Via Guelfa 87, Florence, Tuscany, 50129, Italy
Expedia.com Hotels.com Venere.com

More about Hotel Il Bargellino

Like one of the family

by TripAdvisor Member rodemas

I've stayed at Il Bargellino on many occasions and every time I go, I feel like I'm going to my second home. I found it when I was studying in Florence 7 years ago and I was looking for a place for my parents to stay. I wandered the small streets near my school and I chanced upon Il Bargellino. Pino was outside chatting with the neighbors and I asked for help and after a jumbled conversation with my patchy Italian, hand gestures and many laughs, Pino invited me in and helped me book a room. My parents had an excellent stay and it was great to make new friends in foreign city.
Ever since then, Carmel and Pino are always overjoyed to have me, we sit on the terrace enjoying an amazing bottle of Italian wine, chatting about nothing and everything, and I feel completely at ease and relaxed in that oasis. I have tried my hand at other hotels in the city and have been bitterly disappointed. Hotels would fall short of their top notch service and quality claims. Give me Il Bargellino ANY DAY over those chain hotels. It is especially refreshing to be able to speak English with Carmel when the Italian proves too daunting but then when I feel a little more daring, I can practice my Italian with patient Pino. But best of all, after a long, sweaty, tiring day, I get back to Il Bargellino and there is dinner, wine, and good company waiting for me... and we always go to bed at a decent hour since we all have to wake up at the crack of dawn the next day. (and there is always siestas and espressos to help you along in the day!)
I absolutely adore Florence but beware! it can be very daunting to the unprepared tourist. The sights are breathtaking, the people friendly, the gelatto delicious, the art inspiring... but remember, it is a CITY. A very beautiful, quaint city, but a city nonetheless. And as in all cities, you will have noise, traffic, fumes, pickpockets, lost tourists, long queues, pushy peddlers, late-night revelers, etc. This is not to deter you in the least, but I find Florence a lot easier to tackle with that in mind. The wonderful thing about Florence is that if the noise and confusion gets too much, you have only walk 15-25 minutes in any direction and I promise you it WILL get quieter. There are so many wonderful nooks and crannies to discover in Florence! Florence has been around for centuries and Florentines are very proud about the fact. They do everything to preserve their city's history and charm. So no, you will not find a 'modern' hotel with all the lastest gadgets, king size beds, or state-of-the-art AC blaster. The buildings came first, the hotels were then fit into the already existing building... not the other way around; as in, the building was not erected specifically to be a hotel that met our 20th century needs.
Oh! and also know that Italians are jolly, well-meaning folk who love to eat, drink, talk, laugh, and spend time in comunion with others. That's what going to Italy is all about... the monuments will always be there, you can come back to them, you can see them in pictures... what really matters are the people you meet, the conversations that you have, the chance encounters that will shape your experience in that city/country. Afterall, it's the people that make up a country, not bricks and mortar. So please do not turn down the opportunity to get a taste of what the culture is really about.
All this to say, that I hold Florence very dear to my heart and mostly because of my times at Il Bargellino. Carmel and Pino are wonderful hosts, the hotel is clean, full of beautiful art, it runs smoothly, the terrace is perfect for kicking back and taking a break from the overwhelming sites, the rooms are a good size and the bathrooms are in great condition.
I always look forward to my yearly trip to Florence and Il Bargellino. It truly has become a second home to me.

Wow! What a GREAT place

by TripAdvisor Member smukka

I haven't ever written a review from the Hotel Bargellino, but recommended the hotel to one of my friends and he said that he saw a bad review of this fantastic place. I have read the review and was quite surprised, and quite honestly, annoyed by these peoples comments. I have stayed at the Il Bargellino at least 6 times over the years. I always stayed for 2 weeks and have found Carmel and Pino the best and most gracious hosts! They are so helpful, and because they live there at the hotel, they work their rear ends off helping people at all hours. It is a great family-oriented hotel and the terrace is great! They are professional and will provide you with everything you need, when you need it.

When I stay there, I always request a terrace room, and they always mention that sometimes, people will be out on the terrace talking or having a glass of wine or just hanging out and that it can be noisy. But nothing ever gets out of hand. I would take the noise (not that there was anything out of the ordinary) over staying in any other room. During the Spring months, I could open my doors to the terrace. It is like a paradise in the middle of Florence. Yes, they entertain, and the clients also entertain themselves on the terrace, but both Pino and Carmel are very careful to make sure that the volume goes down (music and voices) at at 10pm or 11pm. This is pretty much the norm. 10 is actually very early for Italy, as most people eat at 8 or 9pm. I have encountered clients who have said that they really need to have peace and quiet at an earlier hour for their children or because they need to leave the next morning at the crack of dawn, and Carmel and Pino make sure to keep things quiet.

One of the comments in the reviewer's mail was that it wasn't a great location. There couldn't be a better location! Florence is a small city and this hotel is walking distance from the bus station, train station and the center of the city. It's actually less congested than most areas and there are wonderful restaurants within feet of the hotel.

Florence is a town of "motorino" and any street side room can be noisy. The sound of these vehicles going by can't be avoided unless your staying at a huge hotel. I would much rather listen to the mixture of languages on the terrace.

Carmel and Pino are great. The hotel is great. When I stay there, I have only heard the most positive comments about the atmosphere and the service.

Everyone has their opinion, but every single guest at the hotel I have met has had rave reviews about the place. You must go and check it out and stay there..I will guarantee that you will more than happily surprised. I'll be there in July...I'm bringing my family for the 2nd time. Hope to see you there! You won't regret it.

