Hotel de la Ville

Costs 40% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Hotel de la Ville

You can do better

by TripAdvisor Member sasharoon

I stayed in the De La Ville in April of 2005 with my 73 year old Aunt.
I booked the hotel through my travel agent and honestly expected more.
First, the hotel is nice enough, although the lobby is a bit dated.
It looks as though it hasn't been upgraded since the '70's.
The breakfast room was very nice and there was a great selection of food.
The Breakfast room staff was very nice and offered good service.
We were told that we were upgraded when we got to the hotel. I can't imagine how small the rooms we were supposed to be in were because the ones we got were pretty small. There was just enough room around the bed to walk. The rooms also looked into a 10 foot wide alley.
The furnishings were very average. There was nothing redeeming about the rooms themselves.
However the bathroom was nice, not a bad size.
The rooms were clean and the bathroom amenities were nice.
My biggest probelm with the hotel was the service, or lack of service we recieved from the concierege's. I think the first probelm is that they are all around desk people who work alone and don't really have time.
however their attitude is that they really can't be bothered.
the worst experience I had was with one in particular.
On our last night I asked her to recommend a restaurant in the San Lorenzo area. She took my map out of my hand and drew a circle around several blocks and then wrote Zsa Zsa on the map.
She never gave me an address or offered to make a reservation.
I left the hotel with my aunt and set out to find the restaurant. We circled the area and The square and were never able to find the restaurant.
as i said before my Aunt is 73. And while she is in great shape, walking especially after a day of it was a chore.
We eventually found a restaurant but were disapointed. Since it was our last night we wanted to have dinner in a nice restaurant .
In general the desk staff really can't be bothered and they made it very clear.

Good location, great breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member geodali

The location, being close to most of the attractions of Florence, and the promise if a quite room attracted us to this hotel. On arrival both proved to be accurate. Within 5 minutest from the Duomo, next to the most exclusive, and very expensive, shops of Florence, and within 5 minutes from good restaurants. And in an area that was not very crowded or noisy either day or night. The room was OK, rather small for the price, but this is Europe and should not be expecting anything better. (see photo) The service, most of the time was quite courteous and efficient. Unfortunately one key person turned out to be rather cold in his dealings with customers, would have been better suited to an other occupation. But what was the best thing about this hotel was its breakfast; the variety and quality of food as well as the service were excellent.

Definitely a place for us to stay there again.

Excellent Hotel

Just back from a 6 night stay at Hotel de la Ville in Central Florence. We had a junior suite facing the street (Suite 301). Excellent size with pull out couch, and enormous bathroom. The ceilings are very high and lovely windows which are very well insulated to the noise of the street below. The other reports on this site about the breakfasts are true .... the were just excellent! The staff of the hotel were exceptional and nothing was too much for them at all. The did arrange for tickets to Uffizi gallery and this was at a premium, so be warned they do make money booking things for you. The cocktail hour in the hotel bar was a good deal with a selection of sandwiches and nuts to accompany your drink. The house Chianti is a very good choice. As for a tip on an excellent restaurant try Trattoria Magione on via della Spada 27r (turn right out of the hotel and walk down via Tournaboli until you get to via della Spada and then turn right again and it is about 50 metres on the left hand side). This is an excellent local restaurant packed all the time with local and tourists. The ribolita soup is excellent and are the steaks and pork chops served with excellent roasted vegatables. You will be coming back again and again!!
Overall Hotel de la Ville is a nice comfortable, service driven 4 -5 star hotel and is a great base from which to explore Florence. Ciao

