Via Fiume 11, Florence, Tuscany, 50123, Italy

Booking.com Priceline.com HostelBookers.com

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Near the Train Station

We only had one night to stay in Florence and we had a 7:45 a.m. train the catch the next morning, so my top criteria for a hotel in Florence was on that was very near the train station. All the other amenities came into play as well, a queen size bed, private bathroom, WiFi connection and if possible a small breakfast. Hotel Angelica was our final decision after reviewing several others.

Although the room was adequate and the bathroom was just fine there were a couple of unexpected surprises that really made this hotel not up to the standards I expected.

We spent a little time looking for the street the hotel was on after we exited the train station, but once we got our bearings straight it was just one street over from the train station. We went upstairs to where our hotel was located and was greeted by the owner. She was pleasant enough and then mentioned that we would need to pay in cash for a one night stay. OK, but at the time I needed to get to a cash station at a bank and said I would pay in the morning.

We got our key, checked into the room, freshened up a bit and then left for the day.

When we got back around 11:00 p.m. that evening the owner was a bit miffed with us for not leaving the key (no mention of this was made earlier) and although this may be a bit more of a standard practice here it was something we were not accustomed to and didn't have to do in our 3 days in Rome.

Then when I said I wanted to use the WiFi for a bit in the lobby area (it didn't work in the room) again the owner was not too happy. I spent about 5 minutes on the internet and then went to our room.

Unique Quality: Again, our room was adequate. The bed was actually the worst part of the room. My wife and I both thought it was very uncomfortable and it did sag some.

The rating would have been Satisfied, but with the couple of unexpected surprises and really not made to feel like a guest I had to lower my ranking.

One other thing. We were leaving the hotel at 7:00 a.m. to walk to the train station. There were 3 other ladies having breakfast already in the small breakfast area and they knew we were leaving, but when they saw us they snatched up most of the food that had been put out, leaving us with a small pastry each. Very rude!!!

More about Florence

Firenze (Florence), ItalyFirenze (Florence), Italy

Christ and St. ThomasChrist and St. Thomas

Can you blame me?Can you blame me?

Great views of the inside architecture and artGreat views of the inside architecture and art

hotels

by dnat

Im going to be in Italy Sept 2-12 and am doing a kind of "wing it" trip so as to not lock myself in for specific dates in specific cities and give myself greater travel flexibility and was wondering if it would be possible to find hotels in Florence last minute or if I needed to go ahead and book something ahead of time, thanks.

don

by microsensazione

The two first weeks of September are not "high season" in Italy so it will not so difficult to find a last minute on hotels, at least about Florence and Rome. I can say the same thing about Venice because, even if there is "Regata Storica" on first Sunday of September, you could find hotel in the cheaper and nice Treviso (half hour by train far from Venice).
I usually book hotels on

by leics

I usually use www.venere.com for Italy, because it lists almost all Italian hotels and is just as reliable as booking.com (which I also use regularly0.

Both sites have honest guest reviews, neither will take any money from you.

Personally, I would never just turn up anywhere (especially if I needed parking and/or was working within a budget) because I am a cautious soul. Florence is a popular budget carrier destination (via Pisa) all year round.

More importantly, walk-up hotel rates in Europe are usually higher than those on booking.com and venere.com (both of whose rates tend to be lower than those on the hotel's own website).

So to be certain of a hotel at the price you want in the location you want I'd advise you to book in advance. there are no cancellation charges on either site, usually up to 24/48 hours in advance (check each hotel's policies, as they do vary). So you can book now and change your mind later, if you wish.

by marcanderson

Getting a last minute hotel could be quite tasking. In the past, I used discount hotel
You may want to try it.. It also gives regulkar discount deals.
Have fun!

by TuscanyAdvisor

It depends on what kind of hotel you want. If you want somewhere nice, check on VT ot TA and book it NOW. September is not peak season, but it is not far off, and all ther nice places will still be very busy then, so don't hang about. You are unlikely to get things very much cheaper by booking late, and then you've got the stress of not being able to find anything nice.

Travel Tips for Florence

Ponte Vecchio

by RuiPT

One ex-libris of Florence it’s the “Ponte Vecchio” made to build to be used like aerial passage to the Pitys Palace located in the other bank. Initially the shops were Butcher’s but due to the smell they ordered to change with jewelleries. Today the shops sell only for tourist and perhaps you can find something to offer someone special.

At the Duomo, test your mettle...

by PartyRambo

At the Duomo, test your mettle climbing the steps of this 4th largest church in Europe - 277 steps (yes, I counted) from the ground to the gallery, and another 180 to the top of the dome. The view is definitely worth the admission and the effort (no elevator, sorry!).

Santa Croce - Look up!

by jon_and_may

In Santa Croce, make sure you make a point of looking up at the ceiling. There are some fantastic ceiling paintings, vaulting/ribbing, and lighting.

I think many tourists are wrapped up in looking at the tombs at Santa Croce and don't realize there's more to see. The arhitects and artists created these spaces with intention, it's our duty to make sure we notice it.

Florence's Tourist Nightclub

by grantravel about Space Electronica Night Club

It's probably not a place where most of the locals would go, so if you looking for somewhere like that avoid this place. But for tourist's looking to have an awesome night out and to meet other tourist's from all over the world this is the place to go.

Space Electronica is a great place for a fun night of dancing, karaoke and wet T shirt competitions. It has 2 stories, with a huge dance floor and bar upstairs and the karaoke bar downstairs.

A Homemade Meal

by kls67 about Trattoria Acquacotta

To be honest, we were a bit put off based on the exterior - however once we stepped in and took in the ambiance and the overwhelming smells, we knew we were destined to come in and partake. Both of us love the small, intimate, family owned restaurants - and this one fit the bill to a tee. The closely space tables dressed in the typical red and white tablecloths bring to mind a typical Italian dining room. Chianti bottles and fake plants line the small shelves on the walls. Those things aside, I can’t recommend this dining room enough.

The first night we visited, the lone waitress spoke little English, but she was able to share that her and her husband (the chef) owned the restaurant and that they had just opened it and wondered how we had found them... he even came out after we had dinner to give my mother the recipe for the wine reduction sauce ladled on the bistecca alla Fiorentina. We started quite a rapport with him.

Later that week, we went back with the entire party to celebrate a birthday and everyone working lit up to see us back again. Again, the food was incredible – it was so fresh…the chef made and brought to our table fresh focaccia bread topped with the freshest olive oil I’ve ever had. Throughout the night, plates of “special” items followed. I can’t promise everyone will have the same experience – but they will most certainly enjoy every minute of the time there. Bistecca alla Fiorentina - to die for

Comments