Can't wait to visit again!!! Loved it!!!

by TripAdvisor Member nleo44

My friend and I stayed at Il Bargellino March 2-6th and had a wonderful experience! I have stayed in other places in Florence and none compared to this hotel. First the hotel was as clean as I would keep my own home, which was a great feeling. The terrace was great it was a nice place to sit early in the morning or at night before bed. The location was ideal it was close to all the tourist hot spots but on a nice residential street that made us feel like we lived in Florence and weren't visitng. The owner PIno was very helpful and made us feel right at home from the moment we walked in.
I was also a guest at the hotel for the nights anothe guest complained that the owners were being loud and had a party that lasted until the early morning. I couldn't disagree more with those comments. There was not a gathering that lasted into the early morning hours. There were people in the owners area having supper and enjoying family time, coming from an Italian family myself the family gathering reminded me of home and the time I spend with my family. I felt very comfortable because even though there was a slight language barrier I was still able to bond with them based on the importance of family.
I can't wait to go back to Florence and stay at Il Bargellino!
Thank you for a wonderful experience!!

Real Italian Experience

by TripAdvisor Member LosAngelesLosAngeles

I spent three nights at Il Bargellino at the end of February. A friend referred me to this hotel and it was exactly what they said it would be. The rooms are clean and the decor is charming, with an eclectic mix of antique furniture. The hotel was just minutes from the train station and a beautiful walk to the heart of the center, close to everything! The street is quiet and has a real neighborhood feel to it. I loved this! There's a large terrace (used by all the quests and the owners) and in my opinion, was the best part of Il Bargellino. I was able to relax with a bottle of wine and chat with other travelers, after a day of touring the city. The owners Carmel and Pino, were pleasant and always around to answer any questions, (and I had many). Carmel, is American, so there was no language barrier. She also booked all my museum reservations, which was a big help. They do not offer breakfast, but I found a great coffee bar at the end of the street. What I loved most, was the peaceful atmosphere at the hotel. There is a real Italian feel to it, which was exactly what I was looking for! I was also impressed with how quickly Carmel replied, when I email to check on availability. I have traveled all over Italy and found my experience in Florence at Il Bargellino, one of the best!

“Splendid Hotel”

by TripAdvisor Member cherier

“Splendid Hotel”

In May of 2006 My Husband and I the opportunity to visit the Hotel Il Bargellino located in central Florence Italy. It is within walking distance of many main attractions, i.e. Duomo, Piazza della Signoria, The Uffizi, The Ponte Vecchio, The Palazzo Pitti, restaurants, Internet cafes, shopping and many other attractions. It is a charming Hotel; has a beautiful piazza and it very safe to walk around at night .

Carmel and Pino are charming hosts, welcoming, informative and friendly. When my husband and I return to Florence we will defiantly be staying here.

As Italians say, Ciao Ciao!

The Ridenour’s

A great Find!

by TripAdvisor Member windyr

My wife and I followed Rick Steves recommendation and stayed four nights at Hotel Il Bargellino. The location perfect, close to everything including the train station. Now this is not the Ritz by any means but for 75 euros a night, you just can't get a better bang for the buck. The room was spartan but comfortable, allowing us to sleep well. This is all we really needed since we were out from morning to night. The owner, Carmel is a real goldmine of information. She speaks English perfectly and was always spot on with her recommendations. All in all a great find and when next I'm in Firenze,I'll have no hesitation in staying there again.

Very Enjoyable Stay at Il Bargellino

by TripAdvisor Member FrequentTravelerMA

My sister stayed at Il Bargellino a few years ago and recommended it to us when we were planning our trip to Italy.

Carmel was very helpful and responsive during the booking process and
offered help with making reservations at the museums.

The location of the hotel was great, we didn't need any transportation from the train station because it was within a short walking distance and it was very close to everything else, including the market and the Duomo.

The rooms were large and interestingly decorated. The bed was comfortable and the sounds from the street were not too loud. The shower in our room was tiny, really just a shower head separated from the toilet by a curtain, but I guess that's not unusual in Italy. The bathroom itself was clean, everything was in good working order, there was hot water and good water pressure. The were was no tv in the room itself, but that wasn't a problem for us as we spent most of our days walking outside.

Carmel was friendly and we had a very enjoyable stay.

Overall, it was a great choice for this price range.

A Gem!

by TripAdvisor Member Travelwizard420

This perfect little getaway starts with the warm reception of Carmel and Pino (Carmel is also extremely helpful in organizing your stay in Florence). This place is spectacular boasting a perfect location for the person who enjoys walking. Centrally located by the train station and within walking distance to a lot of the major attractions (make sure you get to the Uffizi). The accommodations are clean and well maintained with a beautiful sun deck off the back. Where if you are lucky, Pino will spend sometime and explain the culture of Florence while showing you his assortment of plants/trees (even lemon trees!). I would recommend this place to anyone who enjoys staying in a comfortable place; where the owners due there best to make you feel like you have been friends for years! It is the kind of place you will always want to go back to!

Cheers,
Chris

Loved Il Bargellino

by TripAdvisor Member QueenieArizona

My stay last May at the Hotel Il Bargellino in Florence Italy was delightful! The hotel is adorable and very quaint, and the owners are incredibly friendly and accommodating. The roof top patio was delightful, and a lovely spot to enjoy a glass of Italian wine. The hotel is centrally located and within walking distance of the train station and many restaurants and shops. I will definitely stay there the next time I'm in Florence.

Great Place

by TripAdvisor Member camaycho

Great place to get a real taste of Italy. Convenient location. Clean and spacious room. Roof terrace a nice extra bonus. Friendly Carmel and Pino make the place a home away from home. Great help with signts reservation. Highly recommended.

Comments