Giotto B&B

via Calzaiuoli, 11, Florence, Tuscany, 50121, Italy

More about Florence

In the basilica's cloistersIn the basilica's cloisters

Florence from aboveFlorence from above

tomb of galileotomb of galileo

Beer carousel.Beer carousel.

Cheapist way to get from the Florence Airport to Hotel De La Pace?

by mmchart

My sister and I will shortly be visiting Italy for the first time. We will be flying into Florence Airport. Travel will be on our own, but we have booked a special that includes airfare and lodging through a travel agency. The travel agency through which I booked the trip wants to arrange for a driver to pick us up from the Florence Airport, and bring us to our hotel in Florence. This sounds great, except that the price is kind of steep, 44 US dollars for each of us. This will total $88 US dollars for what I'm told is a 5 minute trip.

Could someone suggest a different way to get from the airport to our hotel in Florence, that would be more reasonably priced?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

by Redang

I really on't know where the hotel is, but there is a bus from the airport to the centre of Florence, just opposite the train station called Santa Maria Novella thta takes you in about 25 minutes. Check:

- www.aeroporto.firenze.it/EN/index.php?percorso=contents&jk=17&curr=0
- www.ataf.net
- www.aeroporto.firenze.it

by leics

The hotel is centrally situated.

Its own website has very clear directions about getting from the sirport.

It is a 15 minute taxi ride, not a 5 minute one......but it's cheaper to take the airport bus (or the ordinary bus) and that's what I'd do.

Airport shuttle bus timetable here:

by iulia28

Hello!!

I hope this answer will help u! So, forget about the travel agency, is way to much!! A taxi from the airport costs 20 Eur (or 22 if is Sunday or Saturday), for both of u. (Airport-downtown). Or if u don't have such a heavy luggage u can certainly take a bus (4,50 eur per person), that will take you to the central Train Station.
Let me know if u need other information, I live in Florence so I can give u nice tips!!!

by pinkrainstone

Hi, I am going to Florence in the fall to study and I have a similar problem. I am coming with my boyfriend two weeks early and I will have two big suitcases that I want to store somewhere while we travel europe. I need the bags when the semester starts though. Is there somewhere I can store them? Do the train stations have big lockers and how much does it cost. What about a hotel?

Also, I heard there is a bus to town from the airport from 5 euro. Is there also a bus to the airport from town? I was going to fly to bologna instead and have a friend hold my bags if I cannot find another way, but I would rather fly into florence as transportation from bologna to florence was costly in terms of flights.

Any recomendations?

Thanks so much.

by leics

Assuming you are flying into Florence airport and not Pisa:

Airport transport info here:

Bus timetable:

5 euros sounds about right (although I have not taken it personally) and, of course, it goes both ways.

You can use the left luggage facilities (not lockers) at Florence Santa Maria Novella railway station. On the ground floor, Galleria di testa. Open 7 days a week from 06:00 to 24:00. Charges:
4,00 € the first 5 hours
0,60 € /hour from 6th to 12th hour
0,20 € /hour from 13th hour on

Details on www.grandistazione.it (English version available at top of page).

Travel Tips for Florence

visit the amazing sculpture...

by JaumeBCN

visit the amazing sculpture 'David' made by Michelangelo in 1504. It is located in the Galleria dell'Accademia. The statue was first located in the Piazza della Signoria but in 1873 was moved here to protect it. Nowadays there is a copy of it at that square. When Michelangelo made the David he was only 29 years old and became the best sculptor of that time.

Do try to learn a little...

by Paulann7326

Do try to learn a little Italian, it will be seen as a sign of respect. People become much more helpful once you make an effort.
*It's also important to say hello when you walk into any store or business. I got an extra (embarassingly) big serving of gelati because the countergirl said I was first American with manners to come in that day.

Quarter CPA - CLOSED

by fgfi

Unfortunately Quarter closed some months ago because of the lack of funds. It's sad, but I don't want to remove this tip, because I really would like it to open again soon....

CPA means Centro Produzione Arte.
Quarter is a brand new contemporary art center, opened in December 2004. It was an abandoned mansion before that was occupied and self managed as a social center. Now it is a beatiful area where many important artists already showed their works.

Casual comfort

by gfinesilver about Montecarla

Very kitch and comfortable. If I didn't know any better, I'd say it was a brothel. Like many bars in town, you need a membership card to get in which is 5 euros and you buy it the first time.
Drink the mojitos. Casual

Hello, you must be a tourist!

by rsilva about da Garibardi

This restaurant was recommened by the hotel owner and was located just a few steps from the hotel, so we decided to give it a try.

We were not impressed by the fact that almost every customer was a foreigner. We sat next to a British and an American family.

Service was slow and waiters were actually a bit on the rude side. I asked the waiter where the bathroom was, in Italian (I speak fluently, without any noticeable accent) and got a reply in English. They just know who the tourists are...

Food was not really good and one unforgivable thing happened: the pasta was not cooked properly.
I live with an Italian and many of my friends are Italian and they all know the importance of a properly cooked pasta, so do I. This one was undercooked, I am not talking about "al dente" (which is the way I like it), but just a few minutes undercooked. This is just not acceptable and it has NEVER happened to me in any other italian restaurant (in Italy, of course).

My girlfriend had a sallad, which was not very good either.

I think this is enough. Just do yourself a favour and avoid this place.

Comments