Via Del Proconsolo 3, Florence, Tuscany, 50122, Italy

Expedia.com Venere.com Orbitz.com

Costs 24% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• sjmouchy's Profile Photo

Many Pros but 1 important Con.

The hotel service is what one can expect from a 4 star facility, although nothing exceptional. I understand some rooms are being redecorated, however our rooms were updated, nicely decorated and exceptionally clean. The bathrooms are very small. In fact, one room had only a standing shower stall which was so small that your elbows hit the walls! LOL The only real negative is the hotel is near some popular nightclubs and is very noisy from the after hours partying on the street. After 2 sleepless nights, were glad to move on.

Unique Quality: The view from our room was fantastic and the location is convenient and easy walking distance to all the sights.

• The Worst Hotel Ever - Ruined our weekend

Right, where to begin. This place is the worst hotel I have ever come accross. I have been working in corporate events for many years and as part of my job i have been to many hotels in many different countries and this one really stands out as a "stinker". So bad that they managed to not book the Uffizi Gallery (the reason we had come to Florence) and made the whole weekend an expensive waste of time.

Here is what my stay was like
    Called in advance to book the Uffizi Gallery - They told me in a matter of fact way that they could only do this when we were at the hotel and not in advance - even though I paid in advance. I was told to ask them when i arrived and that it would be "No Problem".

I arrived and asked where I could park my car. They said that there would be someone round within 20 mins to take it to the out of town car park..... It took them 1:30 to pick up my car, all the time I had to wait. That was a long time considering we were only there for the weekend.

Asked them to book the Uffizzi at 2:30pm. And was told that is that would be fine.

Got to the room - couldn't find it (no one showed us)... very small with no view and a very funny SMELL! As if they had burn incense to mask another smell. Not nice.

That evening when to pick up the tickets to the Gallery... and was told to my amazement that they has not managed to get through on the booking line and that it closed at 5:30. I had asked them 3 hours before the lines closed! I was told that they COULD book them the following morning (a Sunday) and that they would be ready by 10am the next morning.

That morning, came to collect my tickets and was told they were closed on a Sunday and that they would not be able to get us the tickets we had asked for 5 days now before. I was told that they only way to get tickets was to queue for 4 hours. Yes 4 Hours only the only full day we had in the city. The reason we came to the city was to visit the gallery and now we would not be able to go.

My Partner was in tears, and really ruined a romantic and very expensive weekend.

When I lost it with the hotel manager I was told:

"I am sorry we made this mistake, but it was not our job to help guests just to provide a room and we have done that".

I don't know about you... but in my view the role of a 4star hotel is to help their guests and make them feel welcome. That is why I pay the extra money, not because they have nicer rooms.

NEVER EVER GO HERE. It was heart breaking!

• fdrich29's Profile Photo

Impossible to find by car

Trying to find this hotel was the only dark spot on an otherwise wonderful honeymoon. The hotel where we had our vouchures said their ac was broken and they were sending their customers to other hotels. I was promised this hotel was only 5 minutes from the first hotel (it was right near the Duomo). I wish I was exaggerating when I say it took us four hours to find the hotel, even with maps at our disposal and stopping to ask for directions several times. Finally I pulled into the parking lot across from the Carbonieri and Uffizi Mall and started walking up the street which looked like where the hotel should be. It turned out it was on a one way street and when pulling onto the street you could only take a left, and the hotel was to the right. The big problem was once you took the left the street changed names. Anyway, after finally getting there the hotel didnt look like much from the outside, but of course you cant judge a book by its cover. The lobby was beautiful, with a waterfountain by the elevators and humungous arts books on the coffee tables. Our room was nice, there were two large, heavy wooden doors to keep the sun out in front of the windows. When opened you could walk right out into a courtyard of sorts that had no ceiling. We got a good nights sleep after a very long, frustrating day.

Unique Quality: The hotel will park your car for you and bring it to you when you check out, but it will cost you almost 30 Euro.

• rstary's Profile Photo

Roomy accomodations

The rooms were nicely appointed and there was plenty of room to move about. A couple who was travelling with us was put in a much larger room with a balcony. This room was on the second floor and they were not charged extra for it. You may want to ask for it.

See the picture of the balcony.

Unique Quality: The most unique quality of this hotel was the spaciousness of the rooms

Directions: About two blocks from the Duomo and a 20 minute walk from the train station.

More about Grand Hotel Cavour

Long wait for taxi at train station

by rstary

You may want to walk from the train station to your hotel. The wait for a taxi at the stand looked to be about 45 minutes.

We elected to walk to the Grand Hotel Cavour. It ended up being a 20 minute walk and wasn't bad with luggage on wheels.

Don't try to cross the main intersection outside of the train station. Look for the stairs that will take you to a tunnel below the intersection.

