Borgo degli Albizi, 26, Florence, Tuscany, 50100, Italy

More about Hotel Bavaria

Spirito Santo, BaldachinSpirito Santo, Baldachin

DavidDavid

Land of 1000 flavorsLand of 1000 flavors

Basilica di Santa Croce (Florence, Italy)Basilica di Santa Croce (Florence, Italy)

Accomodation in Florence

by Bonnie28

Hi there,

I'm taking an Italian course in Florence in mid-June for a month and am now looking for accomodation.

Any recommendation on where I can find reasonably-priced accomodation which is

1/ close to the city (the school in near the Duomo)
2/ allows me to interact with the locals
3/ gives me some privacy - I do prefer my own bathroom.

Hope these are not too impossible criteria.

Cheers
Bonnie

Re: Accomodation in Florence

by jglsongs

Hi Bonnie,

I don't know if a lot of places in June will have a month free, but give a try to my favorite Florence place:

La Scaletta- simple, nice, reasonable and very local.

(my Florence VT page)

Stefan

Hello Florence

by piniko

Hi Folks,

We'll be coming (3 dolls and a guy) to Florence about mid May. We'd appreciate if you have any suggestions for a nice place to stay, a memorable one preferably in the old city.

Thanks

by sniem

Hi there,
I can recommend the Albergo Porta Rossa, the oldest hotel in Florence. It's been a hotel for more than 700 years now, but don't worry they've did some renovations in the meantime :-). Location is great close to Piazza Republica, friends of mine stayed there in 2003 and payed 150 Euro for the double room. I've got address and phone on my Florence Page.
Silke

by seagoingJLW

Consider the HOTEL STROZZI PALACE - Florence
Via de' Vecchietti, 4 - 50123 Florence

Joan

by RandyGott

I had a nice stay at the Hotel Bavaria. Rooms were immense, Lenny the proprietor was very nice. Wouldn't say it was a top end hotel but fun place to stay and only 2 blocks from Duomo.

Randy

Places to stay in Florence

by jenineurope

I'm traveling to Florence for a week in May and I'm looking for suggestions on where to stay. I'd like to spend under 60 euro a night, for a single room with a shower and toilet. Close to the center of the city, or somewhere near the center., however cleanliness and friendly is more important to me than location. Thanks for your help!

Jennifer

by stfan

Hi,
I will also be in Florence in May :)
Try Venere.com they have plenty of cheap hotels there!

Hope this helps!
Stefan

by RandyGott

I just got back from Italy today. I stayed at the Hotel Bavaria. Clean, cheap, and the propirtor Lenny was very nice. 2 blocks from Duomo.

Randy

by DavidKeeling

If you are travelling alone, you might enjoy staying at the Europa Villa Camerata hostel. Why spend your euros on a room, when you will be spending all of your time touring?
The cost per bed is 16.50 euro with breakfast (no big deal, hard roll with bottomless coffee) and it is a relatively short bus ride from the train station.
Worth considering.
You may check their website.
www.florenceaighostel@virgilio.it
If their site is down, Google them. They are featured on other sites.

We stayed at the hostel, and at a hotel, just to balance our costs a bit. The difference made it possible to eat once in a while.

Enjoy your trip!
David

Re: Re: Places to stay in Florence

by CourtneyLyn

Hi!
Last month I stayed at Hotel Enza. The room was beautiful and the staff was so nice and friendly. We paid 55 euro for a double with a private bath. Also great location, right near piazza mercato centrale. We booked it through venere.com.

by zizkov

I'd recommend using venere.com also. I used it and booked the Montreal (which I would recommend). I was also a single traveller but booked for shared facilities (which were clean and not over busy) but actually managed to stay in 3 different rooms over 5 nights - getting a double with facs and breakfast only 10E more as I extended my stay. Tip, if you are booking an 'on request' hotel, you can request that other hotels send you offers and they may undercut the prices they display. Venere also has reviews from people who have stayed in the hotels and location maps. It seems that Florence actually has a decent range of reasonably priced and located hotels.

Travel Tips for Florence

Don't forget to say hello "al Maestro"

by GUYON

The poet, Dante Alighieri is one of the most famous citizens of Florence, even if he was catch away by political opponents.
His statue is on the Piazza della Signoria and is used as a perch to the pigeons.
He deserves a statue in each Italian city as the writer of The Divin Comedy and inventor of the Italian language.
Read more on the travelogue. Nel mezzo del camin di nostra vita mi ritrovai in una selva oscura ....

Coffee or beer in the student district

by MarvintheMartian

If you're taking in the sights between the Galleria Dell Accademia and the Piazza San Croce in the student area then you might pass by this place.
It's a small cafe/bar called Bar Brunellesco on Via Degli Alfoni.
It has a few tables outside but you order everything inside and just pay normal prices.
It's a good place to have a drink or snack for half an hour!

Where the Leather is.

by Goner about Peruzzi - Santa Croce Leather Factory

A really nice leather shop. They have leather in many colors and the workmanship was very good. Several people on our tour bought leather jackets here. comparable prices with other shops - $200 and up for good leather coats.

BY TRAIN!

by joh28

You can do every sightseeing by FOOT-WALK or busses, so donĀ“t use a car there! The driving of a Vespa (motor-scooter) is supposed by a good experience of Italian TRAFFIC RULES (the traffic is flowing everytime, no matter of traffic lights or traffic signs...). So be careful if you drive the first time in Italy ;-) !

A regular lunch

by Tijavi about Trattoria Zaza

After missing Mario's on my first attempt, I made my way back to Mercato Centrale to lunch at Mario's. But there was literally a queue and I was famished, so I settled at the restaurant next door, the more flamboyant Trattoria ZaZa. The place is huge by Florentine standards, and gaudily decorated with decor so heavy on the eyes - but I was so hungry that I couldn't be bothered by over-the-top decor.

The clam soup was a great choice in that cold, wet afternoon, and so was the grilled porkchop - a very simple lunch. But I was doubting their chianti rosso, which tasted diluted and lifeless. The dessert of eggless custard topped with chocolate, was decent, though.

Comments