Locanda Pitti

Locanda Pitti
Booking.com Priceline.com budgetplaces.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Florence

Spaghetti al pomodoroSpaghetti al pomodoro

David (the copy) in great lightDavid (the copy) in great light

Walking outside the tombsWalking outside the tombs

An amazing fountain in FlorenceAn amazing fountain in Florence

by KaraP

I have only now found this site and I wish I could read everything but I only have 24 hours before my plane so if anyone can hlep me with these questions I would be so greatful...

1) Are there any major sites I need to buy tickets for and if so is there a cheap or easy way to buy them?

2) I considered a day trip to Siena, are there specific bus places that I get on the bus at?

3) Are there any cheap but nice restaurants or cafes to eat at?

Thank you for your help in advance I have left this all a bit late!!

Re: Leaving for Florence on Tuesday I have a couple of questions... help would be great!

by Roadquill

Before you go you should get reservations for the Uffizi and the Accadamia. It costs a few bucks, but it will save you hours waiting line line. For a very good pizza place try bocanegra ( http://www.boccanegra.com/web/index.php ) There is sister restaurant next door, but it is a bit expensive. Karl

by leics

If you want to visit the Uffizi and the Accademia then booking online is a good idea.

The Duomo, belltower and Baptistery often have long queues: get there early or late.

Otherwise you should be ok.

The bus to Siena takes around 50 minutes. Timetables on this link:

Click on 'Linea Firenze Siena'. You get the ticket & bus from the Sita bus garage almost opposite SM Novella railway station.There is a tourist information office opposite SM Novella too, with free city maps.They'll tell you how to find the bus garage. Don't go by train: the Siena station is quite some way from the historical centre, and you'll need to take a bus or taxi.

You'll have no problem finding somewhere to eat, but avoid the busiest tourist areas (around the Duomo, the Uffizi and the Ponte Vecchio) where prices are higher.

I thoroughly enjoyed my meal at Trattoria Za'Za in Piazza dei Mercato Centrale (near the indoor market, and the market stalls around San Lorenzo). Have a look at the VT Florence pages for specific restaurant reviews.

Travel Tips for Florence

Internet Points

by Jmill42

One of the better internet companies I used along my trip was Internet Train. They have a few branches in Florence and the service is fast DSL. The computers were fairly good, as well.

You go in pay money which is credited to a card. You just swipe the card in a reader at the computer and when you are done you take the card with you, and you can come back and just sit down the next time, until the credit is used.

Computers have MSN Messenger and ICQ and every other chat I could think of.

All you need for your trip

by lina112

We went on July and it was very hot about 32 degrees, so all on our luggage was summer cloth, confortable shoes because you will walk a lot. If you go on winter well take all jumper, trousers, hats, etc is very very cold.

Viajamos en Julio en pleno verano y hacía mucha calor sobre 32 grados, así ke toda la ropa de verano que echamos a veces no era suficiente. Recomiendo los zapatos mas comodos que tengas porque te pasarás el día andando. Si viajas en invierno preparate a ir forrada de ropa, hace mucho frio. Your digital camera with a good memory stick or normal cameral with lots of films, because you will take a lots of photos believe me. I took more than 200 photos and made 2 videos.

Tu cámara digital con su correspondiente tarjeta o la cámara normal y muchos carretes porque harás mogollón de fotos. Yo hice mas de 200 fotos y un par de videos.

Learn to Bargain

by SJTravel about San Lorenzo Market

San Lorenzo Market is a fun market filled with all sorts of goods. It is a good place to buy souvenirs. They have plent of tshirts, hats, jewelry, and other souvenir-type things. One thing I did notice is that there were some vendors who were selling Venitian/Murano Glass jewelry in bulk, 3 pieces for 10 euros. The quality of some of those pieces were not as great as what you would get in Venice. If you are going to Venice, I would get it in Venice. Some of the other sellers who were not selling in bulk had better quality Venitian jewelry and it was resonably priced. It may not be as great a deal or the variety that you would get in Venice, but if you are not going to Venice then the stuff in Florence isn't a bad deal. My recommendation would be the leather and the Italy/Florence paraphernalia. Florence is known for its leather. And the San Lorenzo market is a good place to buy your leather goods. The vendors have excellent prices on their goods and some of the stuff is of excellent quality. There is a woman who sells close to the church there. I am unsure of her name, but her stuff is excellent quality and she has great prices. My friend bought a couple purses from her and a wallet for a great deal. The reason that my friend went to her was because she saw some Italians and some other locals going to her to get their leather. And my friend figured that she was pretty reliable. Many vendors sell similar things to each other, so they will gladly bargain with you. If you are buying more than one of something, you will most likely be able to talk down the individual price of each as well.

Around florence in two hours!

by abi_maha

Please check the direction that the bus is headed in before boarding the bus, otherwise you will be taken on an arduous journey around Florence sometimes even outside florence! It pays to ask the driver before boarding!

Perfect for Pasta and Prosecco!

by SFHulaGIrl about Trattoria Da Guido

Whenever I'm in Florence, I head directly to this restaurant. A rather small, frequented by both locals and tourists alike. Relatively prompt service. Everything is good -- pasta, veal, chicken, etc.

Comments