Florence Hotels

Our Members Say

• rsilva profile photo rsilva
  • Reviews: 306

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Albergo San Lorenzo: Great budget hotel, but remember to travel light.

This small hotel is located just 300 meters from the train station (SM Novella) and just a few minutes walk from the main attractions like the "Duomo" or even “ponte vecchio”.

It is family owned, so the service is friendly. The rooms are very basic, and forget about nice things such as shower gel, etc., you get a small bar of soap and probably the worst shampoo I have ever had to use in my life. But don't give up hope, there is a supermarket just around the corner (when you get out of the Hotel, turn right and then right again and it is on the end of that street on the left-hand side).

Breakfast was included but also very basic, but once again service was very nice and friendly and if we ran out of juice or bread/croissant (please, don't even think that they are real croissants, I'm talking about miniature size, plastic wrapped ones) we would get more immediately.

There is one potential problem: it is on the third floor and the stairs seem endless. So make sure you travel light or have someone really strong with you.

We paid 55 Eur per night, which was excellent taking into account the season and the fact it is Florence. Every time we passed be the reception, there was someone calling or showing up asking for a room and it was fully booked, so plan in advance.

I would definitely stay there again

Location, price.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written March 6, 2005

The corridor

• Beausoleil profile photo Beausoleil
  • Reviews: 717

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Podere Albereto in San Polo in Chianti: A Tuscan Podere near Florence - Agriturismo

For more pictures, please see my San Polo page and travelogue. You could spend a week right in this lovely valley.

We decided to rent an apartment on a farm (podere) in the nearby Chianti wine country. We discovered we could park our car in Grassina and take the bus into Florence. It worked out beautifully. Farm apartments are usually one week rentals but many are negotiable. We opted for an entire week . . . and could have stayed forever.

We took the bus into Florence three times during our week and spent the other days touring the Chianti area. Our hosts spent one day teaching us how to paint frescoes and that was a highlight of our trip. They were gracious and very talented.

[We've visited since that first trip and they have made several improvements. It is just the perfect place to stay to enjoy the Tuscan countryside, Florence and the Chianti Valley. Highly recommended.]

There are two lovely apartments, one larger, ours with one bedroom, living room, kitchen and bath. These are new apartments in a completely restored stone barn, so everything was in beautiful shape. We were greeted with a bottle of wine and later given their own olive oil and fresh eggs from their chickens.

There is a swimming pool and a large barbecue area with covered picnic area. We also had our very own outdoor eating area by the front door. The door opened to a marvelous view of the Chianti Valley and the 1000 olive trees on the farm.

It was spotless, charming and well located. I can't say enough good things about it . . . just fabulous.

(+39) 055 68 49 56 may be their mobile number if the numbers below are busy.

• Related to: Family Travel, Road Trip, Farm Stay
  • Written April 16, 2005

Podere Albereto

• Jmill42 profile photo Jmill42
  • Reviews: 1072

San Lorenzo Apartments: Upscale Apartments Near the Duomo

Once again, having a friend getting married in Florence and being invited to stay with him and his family is really nice. They stayed at the San Lorenzo apartments. We rented every apartment they had here and others were scattered across the city. I can say that this might be the absolute perfect place to stay in Florence, in that it is 50 feet from the Duomo and 50 feet from San Lorenzo. Also close by, is the Mercato Centrale. Easily within 10 minutes walk, you have Sant Maria Novella, Ponte Vecchio and the Uffizi; i.e. everything you need.

This place offers several apartments, ranging from 2 person to 8 person places.

Amenities:

Heating, air conditioning, satellite TV, fridge & freezer, microwave oven, washing-machine, dishwasher, toaster, CD player, iron, american coffe maker, linens, blankets and towels, small roof top terrace.

The Turchi Apartment is the one we stayed in. It has room for 8: 3 kings and 2 twins. There is also a couch, but they don't allow anyone to sleep there.

Weekly Price:1250 EURO (6 people)

Weekly Price:1500 EURO (8 people)

Daily Price: 240 EURO (6 people)

Daily Price: 300 EURO (8 people)

• Written March 25, 2004

Inside the Turchi

• vivalasteph profile photo vivalasteph
  • Reviews: 196

Via San Niccolo apartment: Live like the locals

Renting an apartment in the Oltr'arno area made the Florence experience so much better. It was in an ancient building next to the medieval city walls, with an original wood beamed-ceiling, tiled bathroom and charming wood furniture. When the owner opened up the back window to show us the view of the hillside leading up to San Miniato, the tears welled up in my eyes.

