Golden Tower Hotel

Expedia.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Florence

Walking around the Boboli GardensWalking around the Boboli Gardens

The Italian tiles and marbles on the floorThe Italian tiles and marbles on the floor

doorbelldoorbell

killing time while in linekilling time while in line

Florence - Restaurants and other tips

by val7449

Hi everyone. I am visiting Florence in April and I would like some info about non tourist restaurants and cafes. From my experience the places that local people go are more traditional and perhaps with better quality. Even if I'm wrong I'd still like a few tips on places to go, tips that you cannot find in travel quids and only local people can give you...

Thanks!

by footstool

In March 2005, we ate at trattoria Marione, via della Spada, 27r. www.marione.firenze.net. From the outside, it looks like a butcher shop. For 37.95E (I still have the receipt), the 2 of us had 2 first courses, 2 second courses, and coffee (no dessert and no wine). They have a brick oven in the basement, in which they make the best lasagna al forno which is crispy, on the outside, like a potato chip! And for lunch, you MUst go to La Grotta di Leo, via della Scala, 41/43. www.lagrottadileo.it. Again, the crispiest (on the outside) baked chicken, with the most delicious and filling vegetable soup. I don't have the receipt anymore, but I recall the tourist lunch menu was 10E each. I think the Euro, in 2005, was worth about what it is today: around 1.35 USD. Mangia!

by kathymof

I have a tip on my Florence page to a great little place in the Oltrano. We ate there a couple times because it was so good.

by laforstraveller

My mom and I found a wonderful little place in the Piazza del Mercato Centrale. The restaurant Antica Taberna del Botticelli had outdoor seating and quite a large menu. I had the Tortellini Prosciutto e Pana which was mouthwateringly wonderful. There were several more restaurants in the Piazza worth looking at too. Take a look at VT Sue Stone's restaurant tips for Florence. She's a foodie and never fails to recommend great places to eat.

The Piazza del Mercato Centrale is just East of the train station and North of the Basilica di San Lorenzo. Very easy to find.

Travel Tips for Florence

Going to the top of the Duomo...

by Patricialuv

Going to the top of the Duomo is definetely a great experience. For those who have the energy to walk some 400 steps (takes 15 minutes to get all the way to the top), I would greatly recommend it. The view from there gives you a beautiful scenery of the city.

Visiting the Uffizi Gallery (for those who love Renaissance Art)and the Boboli Gardens (for those who love nature), both are must see places. The Arno River is right in front of the Uffizi Gallery, where the view of the Ponte Vecchio can be seen.

Piazza della Signoria (which is right next to the Uffizi Gallery) contains the Palazzo Vecchio, which is also a very interesting place to go. It's like the 1500's and the 1600's coming alive right before your eyes. My fondest memory of Florence would have to be walking through the Duomo, Ponte Vecchio and Piazza della Signoria at night. The temperature is great, (no higher than 65 F) in the summer, and everyone is out. Lots of restaurants are located throughout the enchanted city.

If you do decide on visiting...

by josie13

If you do decide on visiting the Uffizi, Italy's greatest art gallery, I highly recommend that you purchase a guide which gives a good description of the major paintings and a recommended route to see the large amount of works. Since the paintings are hung in chronological order you will be able to experience the development of Florentine art from Byzantine to High Renaissance and beyond.

Certosa monastery

by fgfi

The Certosa is a 14th century Carthusian monastery standing on a hill (Galluzzo), on the way to Siena. The Carthusians followed St. Benedict's rule with extraordinary vigor ( work and prey) and produced spectacular handcrafts, in particular inlays. Each monk had a cell where he worked and took his meals, and another where he slept and prayed; the cells are arranged around the main cloister, and the complex looks very much like a fortress.

Today it is inhabited by a group of Cistercian Benedictine monks.
Part of the monastery is open to visitors, except Mondays.

To go there take the 37 bus, which leaves from Piazza Santa Maria Novella.

Transport from Pisa

by kirsty_lamb

We got a terrorvision bus, which was going to be great, 70 minutes and we would be there and then the same back.....reserved in advance on the internet to make sure it was all sorted....

No such luck! WE got there to find a train strike, which is fair enough, however as we got there 40 minuted before we were due to leave, (recommended 10 minuted by them, and we also were not aware of the train stricke until we were there) we found our reservations counted for nothing and we had been bumped back two hours as the rest of the coaches were full. It did however only take 70 minutes (but the bus had also been delayed getting to us).

On the way back it took 2 and a quater hours due to normal rush hour traffic....we nearly missed out plane....

The train strike is fair enough, but to cancel your reservations is a bit rubbish, but to say 70 minutes and not give a rush hour warning is REALLY bad. Nice idea and great buses. The staff were also as helpful as they probably could have been too.

You know you're in Italy

by Canadian_Traveler about il Cantinone

I'm writing this tip almost 3 years after the fact but it's one of those experiences you just don't forget. Everything about this restuarant is wonderful: the location, the atmosphere, the service, and of course...the food!

If you love the experience of Italian dining (a full evening affair), you will absolutely love this place. We spent a solid 3 hrs here and drank two bottles of wine between two of us. Don't come if you're in a rush...this place will remind you to slow down and enjoy everything Italy has to offer. I really don't remember what I ate and I know that's a horrible thing to say when you're writing a restaurant tip but the truth is, this was my best overall meal in the two weeks I spent in Europe. Take my word for it...you'll love this place.

Comments