croissants," fruit, "Kraft" American singles, and hard boiled eggs & coffee & tea. /no iron available, and none allowed to be used in the hotel. The reception is closed from 11-7, so you cannot get a wake-up call, (we had to sit up all night to make sure we caught our 6 am train to Rome), and the security is extreme (locking hallways, video camaras everywhere), faulty (swipe cards that work occasionally, scary after the staff goes home), and sketchy (locked hallways left wide open at times). The elevator fits 1 person and a suitcase. The "markets" that surround it are not little "gems," just extensions of the area stores, and they all hawk the same things. Boring. No originality. The outside street can smell, at times, of sewage. Barely a window in the room, with no view. Fridge in the room, but not very cold. Nothing in it to purchase. Hairdryer they provide does not work. Rooms are not bright, although, I believe, they are painted yellow. Hotel is hard to spot when the markets are open, as are street signs in Florence, which can leave you wandering the streets. Staff has limited English.

Unique Quality: Staff is either Eva or her husband, and they are sweet great people. They have free internet while the lobby is open, but it will not access some American email providers I found out. They will make you tea during the times they are there if you'd like. They have lots of maps, dictionaries, and umbrellas in the reception, which they will let you use.
Breakfast is free, and if you can eat anything just to fill your belly you may find it adequate.
AC in the room works and works great, but boy is it loud. It sounds like a heavy rainstorm pelting down.

Directions: Across from the ugly church behind the leather coat stand. Which leather coat stand? When you find the bricked-up church window w/ the crumbling bricks (lots of its windows are bricked-up; it must be the crumbly one) across the street from that is Giada.

midgetmama's Profile Photo

So much better than I expected!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 11, 2004

Well, I decided on Friday afternoon that I wanted to go to Florence Saturday morning, so I went to the EasyInternetCafe and desperately searched for a reasonably priced hotel that had some immediate availability. I went through venere.com and found Hotel Giada. It was about half the price of the rest of the hotels, and I wondered why but didn't really care as long as I had a private bathroom. The location seemed good, but I had no clue since I'd never been to Florence.

So I got there, and it was close to everything. My room (#30) was very quiet and everything I needed as a single traveler. The air conditioner was huge and too loud, so I had to rely on the fan when I was trying to sleep, but it was adequate. The bathroom was long and sort of 3-tiered, the sink on the first tier, the toilet on the second, and the shower on the third. Hard to describe. The room was small which may have been a problem if I'd brought a ton of luggage, but all I had was a small bag with a toothbrush and t-shirt in it.

In the hallway I passed an open room which looked exceptionally large. I didn't see an elevator in the building, but I've heard it exists. I checked in at about 3 p.m., went out and came back about 1 a.m., and checked out around 10 a.m., and the same guy was working at the desk the entire time. He was always wide awake, so maybe he's a triplet or something.

Unique Quality: Great location, rooms are a good size, the staff speaks numerous languages, good price, great if you're not looking for extreme luxury.

MarvintheMartian's Profile Photo

Small and friendly with great location.

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 18, 2003

Small, friendly, great location directly opposite San Lorenzo. Gets booked out so reserve. Rooms are basic, but ensuite.

Unique Quality: Friendly staff.

Directions: Behind all the market stalls on the second floor, push button for entry - don't be scared, there's no need :-)

Nearby Giada Hotel

Amenities at Giada Hotel

• Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet

Florence Travel Forum

Need advice about Florence, Italy? Visit the Travel Forum for Florence and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Florence hotel reviews

Ponte Vecchio
Prada Outlet
Shoes
Shopping
How to avoid waiting in lines
Where to find Great Shopping