3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Venere.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Costs 96% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• jsfin's Profile Photo

Cute Boutique Hotel

Although I thought the street that the hotel was on was a little shady, the hotel was very cute and the staff was friendly. We had a queen size bed with a private bath and a view of the courtyard. After the second night, we woke up itchy, likely from bedbugs as we were fully clothed and managed to have bites in hard to reach places. Who knows, it could have been mosquitos from the daytime, but we are doubtful. Believe it or not, that wasn't enough for us to think the hotel was bad - we would probably stay there again or a little closer to the Duomo.

Unique Quality: It's kind of like a house on the inside - there is a living area and a big dining room. In the bedrooms, they change the bedding daily so you actually get new blankets instead of just clean sheets.

More about Hotel Monna Lisa

Nice hotel, w/ some problems though

by TripAdvisor Member advgal

We stayed in the Hotel Monna Lisa for 2 nights in July of 2005. I booked the rooms through Orbitz and paid $105 US. I made a mistake and stated that only one person would be staying in the room instead of two. There was no price difference on Orbitz for 1 or 2 guests. The hotel had a big problem with this though. We had to pay $30 euros more per night for my "other guest." We were given room 49B and it was an average small European room. The bathroom was the smallest ever. My knees touched the sink while using the restroom. We were awaken by a person with a chainsaw who continued on for hours. We slept in and missed breakfast because we were not given our wake up call. We were given a roll because of this error. After requesting a new room, we were given #52. It was considered a superior room and it was very nice and spacious. I did get to see a very nice suite (#1) and it was great-very roomy. The breakfast was very good-American style. There is a gym, solarium, nice garden, and internet connection located at the hotel. It would of been nice to be informed of this upon arrival. My main complaint was the service that we received from the male manager. When we voiced concerns to him, he spoke rudely to us and then ignored us completely. It was unacceptable. If you do stay at the hotel, don't miss talking to Nicola (bell boy). He is very kind and helpful in Florence.

Charming...but

by TripAdvisor Member Iluvtwins

We stayed at the Monna Lisa last week and booked the room through a tour company. I have to admit, that my husband and I were disappointed when the bell boy brought us to the room. It was literally the size of my closet at home. The bathroom was so small we couldn't both be in there at the same time. The bedspread was stained and the air conditioning did not work. This made me very clostrophobic. If we were staying more than 2 nights I would have demanded another room, but we were up early to go on a tour and did not get back to our room until late. I told the front desk the air was not working and they said they would fix it. When we returned to our room in the early evening, there was a stationary fan plugged in. I guess that is how they fix things. The front desk people were ok, giving us good recommendations for dinner. The breakfast was nice and the hotel itself was charming. I would probably not stay there again. If you are planning to stay there, I would recommend staying in the new wing. I am sure the rooms are a little bigger and have working air.

Quiet retreat in Florence

My wife and I stayed at the Monna Lisa for three nights at the end of June 2005. The Monna Lisa is a very charming hotel, a short walk from the Duomo and other major attractions in Florence. Our room, in the older part of the hotel (No. 10) was quite small, but the air conditioning did work and was very quiet. Other rooms in the older part are more deluxe -- some have fireplaces and beamed ceilings. The breakfast was great and served in a lovely dining room that opened onto a garden. We would stay here again, but for $320 per night we would do some comparison shopping as well.

Wonderful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member dandb

We spent two nights at this hotel. We received a very warm welcome from the reception staff on duty. We were given a fantastic room, which was at the rear of the hotel and overlooked the courtyard which was delightful. Our room was spacious enough, very tasefully decorated with a really comfortable bed and beautiful linen, a jacuzzi bath and a balcony. We couldn't have asked for better.

The public areas of the hotel were lovely - the breakfast room, quite the grandest we've ever eaten in. Breakfast choice was excellent. We loved this hotel and if we're ever in Florence again we would definitely return to the Monna Lisa.

Pricy, but very convenient and a very good staff!

by TripAdvisor Member tqj

This hotel is located minutes from the main tourist attractions. The Duomo, Bargello and Uffizi are located out the front door and to the right about a 10 minute walk. The Accademia is to the left, next corner, then to the left about 10 minutes. The rooms are comfortable, the staff is very service oriented and the breakfast was excellent. If you go in the middle of summer, ask ahead for a first floor room due to the heat. Our first room was on the second floor, and our air conditioner wasn't enough. However, we ask politely to move, and it was done immediately to a first floor room where it was much more comfortable. There is a very good restaurant, Accademi, out the front door and left about 50 yards. Very good value, very good food. Since we were celebrating our 25th anniversary, we wanted a nice hotel, so we got what we wanted-just had to pay more for it!

Monna Lisa like a dream

by TripAdvisor Member Love2travel18

Our family of 6 stayed at the Monna Lisa and loved it. We have four teens who enjoyed the breakfast and being able to walk to the attractions quickly. We had two rooms which were decorated so beautifully. The bathrooms were huge and my son learned not to pull the emergency cord.
The breakfasts were fabulous. We ate dinner at the Trattoria just down the street and had wonderful Italian fare. Our evenings included walking to the river and watching the street vendors, the human statues, eating delicious gellato and taking in the beautiful ambience of this city. We took a day trip to Sienna & San Giamagno in the chianti region. Another day we went to the beach then to Pisa for a fantastic lunch. This was my favorite place in Italy. PS. If you are "map challenged" find someone in your family with a sense of direction to get you around. I was happy to find my way out of the hotel let alone find my way on the streets. The hotel also had a complimentary computer for me to catchup on my emails.

Confirmed reservations not quaranteed

by TripAdvisor Member Travel_girlPortland

Beware of booking here. We arrived with guaranteed confirmed reservations to find out no rooms were available! This has never happened to us before and my husband and I have travelled extensively and lived abroad in Europe and Asia. Curiously, as we refused to leave the hotel the staff came up with a room! During our stay we witnessed 2 other people given the same treatment. When asked if this happens often the sheepish desk clerk nodded yes. We will never recommend this hotel to anyone based on this very unprofessional experience. Don't take your chances!

Lovely hotel

We loved this hotel! Great location, really nice hotel staff. We got some great restaurant recommendations (go to Boccanegra) and they were more than willing to make reservations for us for whatever we wanted. Breakfast was wonderful. The hotel itself is amazing; it's ancient but well kept. I can't say enough good things about this hotel.

Wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member TLynneP

Great location, lovely hotel. Staff is super nice and very helpful. I can not wait to return and we will stay at the Monna Lisa again. Large rooms clean good size bathrooms. Great breakfest too.

Comments