Grand Hotel Cavour

Tags

Museum Visits Luxury Travel
See Amenities
sjmouchy's Profile Photo

Many Pros but 1 important Con.

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 19, 2010

The hotel service is what one can expect from a 4 star facility, although nothing exceptional. I understand some rooms are being redecorated, however our rooms were updated, nicely decorated and exceptionally clean. The bathrooms are very small. In fact, one room had only a standing shower stall which was so small that your elbows hit the walls! LOL The only real negative is the hotel is near some popular nightclubs and is very noisy from the after hours partying on the street. After 2 sleepless nights, were glad to move on.

Unique Quality: The view from our room was fantastic and the location is convenient and easy walking distance to all the sights.

The Worst Hotel Ever - Ruined our weekend

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 15, 2009

Right, where to begin. This place is the worst hotel I have ever come accross. I have been working in corporate events for many years and as part of my job i have been to many hotels in many different countries and this one really stands out as a "stinker". So bad that they managed to not book the Uffizi Gallery (the reason we had come to Florence) and made the whole weekend an expensive waste of time.

Here is what my stay was like
Called in advance to book the Uffizi Gallery - They told me in a matter of fact way that they could only do this when we were at the hotel and not in advance - even though I paid in advance. I was told to ask them when i arrived and that it would be "No Problem".

I arrived and asked where I could park my car. They said that there would be someone round within 20 mins to take it to the out of town car park..... It took them 1:30 to pick up my car, all the time I had to wait. That was a long time considering we were only there for the weekend.

Asked them to book the Uffizzi at 2:30pm. And was told that is that would be fine.

Got to the room - couldn't find it (no one showed us)... very small with no view and a very funny SMELL! As if they had burn incense to mask another smell. Not nice.

That evening when to pick up the tickets to the Gallery... and was told to my amazement that they has not managed to get through on the booking line and that it closed at 5:30. I had asked them 3 hours before the lines closed! I was told that they COULD book them the following morning (a Sunday) and that they would be ready by 10am the next morning.

That morning, came to collect my tickets and was told they were closed on a Sunday and that they would not be able to get us the tickets we had asked for 5 days now before. I was told that they only way to get tickets was to queue for 4 hours. Yes 4 Hours only the only full day we had in the city. The reason we came to the city was to visit the gallery and now we would not be able to go.

My Partner was in tears, and really ruined a romantic and very expensive weekend.

When I lost it with the hotel manager I was told:

"I am sorry we made this mistake, but it was not our job to help guests just to provide a room and we have done that".

I don't know about you... but in my view the role of a 4star hotel is to help their guests and make them feel welcome. That is why I pay the extra money, not because they have nicer rooms.

NEVER EVER GO HERE. It was heart breaking!

fdrich29's Profile Photo

Impossible to find by car

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 17, 2006

Trying to find this hotel was the only dark spot on an otherwise wonderful honeymoon. The hotel where we had our vouchures said their ac was broken and they were sending their customers to other hotels. I was promised this hotel was only 5 minutes from the first hotel (it was right near the Duomo). I wish I was exaggerating when I say it took us four hours to find the hotel, even with maps at our disposal and stopping to ask for directions several times. Finally I pulled into the parking lot across from the Carbonieri and Uffizi Mall and started walking up the street which looked like where the hotel should be. It turned out it was on a one way street and when pulling onto the street you could only take a left, and the hotel was to the right. The big problem was once you took the left the street changed names. Anyway, after finally getting there the hotel didnt look like much from the outside, but of course you cant judge a book by its cover. The lobby was beautiful, with a waterfountain by the elevators and humungous arts books on the coffee tables. Our room was nice, there were two large, heavy wooden doors to keep the sun out in front of the windows. When opened you could walk right out into a courtyard of sorts that had no ceiling. We got a good nights sleep after a very long, frustrating day.

Unique Quality: The hotel will park your car for you and bring it to you when you check out, but it will cost you almost 30 Euro.

rstary's Profile Photo

Roomy accomodations

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 5, 2003

The rooms were nicely appointed and there was plenty of room to move about. A couple who was travelling with us was put in a much larger room with a balcony. This room was on the second floor and they were not charged extra for it. You may want to ask for it.

See the picture of the balcony.

Unique Quality: The most unique quality of this hotel was the spaciousness of the rooms

Directions: About two blocks from the Duomo and a 20 minute walk from the train station.

Nearby Grand Hotel Cavour

• Pets Allowed
  • Suites
  • Continental Breakfast

Florence Travel Forum

Need advice about Florence, Italy? Visit the Travel Forum for Florence and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Florence hotel reviews

Cycling
Left Luggage
Airport Bus
Transportation
Florentine Leather Purses - oh là là!!!