Excellent Hotel -- Nice staff

by TripAdvisor Member TexasYokel

Stayed 3 nights. The hotel didn't have our reservation but we had our voucher from Central Holidays. Our two singles were upgraded to two adjacent doubles. The desk person was kind enough to call ahead and confirm that our Venice hotel did have our reservation. Everything was very plush. Breakfast was especially good with eggs and hot breakfast meats in addition to the very complete continental spread. Lots of cut fruits and other extras. It was served in a really pretty room with doting service. The public areas were especially fancy. The staff was very helpful with our requests for directions and such. The Cathedral and other downtown sights were a short walk. One for two on restaurant reservations. A restaurant called Trattoria Cava Mario was especially good, another recommended place pretty bad. Overall a wonderful experience.

hotel de la ville

another great 4 star hotel, centrally located, right near the duomo!! a great staff, a great bar!!every day from 6-7 and 10-11 p.m. 1/2 price drinks/complimentary snacks of high quality. a great service staff, very clean rooms, and great bartenders and wait staff!! get to know them well! carmine the bartender is a great local person, who put me on the right track for much of my stay!! he told me to take the No. 7 bus to fiesole( only 1 euro each way r/t) a great move and only a 20 min ride!!fabulous!!walking distance to the ponte vecchio also.!!very nice brakfast also(free)!rooms were small but clean and comfortable! a home run here!!

Great location!

De la Ville is well located; an easy walk to the station too. The happy hour is definitely fun. Carmine is a gracious, thoughtful bartender! The complimentary food makes a full supper unnecessary. There's a piazza about 3 blocks away where people gather for music in the evening. I was disappointed that one of the desk personnel told us to take a taxi to get to Fiesole. Fortunately I pursued this further and easily located the #7 bus at the station. The ride costs only 1 Euro! Fiesole is a great place to get away from crowds and enjoy an amazing view of Florence.

Great location, but some rooms are too small

We just returned from a trip to Florence where we stayed at the Hotel DeLaVille for 6 nights. My hysband and I got a superior room, and it was very spacious and nice. But my daughters got a regular room, and it was really really small. They had two single beds pushed together and there was almost no room to walk around. Bathrooms were nice in both, however.

The location of the De La Ville is just about perfect: close to everything, and on a great street. I suspect that one pays a premium for the great location.

Downside was the indifferent service from the front desk. They often acted like they could not be bothered with our requests. Also, breakfast was just ok, in my view. Really flimsy bacon and suspect eggs.

On our last night we had to stay at the Grand Hotel Minerva, because a convention was coming to DeLaVille. Minerva rooms were larger, breakfast was better, staff was nicer. It was a couple of blocks further from the action, but still close to the city center. Bottom line: DeLaVille is in great location but you can probably find a better place if you are willing to be further off the beaten path.

An honest opinion

by TripAdvisor Member CherylBerkshire

I'm just back from Florence and into the thick of work but the memories linger. This is a review of the Hotel de la Ville and Florence and is just plain honest - that's all I know. Reading the reviews before I departed for Florence - they were virtually spot on. Yes, the buffet breakfast was very good and the variety offered was extremely pleasant. The review about the bedrooms (double classic in our case) was true. The bedroom was long and narrow and from the hotel photo it did look narrow with hardly any room either side of the bed to get in. The small double bed was too stuck in an alcove, making you feel hemmed in. The bed itself could have been more comfortable, firm but not lumpy thank goodness and the air conditioning was gentle. The biggest drawback was the non existence of any personal coffee making facilities - that would have been a nice touch, but obviously not encouraged. The maid service was excellent and they even had a turn down, slippers by the bed and next day's weather forecast on a card on the bed waiting for you. Personally, this wasn't necessary for me - I like some privacy! The bathroom was adequate but not as vast as some earlier reviews had made out to be - not in the double room anyway. Quiet atmosphere as we were on the side of the building.