A Lovely Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member DolceVuitton

Of all the hotels I stayed at during my trip to Italy, Grand Hotel Cavour was by far my favorite.

The location was great. It is within walking distance of a fair amount of Florence attractions.

Leaving on foot from the Hotel my Aunt and I were able to walk to The Duomo, Piazza Della Signoria, some lovely boutiques and plenty of great restaurants and cafe's.

Another advantage to Cavour's location is the ability to walk from and back to the train station.

The hotel staff were very helpful, my Aunt and I made our reservation well in advance to our arrival. However we both failed to realize until check in that we had only requested a one night stay, when we really required a two night stay. The staff were very gracious, they changed the reservation with no hesitation or fuss.

The room accommidations were very comfortable and up to date.

To sum everything up, A lovely hotel in an even lovelier city.

Great Location but the rooms are nothing like pictured on the web-site

by TripAdvisor Member Burns301274

I booked into this hotel over the New Year period having liked the location it was in (which is excellent) and from the pictures on the hotels own web-site showing clean comfortable rooms with modern bathrooms and the decor in a cream/beige contempary style. It looked perfect!
however upon our arrival things were very different, we checked in and the reception staff were friendly and helpful, although the lobby did have an aroma of untreated sewage about it. As our room was not ready we had a walk around Florence for around an hour before going back to the hotel to have a rest in our room prior to going out in the evening.

Upon getting to the room and opening the door I was shocked, disappointed and very upset to see the room did not even slightly resemble the rooms pictured upon their web-site, instead of cool sophisticated contempary room with limestone bathrooms I was greeted with a seedy looking dark red highly patterned carpet, old fashioned furniture, walls which were bashed, marked and battered and a bed which had lets just say definately seen better days. I then went into the bathroom which was covered in turquoise tiles with the customary grubby grout one would expect from a bathroom as dated and worn out as this. The room felt seedy and the clealiness was not to the standard I would expect with large amounts of dust upon the skirting boards.

I immediately rang down to the reception and expalined this was not the room I had booked from looking upon their web-site, they explained that the room on the website was a deluxe room and as I had booked a standard rooms this was it. To cut a very long story short, which would mean descibing all details and conversations i had with the extremely unhelpful man (not the Manager as apparantly they did not have anyone in the hotel for the next 2 days who was Management), this hotel only has 25-30 rooms out of the 109 rooms which have been refurbished and the hotel does not seem to feel there is anything misleading or wrong by not pointing this out or even picturing the standard rooms upon their website, they were dishonest, lied and incredibly unhelpful. We were told that if we checked out we would be charged 180 euros for our first night, I informed them they were not to do this as we had been sold something completely different to what we received (it remains to be seen if they do charge us) I asked if they could assist in finding us another hotel room as they could not provide us with what was sold and i was unprepared to sleep in a room that was not as clean as it should be, they lied and said they had tried all the city hotels and they were full (it was New years eve). In the end I went to reception and demanded the local telephone directory and called the Gallery Art Hotel and was told they had availabilty. We checked out and for an extra 12 euros per night stayed in a hotel which was fabulous, with polite, helpful charming staff set in a clean contempary setting as I'd hope the Grand hotel Cavour would be.Think very carefully if you book this hotel,it has nothing going for it other than the location.

Fine and practical for visiting Florence

by TripAdvisor Member Prissi

For a 3-star hotel, which is its local rating, even though our travel agency listed it as 4-star, the Cavour is fine. The room they had reserved for us had been recently remodeled. Unfortunately, it was dark, being on the 3rd floor on a narrow street (we had requested a quiet room). The newly modeled bathroom must have been designed by an engineer concerned more with aesthetics than comfort. Anyway, we asked for a brighter room and switched to the 5th floor on day 2. There the room was older but comfortable, still on the same narrow street but with a great view of the Bargello and the Palazzo Vechio over the nearby roofs. The bathroom was small but practical. Small but good shower. The beds were slightly less firm than in the first room but acceptable. Breakfast was not very interesting. In both rooms, the electrical lighting was insufficient. The best thing about the Cavour is its location, between the Duomo and the Piazza della Signoria.

Loved the location

by TripAdvisor Member tzakes

The location for this hotel was great. The room we had was very large but the street noise was bad when trying to sleep. For the price the hotel was sufficient. We had an older room and the bathroom layout was awful. Not much space and when you took a shower water would spray outside into the room. Also I didn't see any bugs but got a few bites.

you will get much better room if you can pay a bit more!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Fayt

we have booked this hotel for a short trip (1 night). Firstly, we have a reservation for standard room but when we read the review of the one below, we are frightening and immediately change the room to the superior room. Eventhough it is not the same one as the hotel website but it is nicer compare to the standard room.If you can pay a bit more and ask for the new wing, it will be fine. Location wise , it is fantastic as near every museums,shops and restaurants.

Comments