Hotel Angelica

riorich55's Profile Photo

Near the Train Station

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 20, 2012

We only had one night to stay in Florence and we had a 7:45 a.m. train the catch the next morning, so my top criteria for a hotel in Florence was on that was very near the train station. All the other amenities came into play as well, a queen size bed, private bathroom, WiFi connection and if possible a small breakfast. Hotel Angelica was our final decision after reviewing several others.

Although the room was adequate and the bathroom was just fine there were a couple of unexpected surprises that really made this hotel not up to the standards I expected.

We spent a little time looking for the street the hotel was on after we exited the train station, but once we got our bearings straight it was just one street over from the train station. We went upstairs to where our hotel was located and was greeted by the owner. She was pleasant enough and then mentioned that we would need to pay in cash for a one night stay. OK, but at the time I needed to get to a cash station at a bank and said I would pay in the morning.

We got our key, checked into the room, freshened up a bit and then left for the day.

When we got back around 11:00 p.m. that evening the owner was a bit miffed with us for not leaving the key (no mention of this was made earlier) and although this may be a bit more of a standard practice here it was something we were not accustomed to and didn't have to do in our 3 days in Rome.

Then when I said I wanted to use the WiFi for a bit in the lobby area (it didn't work in the room) again the owner was not too happy. I spent about 5 minutes on the internet and then went to our room.

Unique Quality: Again, our room was adequate. The bed was actually the worst part of the room. My wife and I both thought it was very uncomfortable and it did sag some.

The rating would have been Satisfied, but with the couple of unexpected surprises and really not made to feel like a guest I had to lower my ranking.

One other thing. We were leaving the hotel at 7:00 a.m. to walk to the train station. There were 3 other ladies having breakfast already in the small breakfast area and they knew we were leaving, but when they saw us they snatched up most of the food that had been put out, leaving us with a small pastry each. Very rude!!!

Nearby Hotel Angelica

• Bar / Lounge
  • Airport Transportation
  • Free High Speed Internet

Florence Travel Forum

Need advice about Florence, Italy? Visit the Travel Forum for Florence and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Florence hotel reviews

Ponte Vecchio
Shoes
Prada Outlet
Shopping
How to avoid waiting in lines
Where to find Great Shopping