Gianna's Bed and Breakfast

Gianna's Bed and Breakfast
Expedia.com Travelocity Venere.com

More about Florence

The Duomo, or CathedralThe Duomo, or Cathedral

With the Duomo on the backgroundWith the Duomo on the background

Pistachio GelatoPistachio Gelato

Chiesa della SS. Annunziata (Florence, Italy)Chiesa della SS. Annunziata (Florence, Italy)

Florence to Cinque De Terre then to Venice

by Rachaels24

Can anyone please tell me what is the cheapest/ fastest route to any land in the Cinque terre? Also how much it costs, regularity and how long it takes?

From there I also need to know how to get to Venice, I hope you can help!

Also for trains in Italy, how long must you get to the station before departure? Is there a set time?

by yma123

train is prob a good option for you... (times would vary for different types of train travel)

we took the bus from florence to Cinque Terre and stopped in pisa for lunch... i think it took 6hrs by bus (with the 1/2 hrs for lunch... so not that long at all)...

we used busabout www.busabout.com - you can see their routes and times & get a rough idea how long it takes etc!

by effeti

Hi!
From 5 lands to venice train is the obvoius solution.
I made a test request monterosso / Venezia santa lucia. take a look:

As long as you already have a ticket (or even without.. You can buy it on board searching immediatly the controller, and payng a supplement) you can catch the train literally on the fly.

Remember to validate/stamp your ticket in the yellow little machine if it does not come with a prebooked train/seat.

Ciao
Francesco

by Rachaels24

by nomadNY

I would definitely recommend taking a train from Florence to Cinque Terre...i jsut did this same route...

it is about a 3 hour trip since you have to change trains. From Florence head to Pisa, change trains to La Spezia. Then in La Spezia you can board local trains for any of 5 terres.

I had all my tickets issued in Florence. it is a pretty simple trip since all the in between stations are very small. i think the whole thing cost about 18 euro.

As for getting to the train station...just arrive with plenty of time to buy tickets and find your correct BIN (track) sometimes bins change so you have to hunt them down. i would be on the platform 10 minutes beforehadn at least with your ticket in case you need to change tracks.

Have so much fun, it is beautiful there!

Travel Tips for Florence

A night stroll through town

by guell

One of my fondest memories of Florence was of our walk along the river in the evening. It was truly magical.

I took this picture on our way back to the center of town after watching the sunset from Piazzale Michelangelo. That night couldn't have been any more romantic. If Maria and I weren't already married, I would have proposed to her right then and there!!

For more information on Piazzale Michelangelo, see my "Must See" section.

Swimming

by Sonador3

When I go to Florence, I eat a ton, so I like to work off the extra calories (other than by the usual walking like crazy) by swimming. This past trip I took a bus from the hotel to the Costoli/Palasport sports complex. It's a huge place with a couple of very large pools. IIRC, the admission was 5 Euros for all day and they have lockers, showers, etc. I think the lap pool was 50 meters with marked off lanes. There are other swimming pools in Florence preferred by tourists, and that makes them quite crowded. Which is why I like this one! :-) Bring your usual gear.

Market crazy

by universalgypsy about Santa Croce Market

This market was very busy and had a variety that amazed me for its small size. Local artists were showcasing their watercolours with pride, and you could even watch their creative process. You were not attacked every time you walked up too a stand to look and the whole experience was a friendly and relaxing one. Whatever takes your fancy. The variety is astounding so have a good look around before you decide on one piece. I found something at nearly every stand that I could have taken home with me. From very little to too much, as at most markets.

Central sections of Firenze Bus Map - online

by ABQ_Hugh

One thing I dislike is going to a transportation site and having to look at a bus/train, etc. map one small grid at a time. I like to see an overview of the map, then be able to zoom into what I want.

The site where I stored the map has been closed, so I will find another place to post it.

The little bakery on Borgo Pinti

by ema522

This was a find! It's a tiny bakery shop on Borgo Pinti, on the same block as the Monna Lisa hotel where I was staying, but sadly I didn't discover it until halfway through my stay. Bread is their main stock in trade but that's not the real draw for the average traveler who can't use a whole loaf of bread, fresh and delicious as it may be. There's a case full of small round things that look like little pies, both savory & sweet, and that's what you're after. The savory pies are actually a bit like pizzas but without cheese or tomato, and they have a tender crust like foccaccia. You can pick up a sackful and a cold drink or bottle of water for a cheap yet delicious lunch. Once I discovered them, I ate them every day and sometimes twice a day. I wish I knew the name for those savory little pies! The crust was light and crisp from being baked with olive oil, and they had several different fillings. My favorites were the onion, potato, and especially the fresh porcini mushroom (yet another great thing about being in Italy in autumn is gobbling up all those fresh porcinis that we can't get in the U.S.).

Comments