Viale Fratelli Rosselli 56, Florence, Tuscany, 50123, Italy

Hotel Golf (Firenze)
Hotel...

by aero198

Hotel Golf (Firenze)
Hotel Royal Santina (Roma)
Hotel Floriana Park (Sorrento)
Hotel Sheraton (Genova) very good prizes.

Mercato Centrale, Firenze (Florence)Mercato Centrale, Firenze (Florence)

Giambologna's Rape of the Sabine Women, ShadowGiambologna's Rape of the Sabine Women, Shadow

Santa Maria del FioreSanta Maria del Fiore

view of the Ponte Vecchio from the Uffizi Galeryview of the Ponte Vecchio from the Uffizi Galery

Reasonably priced hotel near train station and places to eat in florence

by danmarnc

I will only be in Florence for two nights and I would appreciate recommendations for decent hotels at reasonable prices not far from the train station.

Also, I would appreciate recommendation for good, Italian restaurants that the locals enjoy. I want to avoid the tourist restaurants if possible

Thanks!!

by leics

Look at www.venere.com, which is entirely reliable and has honest guest reviews (you can't post a review unless you've completed a stay booked through the site. It lists almost all Italian hotels and is used by many VT-ers.

www.booking.com is also entirely reliable.

I enjoyed my stays at the Hotel Delle Camellie, about 10 minutes walk from Santa Maria Novella station and in a quiet area. I booked through venere both times, but here's the hotel website:

As for restaurants, Trattoria Za-Za in Piazza del mercato centrale is packed with locals as well as visitors. The food is superb, and very reasonably-priced, but it's best to reserve a table:

by Jefie

I agree with leics, we had dinner at Trattoria Za-Za one evening and it was delicious! I also really enjoyed Giannino in San Lorenzo, though that one seemed to be mostly popular with visitors. But they do offer many Tuscan specialties and the food was really good, so I think it's worth checking it out.

Another nice and not too expensive hotel located near the train station is Porta Faenza (www.hotelportafaenza.it), and it's also listed in www.venere.com. We spent a week there and had a wonderful stay - breakfast was really good too. Hope this helps!

by rkearns

it's more of a pensione. AWESOME! been there twice. simple, cheap. you can get your own room. the owners are good people. 5 mins. from bus station.

by Maurizioago

I spent some nights at hotel Collodi in Florence some times ago. It is a nice place and is around 15 minutes by foot from the train station. Try google a bit for the address or have a look at my Florence page.

by danmarnc

I want to thank everyone for their responses and experiences. Dan

Travel Tips for Florence

Go inside the Uffizi and spend...

by syllybabe

Go inside the Uffizi and spend hours and hours looking at all the beautiful portraits and sculptures. Imagine a time when there were no photographs and you had to trust a very good artist to make a portrait for you...I could stand in front of one and stare at the fine details for quite awhile. By the time I got done looking at all the paintings and going through the museum, I was hungry and tired! That's me on the lower left sitting on the steps outside the museum.

Excursions from Florence - Siena and San G.

by Callavetta

San Gimignano and Siena both deserve a LOT more than a day, but if your trip through Tuscano is quick and you don't have time to stay at both places, the CAF tours excursion is definitely better than not going at all. This tour will give you an hour or so to visit San G., taste some wines, eat gelato, shop for pottery, or just walk through the old walled town and gaze at the views.

In the afternoon you will visit Siena and take a short guided tour with the leader. Then we had several hours to visit on our own. Siena has loads of charming shops and restaurants, as well as the famous piazza. Having already spent several days in Siena on a previous trip, we took the opportunity to visit one of our favorite restaurants ever, Fuori Porto, just outside the Porto Romano, and rekindle our friendship with Paolo the owner. A wonderful meal ensued.

The excursion was 49 euro and was a full day of fun.

Random Street Music and a Bottle of Vino!

by Lhenne1

Need something to do at night in Florence? Go outside and wander the downtown area (not alone, though). Every night of the week in piazzas around the city you can find live music ranging from Opera to Jazz, Rock Bands to Orchestras. Buy a bottle of wine and grab some plastic cups to share. You can enjoy your wine right there in the street and listen to the tunes.

Gluten and non gluten free heaven

by lizzie1715 about I Cavallaci Ristorante Pizzeria

In this restaurant we absolutely definitively had the best gluten free and non gluten free pizzas ever. I had found it on the Italian coeliac web page and it sounded terrific. We decided to go to dinner and as soon as it got dark, we set out to find it. We did not realise that even though Impruneta is relatively close to Florence distance wise, about 6 km ) it is actually in the mountains on the outskirts of Florence up a very winding one lane road, so that the journey there took about 30 minutes. We had Tomtom in the car. Without those directions I don't know if we would have found the restaurant. In hindsight, it probably would have been easier to catch a taxi. However, having got there, we were disappointed to find (we think, because our Italian is virtually non existant) that we were too early and that the restaurant did not open for another hour. We must have looked very disapointed because after initially turning us away, they felt sorry for us and fired up the wood stove earlier so that we could get our pizzas. I can't praise the quality and taste of the Pizzas enough. Especially good were the gluten free bases, and almost impossible to distinguish from the wheat bases. The servings were generous and their menu both GF and non GF was extensive.

Their website gives more details of the menu but it is in Italian only. Ring or email before going all the way for correct opening and closing times. I think they may be closed on Mondays, so it's best to check.

We will definately return there next time we are in Florence This restaurant is a must for all travellers who need to eat gluten free. Exceptionally good wood fired pizzas. I wish I had their recipe. They also serve GF risotto, Ravioli, Penne Spaghetti and other items that we could not understand. Desserts were also available

Comments