Lungarno Del Tempio 42 / 44, Florence, Tuscany, 50121, Italy

Satisfaction Average

Costs 26% more and rated 13% lower than other 4 star hotels

• Acirfa's Profile Photo

Perfectly Located

This hotel served it's purpose for me, it is located a short walk away from the historic centre and ticks both of the requirements I have
    for a comfortable stay, which are clean sheets and a clean comfortable bathroom.

The food here leaves a lot to be desired, so I would recommend taking only breakfast here, if you must but I would advise that it would be preferable to take a stroll to one of the patisseries instead.

The bar closes at midnight so if you have a late flight do not expect to have a night cap after this time.

There are maps of the vacinity to pick up at the desk to help you find your way around.

Unique Quality: It's location is this hotels best quality in my opinion.

Easy access to both shops and the historic centre.

• bren1125's Profile Photo

Grand Hotel Mediterraneo

The Grand Hotel Mediterraneo has a wonderful view over the famous river Arno banks (called "Lungarni"), near the beautiful Piazza Santa Croce, with a stunning panorama of the city Renaissance beauties along the river Arno and on the Florentine hills.

The Grand Hotel Mediterraneo is very close to the most important monuments, including Piazza Santa Croce, Piazzale Michelangelo, the Uffizi Gallery and Ponte Vecchio. At walking distance from the hotel you can find the most glamorous shopping area, such as Via Tornabuoni, Via Roma, Via Calzaiuoli and Via della Vigna Nuova.

Unique Quality: Three in-house restaurants - the Taverna, the Ristorante Arno and the Ristorante Fiesole - delicious specialties of the traditional local cuisine.

The American Bar and Lounge is the right place to enjoy a wide choice of drinks before or after dinner.

The hotel also features two in-house boutiques where you can try and choose stylish hand-made leather items at excellent prices.

In the hall there is an Internet Point, available 24 hours a day.

They provide a map for two jogging trails located nearby. One trail 1.4 miles and the second 3.7. So I guess it depends on how much pasta was eaten the night before.

More about Grand Hotel Mediterraneo

Great place to base your trip to Florence

by TripAdvisor Member basianov

We visited Florence in May 2005 and stayed for five nights at the Grand Hotel Mediterraneo. I found this place to be a fantastic deal. It is not luxurious; however, the rooms were very clean, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was large for European standards. In addition, the breakfast in the morning was plentiful, with both hot and cold choices.

I found the location to be perfect. It was far enough away from the traditional touristy places to a bit less expensive; however, close enough for a very pleasant walk. One could reach the Duomo in 15-20 minutes and the main Florence train station in about 35-40 minutes. In addition, we traveled with someone who was in a wheelchair, and the distance of this hotel was not at all a problem for us (although traveling via wheelchair in Florence can be challenging, with narrow/cobblestoned sidewalks!). There is a charming little park right across the street from the hotel, where we relaxed on our first day.

If you seek luxurious accomodations, there are better hotels for you. However, don't think this place is spartan - I found it to be a fine hotel for the price and an above average stay. A great place for families or friends traveling together, but I might choose a place a bit more sumptuous for a honeymoon or something special. Keep in mind that we are the kind of travelers who are constantly on the go, so luxury is often wasted on us given that we hardly spend any time in the hotel room!

Ciao!

Ok hotel

Average hotel.Room was nice and clean.Breakfast was just ok.Eggs and bacon were cold first day.Hotel was to far to walk for my mother-in-law to get into heart of city.Staff was helpful in getting taxi and setting up tour for us.Large lobby with nice bar and internet for 5 e.Gift shop was best in hotel during our trip.First floor of rooms were being done over and it was loud during the day so there was no chance to come back to room for rest since we were on the second floor.Hotel has alot of tour busses staying there.

Stay was OK, but I would not return.

by TripAdvisor Member Hellohola

our room was on the 6th floor. it was small & stuffy. the air condtioning was out of service & we repeatedly called the front desk asking for help. they kept saying someone would be sent over, but they never came. when a fan was requested they were very rude & said no. windows in room did not lock & staff was not friendly or helpful. lobby
is very nice, but rooms could use a lot of work.

