Piazza Indipendenza 5, Florence, 50100, Italy

Expedia.com Travelocity Venere.com

Costs 36% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• mandybailey's Profile Photo

Central and great service

The staff were very friendly and reception was open 24 hours a day. They offered plenty of advice and tips.

Breakfast was good, buffet style and always replenished when items were running low.

The location was central and it was just a short walk to all major attractions. There are plenty of restaurants nearby.

The room was spacious and very clean. We had air conditioning, which was essential. We also had a complimentary bottle of Mumm sparkling wine! There was a safe in our room, free of charge. The beds were comfortable and it was very quiet at night. The bathroom had a jacuzzi bath, great for relaxing after a long day.

Unique Quality: The highlight was definitely the view of Il Duomo from our window.

Directions: At the end of Via Vazionale.
    5-10 minute walk to all central sites.

• great location

nice and clean hotel ,fresh towels and sheets every day ,helpful staff good location for sightseeing, near to the railway station were if like me you flew from the uk to pisa then took the terrivison coach to florance the coach drops you at the railway station

Unique Quality: 19th palace thats been converted into a hotel
    we stayed in room 102

Directions: 300 meters from the railway station down via nazionale

• debshamilton's Profile Photo

Good value stay

Excellent service by staff at the front desk and bar. The bedroom was large and had a great view over the Piazza Indipendenza. Breakfast was pretty typical and more than sufficient.

Unique Quality: Great location and within walking distance of all the main tourist attractions

Directions: 500m north east of the station

• argentia's Profile Photo

A Florentine Gem

This hotel has recently been renovated. The rooms are large and comfortable, with air conditioning and cable tv. There is a very satisfying buffet breakfast included. A computer in the lobby has internet access. Excellent location, close to the train station, the Duomo, L'Accademia, Piazza della Signoria, etc. We would absolutely stay here again.

Unique Quality: The staff are among the most helpful we've ever encountered. They happily booked us tickets to the L'Accademia, gave us tips on where they eat, and gave us free time on the computer.

Directions: On Piazza della Independenza

More about Hotel Caravaggio

Basic, clean hotel

by TripAdvisor Member raquellorraine

My fiance and I stayed at the Caravaggio one night, it's really a simple and sufficient hotel. I lived in a beautiful downtown Firenze apartment previously, so I can be a bit of a snob when it comes to other facilities. Normally my fiance and I stay at the Boscolo Astoria on via Giglio, which is a gorgeous hotel (and if you book on their website I've stayed there for 100 Euro - I would suggest trying) so anything but first class is always a bit disappointing. That said, the Hotel Caravaggio is a decent place to stay to discover Firenze. One long avenue down to Santa Maria Novella, then another 10 minute walk to the centre is not bad at all. The rooms are spotless but not elegant in any way. The pictures are a little bit deceiving. I don't know what that mess about currency fraud is... yes the Euro is expensive for American tourists. But you will ALWAYS be charged in Euros, when in EUROPE! The hotel staff wasn't unfriendly, but we didn't need their services since my fiance lives in Firenze, and I did previously. Compared to other central hotels, this one is definitely good for the money, and I would recommend it to a penny-watching tourist. Cheers.

Exchange Rate Scam

Wish we had seen the NY,NY review of 28 September before we stayed here because we also fell foul of the credit card exchange rate scam. Reception staff who had been seemingly very friendly and helpful did not give any indication whatsoever that we were being charged in GBP rather than Euros, let alone the lousy rate of exchange, and our queries were met with facial expressions and comments of surprise and protestations "its not us or the hotel but the bank" "we cannot do anything about it". Also, the road outside is very noisy day and night so ask for a room at the back of the hotel if you want any sleep at all.

Good Hotel, excellent breakfast, clean rooms

by TripAdvisor Member VisitorEngland

This hotel is excellent. Clean rooms, sheets changed three times in a week, clean quality towels every day. About 15 minutes walk from all the sights in Florence and 5-8 minutes from the main railway and coach station. Worth staying here as the hotel looks out onto an open area and has a good pizza place next door. Very friendly staff who care about their hotel! We stayed in February 2004 and although it was cold outside the hotel was nice and warm. Stay here, it is worth it.

loved the hotel. the facilities and cleanliness...

... and the hotel staff could not do enough for you. we had a great time on our first visit to florence.

Could not have had a better hotel. staff friendly and helpful. Cleanliness was of a high standard. Breakfast was good overall great value for money. we stayed from the 19th march until the 22nd march and would certainly stay again and reccomend to friends.

hotel suggestions

by debbyws

Can anyone recommend a moderately priced hotel or B&B in Florence. We will be there the last week in October. I think we would prefer not being near the train station.
Debby

by Ciambella

What is the price range that you consider moderate?

The train station is not a bad area at all, very convenient, lots of restaurants, walking distance to most sightseeing. Piazza Santa Maria Novella is near the train station, we stay there now and then; there are decent hotels and good ethnic restaurants, a beautiful church and a very famous antique perfumery with the same name.

by debbyws

We hoping to find something $100 USD or less. Is that possible?

by Ciambella

Hotel Fiorentino is on Piazza Santa Maria Novella, across a large intersection from the train station. We stayed there a few years back. Two weeks ago, we sent one of our friends there for a night. He liked it. It's a basic hotel, spacious (in Italian standard) and very clean.

Il Perseo is also a basic hotel with clean rooms and great location (in the historic center, half a block from the Duomo). Nice view from the rooftop.

Hotel Caravaggio is neither near the train station nor in the historic center, but a short walk away, on Piazza Independenza. The rate is a few dollars more than your budget, but it's a great hotel overall.

Try Eurocheapo, a good hotel-booking engine:

www.eurocheapo.com/florence

by mufla

on Your Way to Florence (www.yourwaytoflorence.com) you can find quite a noticeable amount of information and link to hotel, B&B and apartments.

by SFHulaGIrl

I stayed near the Train Station on my first trip to Florence. Actually, the area was alright. On my second and third trips, I stayed at Il Porcellino, which is next to the Straw Market. The rooms are neat and clean, the prices are moderate, the location is great, and the owner is incredibly nice. Look on my Florence travel pages for more info and photos of my room.

by jmhenry1123

I stayed at the Hotel Medici for 45 euro a night (granted my room did not have a private bath) but i think it is 70-75 for rooms with a bath.

Its only a 2 star hotel but has a great view of the duomo from its 6 floor terrace.

I made my reservation through venere.com but had to pay cash when I arrived.

by jmhenry1123

The Hotel Medici is 150 m away from the Piazza Duomo.

Comments