The bar and lounge area were very comfortable though drinks pricey. I had read about the helpful barman Carmine and he was very friendly and a pleasant and amusing character altogether - I wish him well with his English lessons. It was a pity that the front desk gentleman wasn't as helpful but instead gave the air of being a guest instead of someone providing service. The ladies on reception were friendlier and more helpful although I have to make one point here. On the afternoon we were due to leave for the airport, unbeknown to us there was a taxi strike and it was only through the other barman that we discovered this. We had told reception the previous afternoon that we would require a taxi and they must have known about the taxi strike even in the morning of the day we were leaving but failed to alert us to this and to make arrangements earlier. I know they have a lot of people through their hands every day but a little touch of remembering our needs and helping us more than they did would have gone a long way. Instead of leaving the hotel with a ciao. wave and a thanks, we left feeling let down and as if we were leaving some back street little pensione instead of a swanky hotel so shame on them for this. So, we found ourselves lugging two large suitcases and several bags two blocks to the main taxi rank. After some persuasion, one taxi driver agreed to take us to the airport. The reception at the hotel had failed to help us with this and to inform us of the strike. Luckily we had returned from shopping to the hotel early and only thanks to the barman did we discover our predicament. This is not what to expect from a luxury 4 star hotel. Smiles should go hand in hand with efficiency to make a perfect match. The decor pales when service is lacking.

Florence itself was hot and packed but thanks to prebooking our Uffizi tickets before we left we avoided the long, long queues. Please prebook - it's a must and easy - we used the Virtual Uffizi site.

Ladies - bring two or three pairs of thong sandals or any flat comfortable shoes. Even kitten heels in the heat our killers. If looking for a leather handbag; it took me 4 days to track down the perfect one for me and it was worth it. This particular shop was always closed when I passed by but on virtually our last day in Florence, it was open and I knew my bag was in there. It's a designer shop on a side street which leads to the Ponte Vecchio bridge and the jewellery shops on it. It's on the left hand side called Mandani. They design their own bags and the leather is wonderful, and a discount will be offered too I'm sure. The lady in there is very chic but friendly and helpful and you can take your time.

The shops around the De la Ville are the original Versace, Dior, Hermes etc wonderful but obviously the top end prices. All around are wonderful shops and restaurants nestled in this wonderland of Renaissance architecture. Do take a trip out to Sienna & San Giminano and the hotel will organise this for you for about 49 euros each. San Giminano is small but do try a wonderful bar/coffee/cake restaurant. I asked for a pistachio milkshake and they made it from pistachio iceream which was wonderful - I even bought the frappe mug which they served it in. The pastries and fruit sponges were gorgeous.

I'm a rare steak fan but if you are going to attempt the vast T bone bistecca, ask for it medium rare - believe me! Also, try their fish dishes; the sauces are wonderful. I mostly gave the pizzas and pastas a miss and went for different local dishes which are great if you find a family restaurant for locals. The Chianti Classico red wine was a bit powerful for us in the heat - try the rose instead. Iced tea was very refreshing.

I have to be honest and say that if I revisited Florence I wouldn't choose the De La Ville. I would choose a hotel with a garden and not such a business orientated hotel - too starchy. However, all in all I loved Florence as I had loved Rome a couple of years ago and now my mind is on the Italian Lakes.

Lastly, wasn't a bad flight on Meridiana the scheduled Italian airline.

I hope all this helps you to enjoy Florence but try and go in May or even early June or September - July has been more than a scorcher even at 11 at night.

CIAO or BFN

Cheryl

Berkshire

Beautiful hotel

by TripAdvisor Member shakergrandma

The Hotel De La Ville is one of my favorite hotels in Italy. The lobby was bright and beautiful, with Murano glass chandeliers. The rooms were mid-sized but very clean and nicely appointed. The breakfast the next morning was very good and the staff was very friendly. The location is wonderful, in the heart of the city. You can leave your car at the hotel and walk anywhere. I will absolutely be going back! Florence is fantastic.

Nice hotel, extremely rude staff

by TripAdvisor Member pinchiwoman

I stayed in the hotel this July. I think the hotel is very nice but the staff is tremendously rude. They do not bother about making your stay nice, do not expect smiles or any help from them.

Comments