Fine place

by TripAdvisor Member JabezCole2006

On a tour with the French club, and the facility was clean and well kept. the tour groups are put in the back of the facility away from the other guests. The staff was quickly impatient with the teenagers, but the stay was very good. Location of 15 minute walk to city center and most sites was perfect.

great hotel

I stayed at this hotel for one night as part of an organized tour group, along with two other family members. The hotel is currently undergoing some renovations. Our group's rooms were in the main part of the building which had been recently renovated. The lobby is very spacious and open. Public areas were very clean. Several computers with internet access are located in the lobby and they were always busy.

As we were three travelling together, we had a room on the 6th floor (take the elevator up to the 5th floor and then you need to walk up to the 6th). These rooms are suite-like with two bedrooms, a sitting room, and a large bathroom with two sinks. Some other members of the tour group (those travelling with the group) had very small rooms however with small bathrooms in which their knees touched the sink while sitting on the toilet or had their elbows banging into walls when they were in the shower.

Had a problem with the air conditioning not working when we soon arrived. After checking all the windows, we found that one was not closed all the way. When the window was firmly closed, the air conditioning came on, but since the room was rather large it took awhile for it to cool down.

It is about a 10-20 minute walk down to the city center & shops. Short walk to the Arno River where the scenery is very beautiful.

I wish we could have stayed here longer than one night as it was better than some hotels on our tour. I would definitely stay here again if given the opportunity for a return trip to Florence.

A pleasant place in a perfect location!

by TripAdvisor Member aka-79

We stayed in Florence for 5 days and the hotel provided an optimal combination of facilities, location and price! 10 minutes walking from busy touristic places, it has a great view on the other bank of Arno and the city. A few excellent restaurants can be found on the way to the center, where mostly locals go - real Italian food and no extra charging.

Hotel staff is great. The air company lost our luggage and we've got a big support from the reception desk when contacting the Lost&Found office. In evening the suit case was already in our room.

Good value at height of expensive tourist season

by TripAdvisor Member Emmos

I spent three nights at the hotel, which I booked fairly last minute after finding out any more central hotels in Firenze were too expensive or booked out. We had a double room - the bed was pretty big, but the room was small. It came with ensuite, TV, mini-bar and free buffet breakfast, which was ok. B'fast was yoghurt, fruit, cereal, pastrics, hot drinks, etc. The staff were friendly and can sell you bus tickets if you need them. The hotel is right near the Arno River and it takes about 15 mins to walk to the Ponte Vecchio (Old Bridge), from there you're near the Uffizi gallary and then onto the Duomo (Cathedral), which is probs about 30 mins away from the hotel. Also nearby is the area of Santa Croce, which has lots of trattoria, osterias and cool bars. I would stay here again at the last min, but if I had more time would probably go a bit central or rent an apartment.

nice hotel in the center of florence

by TripAdvisor Member trinity-tiger

this hotel was part of my insight amazing italy tour

this hotel is in te center of florence - the rooms were nice and clean

the included dinner was okay

the included breakfast buffet was wonderful

the hotel has internet service in the lobby for a nominal fee (5 euros for 30 minutes)

if i were to visit florence again, i would consider this hotel

i am from san antonio, texas

Choosing a hotel in Florence

by Bernie157

We are coming to Florence on March 4-9. We are currently booked at the Grand Hotel Mediterraneo but I have seen some poor reviews of that place. Also, it is just outside (to the east) of the Centro although along the Arno river.

Assuming I am even able to change my reservations, I am now thinking I want to choose between one of the following hotels and would like some feedback as soon as possible.

Grand Hotel Majestic
Croce di Malta
Macchiavelli

Please let me know what you think and/or point me in the right direction. I was in TripAdvisor.com but didn't see anything on these hotels.

Thank you.
Bernie

Re: Choosing a hotel in Florence

by Bernie157

I found reviews of all 3 at TripAdvisor.com of which the Majestic and the Malta had too many poor reviews.

I went ahead and made the hotel change, to the Macchiavelli Palace (called Hotel Macchiavelli sometimes).

Bernie

Re: Re: Choosing a hotel in Florence

by bryanleighty

Bernie,
we are heading to Florence from the 15th to the 19th..
have not booked our hotel yet..
still checking everything out online. our friends have been there a couple times and say its pretty easy in the off season to get a place.

i am going to book somehting this weekend as we are arriving late and just want to have a nice clean room. expect that we will book for 1 night and extend if everything is as expected. if not, we are going to look around for something else.

this site, as well as others that have been recommended have been very helpful!!

Comments