Imperial Garden Hotel

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 30% more and rated 25% lower than other 4 star hotels

• geismom's Profile Photo

Montecatini Old Fashioned hotel

I really enjoyed staying in this hotel. The surroundings are quite beautiful. The views from our room were breathtaking. And, we could feel free to leave the windows open at night to breathe in the fresh, cooler air, and not worry about bugs!
    The bathroom story was curious, though. Although the bathroom featured very modern fixtures, there was a tub, with a shower attachment, but no shower curtain. We were forced to kneel in the tub in order to wash our hair, or get washed ourselves, or else, the water spewed everywhere!
    We did not receive a daily change of towels, either, which was a little annoying, when,on the first day, we didn't realize the shower issue, and we had used one of the towels to mop up the floor. Yuck!
    The breakfast was OK. It came with the room, but there was nothing exciting about it.
    The concierge was always helpful, and maps of the area were availalbe to us.

Unique Quality: There was a pool on the top floor, which had spectacular views. I didn't use the pool, but it looked inviting. Also, there were alot of chairs that one could sit on near the pool, and I noticed that there was also some sort of bar service as well.
    The elevator was extremely tiny, but there are central wide stairs for room access.
    The hotel was non-smoking, but there was a curious smoky odor in the room.
    One can easily walk to the center of town from this hotel. I do not know where you would park a car, however, as I never saw any parking lots.
    There is a lovely park only 2 blocks from the hotel, which is rather large, that has asphalt walkways through it for walking.

More about Florence

Le Cappelle Medicee - bar snacks and beerLe Cappelle Medicee - bar snacks and beer

Guess Who?Guess Who?

Florence - ItalyFlorence - Italy

the Pitti Palace from the Boboli Gardensthe Pitti Palace from the Boboli Gardens

Uffizi tickets

by FlywithHarry

Please verify that there are ticket agencies that you can buy tickets for Uffizi, a day in advance, in order to avoid queues and extra online fees.(I will be visiting on February).
Specific addresses would be useful, in order to locate them.

by Roadquill

I seem to recall that you had to book them earlier than a day before, but it is possible there are private ticket agencies that have arrangements. From Rick Steve's website "Several of the great galleries of Italy limit admissions and allow only visitors with reservations. A few years ago you could reserve your spot a day in advance, but now you need to book at least a month ahead of time to see the Uffizi Gallery in Florence" http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/italy/museumupdate.htm
We used the official website and not a ticket agency, so I can't be of help there. Karl

by Beausoleil

I would use the official Uffizi web site to book. We tried to book four days in advance and they were sold out (this was off season!). We ended up standing in line for 4 hours to get in without a reservation. It wasn't worth it. We were too tired to enjoy it and felt 4 hours were wasted.

Book well ahead of time and do it through their own web site. BTW, you will stand in line a while even with reservations but it's not bad. In February you may avoid any line, but I'd still book well ahead.

by RoscoeGregg

We purchased in advance through the official website and it was smooth sailing. As I remember it did cost a bit more. I would recommend advance purchase.

Enjoy the Botticelli room for me!!

Happy Trails,

Randy

by Tricky_Dicky69

We also used the official web-site which was easy. I don't think that you even have to pay when making the reservation. We ended up having to change our plans on the day and didn't actually get there but there was no charge.

Travel Tips for Florence

What to do in Florence on Monday or Holiday?

by aquatic

If you have limited time for your visit and one of the days is Monday or big holiday, don't loose it. Don't go away, don't spend it in your hotel room...
I spent in Florence 4 days and still did not see enough. But everything depends on you interests. One of my days in Florence fell on Easter day. One museum was open till 12 PM. After the museum visit I spent all afternoon walking around city center. I went ot see Easter Mass, then I had nice cup of coffee in a nearby local cafe. Then I tried some ice cream. Then some wine. Then I had my portrait drawn by local artist...
Enjoy restaurant visit or go for a walk and see the sundown on Piazzale Michelangelo square with a nice view of the Florence. Or visit Boboli Gardens. It's open every day.
Actually, some of the museum are open on Monday, just not every Monday. Check this:
http://www.italianwelcome.com/english/museums.asp Piazzale Michelangelo. Saw the city in evening sun... Unforgettable.

Clock of Palazzo Vecchio

by codrutz

I was impressed by the simplicity and yet marvel of the big clock on the tower of the Palazzo Vecchio. 12 roman numbers, divided by twelve crosses, short hour and minute arms, elegant as a modern swiss watch. I wish I could have seen the mechanism behind the clock, surely it is ingenious and it had its part of breakdowns, but so many hours passed trough that clock, I really am amazed seeing those old tower clocks.

The Old Synagogue

by seagoingJLW

Here I am standing in front of the old Synagogue that looks really Byzantine. What an interesting building! It was built in the 19th century in the Spanish Moresque style. Inside this Jewish Tempio is the Israelitic Temple Museum containing old manuscripts and ritual objects.

It is located at Via Stibbert, 26

Beautiful Custom Made Shoes

by ForestqueenNYC about Stefano Bemer Shoes

UPDATE 2006: When I was in Florence in the Spring I went to the above address and could not find the shop. There is some road construction being done on that street so it is possible he has moved at least temporarily to another location. I have written to him to find out his new address but have not heard from him. In the meantime, you could check out the other shoemaker whose shop is opposite the Church of Santo Spirito.

ORIGINAL POSTING:
Stefano Bemer's shoes are a work of art. Even though you may not be interested in having your shoes made (they cost well over $1500 a pair), you may want to pass by just to see what an Italian artisan can do with a piece of leather. The last time I was there, just for a look, he was making golf shoes for Japanese clientele.

Stefano is very nice. Custom made shoes. Minimum of $1900, according to another website.

Hidden treasure

by bpritts about Il Caminetto

This restaurant is just 1 block from the action (south of the Duomo piazza) and was exquisite. We had two elegant lunches which were among our favorite meals in Italy.
Prices are reasonable for the quality level. Service and decor were great. The pasta bolognese was out of this world. The sauce was flavorful and rich, but just enough.

Comments