Piazza Ognissanti 1, Florence, Tuscany, I-50123, Italy

Expedia.com StRegis.com Venere.com

Costs 55% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• walterwerner's Profile Photo

Grand Hotel

We didn't have to pay because we were using Frequent Travelor points. This was a 5-star hotel, and the room was spectacular. If I had to guess, I would say the room would cost over $300 a night, and probably closer to $500.

Unique Quality: Well, when we left the train station, we though we saw our hotel--we were staying at the Grand Hotel. So, we walk over toward it, and saw another Grand Hotel in the same square. Ours was actually a couple blocks away, and on the walk to it, we saw 'Grand Hotel Minerva'. Hmmm, Florence has at least four Grand Hotels. A Bit confusing.

More about Grand Hotel Florence

Hotel feeling its age

by TripAdvisor Member aztroon

We decided to stay at the Grand Hotel Florence, since it was ranked as one of the top hotels in Florence. We stayed 5 nights, and there were highs and lows to our stay.

The hotel is located along the Arno River, with a very nice location across the square from the Westin Excelsior Florence. There is close shopping and some great restaurants in the area. The best thing about the hotel is almost every night on the terrace alongside the square they have a wonderful singing duo that performs. It echos throught the square, and just sets a great atmosphere with the Arno right there.

Here is the deal, we had two rooms. One in the light newer area of the hotel (the front part), and one in the dark castle like area (the back part). What a difference...the front part of the hotel has smaller rooms that have been renovation, while the back part of the hotel has larger rooms that have not been renovated. It is also very expensive to stay here, and seeing the difference in the rooms really made me question the cost of staying here.

Florence is my favorite city, and I think I would stay at the Savoy the next time I am in town.

Now, the staff, especially the Concierge is very friendly. With a little renovation this hotel could be one of the best in Italy.

Loved it

by TripAdvisor Member blumarina

The hotel is beautiful and the location is right on the Arno River. The view of the river is wonderful and within walking distance to many of the sites. Everything was perfect from the rooms to the service. Out of all the other places in Florence, I would recommend this one. I've stayed in other hotels in Florence and this one is much more grand.

Great stay!

by TripAdvisor Member dubbs605

The service was top notch. The hotel is right on the Arno river, a short walk from everything in Florence. The room was huge and beautifully decorated. I would highly recommend this hotel. I was able to reserve through Starwood which was very convenient.

Wonderful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member bevchris

We stayed at the Grand Hotel for 4 nights. We arrived by car and found it relatively easy to find. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a Junior Suite so had a room overlooking the Arno River. The room are very comfortable and spacious. The Hotel is lovely, very friendly staff, great food and a handy location. Just a short stroll to Ponte Vecchio. We would definately stay here again.

A not so Grand Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Albertm

We booked into the hotel way in advance. We were given a small dark room with the king bed almost wall to wall.

We were paying a rate for a 5 star hotel and expected a much larger room. The hallways need refurbishing.

The staff was stiff maybe because of the heat.

We left after one night and stayed at a lovely hotel with simular amenities, a much larger room over looking the Arno River, free internet access, a very helpful staff, at 25% less cost.

We have stayed at many 5 star hotels and felt the Grand Hotel was gave little value for a expensive hotel.

Wonderful hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Susal

The staff was friendly and helpful. My daughter is a runner, so it was great to be right on the Arno River, where she could safely run along the river and across the bridges to the other side. The breakfast buffet was extensive and delicious--we esp. loved the variety of fresh fruit--and the buffet room was lovely. Our room had beautiful murals painted on the walls. The room and bathroom were very large.

Beautiful and expensive

by TripAdvisor Member frogprince

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Hotel in Florence for 3 nights. This hotel is very well located and within easy walking distance to most of Florence's attractions. We had a beautiful room with a lovely view of the river. The bathroom was immaculate and the bed and the linens were great. The hallways are a little tired (stained carpet, scuffed walls) but the room made up for that. We had only one problem with the staff and that was at breakfast one day when they ignored us but other than that the staff members at this hotel were helpful and friendly. I would return to this hotel and recommend it to others, although it is pricey.

The Grand is a really grant hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member womencandoit

I spent 3 wonderful days at the Grand in October. It is an amazing hotel--large enough for 5 star amenities but small enough to feel like an intimate boutique hotel. Rooms are spacious, decor looks like an older era yet feels like modern luxury (fantastic bed/linens), AND you can use your starwood points for a deluxe river view room or suite. Best of all are the people. From Aldo at the door to Marco at the concierge desk, at each return from your adventuring, you are greeted like a friend. And the view is so amazing that you might not even want to go outside! It's a perfect spot to watch the sunset over the Arno, and a close walk to everything you want to see and explore. It would be hard to find a more beautiful hotel with better service. Of course, the weather cooperated with amazing sunshine day after day. My best memory: watchig the sun set over the water with a glass of barbera after climbing all 400 + steps of the campanile!
for more images, visit womencandoit.com/florence06/index.htm