Lots of space, quiet atmosphere, complete kitchen facilities, and washing machine.

It's one block from the Arno, and a five minute walk to the Ponte Vecchio.

• Related to: Architecture, Museum Visits, Arts and Culture
  • Written September 17, 2003

terracotta view

• lynnehamman profile photo lynnehamman
  • Reviews: 412

Hotel Donatello: Great location- Excellent Value

Our stay here was very comfortable. We spent 4 nights and cost was 75Euros per night.
Our check in was seamless and quick, and the staff are exceptionally helpful. Decor is slightly art deco, but quaint. Our room was on the smallish side, but it had a large window which overlooked a lovely sunny tree filled cobbled courtyard where breakfast was served. Breakfasts were excellent, with a wide choice from the buffet.
There is a lift which was handy.
The bed was a good size, with spotless bedding.It was VERY hot in Florence when we visited, so the air-con was a blessing....
Bathroom- smallish but clean and adequate for our needs.
We could walk to most places, including the station SMN
The hotel faces a park, which was lovely to walk through. We spent time there sitting on a bench under the trees, watching the antics of the locals. The pigeons were especially amusing.
In this area there are also many good coffee shops and restuarants ( facing the park)
The reception desk is staffed by very helpful people......we had a problem with our onward hotel booking in Rome, and I had been trying to sort it out by phone..........the language was a problem. The gentleman at the desk offered to sort it out for me, and in Italian, sorted it out for me pronto. I was very grateful.
For me, its the small helpful things that make a hotel stay pleasant. I am not over fussed by smallish rooms and fancy decor. This hotel was good value, and I would recommend it with confidence.

There is restriced parking area outside hotel, but is a taxi is needed, they can park very close to entrance.
We booked this hotel at Venere.com

The friendly, helpful staff- nothing was too much trouble for them
The area- lovely park & surroundings
Loved the courtyard where one could sit and have a drink and relax after pounding the pavements of Florence
Art-Deco furbishing

• Related to: Museum Visits, Historical Travel, Arts and Culture
  • Written February 28, 2013
Tip Photo

• kenyneo profile photo kenyneo
  • Reviews: 750

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Florentina Hotel: Florentina or Florentino ???

( Rating from 1-10 )

Location - 8
Food - 5
Condition - 3 ( because there are lots of mosquitoes, at the last night ran out of plug in mosquito repellant )
Bed - 7
Staff - 6

The hostel is at 2nd floor, and the entrance hall to the lift looks like it has borrowed some furnitures and fixtures from Adam's family .

• Related to: Backpacking, Road Trip
  • Written October 14, 2004

The lift ....

• mariocibelli profile photo mariocibelli
  • Reviews: 351

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Your Agency in Florence: Need a short term apartment in FLorence?

YAIF does short and medium term apartment and villa rentals in and around Florence. Often times it is less expensive to rent a flat then stay in one of our over-priced hotels.

When you make an enquiry, please make sure you include:

You exact budget - make sure it is a little less than your max you want to spend, in addition always ask that the amount you want to spend is for everything:

Rent, Utilities, Commission, Cleaning etc.

That way there are no surprises when it is time to pay.

Their website is www.yaif.it

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Study Abroad, Budget Travel, Business Travel
  • Written December 25, 2003

• mariocibelli profile photo mariocibelli
  • Reviews: 351

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

FlorenceRooms.net: Private Room Rentals in Florence

Looking for short, medium, long-term room retnals ? Check out FlorenceRooms.net . Great way to book something before you come to Italy. Nice to have a base and then later on see if you find something else (either less expensive or more amenities etc... )

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Work Abroad, Study Abroad, Budget Travel
  • Written December 26, 2003

• leics profile photo leics
  • Reviews: 2575

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Angelica: Clean, comfortable, central...

In some ways this is more of a bed & breakfast than a hotel but its cleanliness, its position and its owners make it an excellent place to stay.

Hotel Angelica is on the third floor of a solid 19th/early 20th century apartment building very near to Santa Maria Novella station (thus brilliant for exploring the city on foot and for making daytrips to surrounding places by train or bus). There's an efficient, if small, life which will effortlessly take you and your bags up to the hotel.

Rooms are sparklingly clean, with TV and air con, and perfectly comfortable (although if you are a very large person you might find the shower cubicles a bit of a squeeze). The walls are thick and this, combined with the external and internal shutters, plus double-glazing, means external sounds are minimised. the street itself is fairly quiet after the working day, with little traffic noise.

Breakfast is fine, with a choice of meats, cheese, breads, pastries, cereal, fresh orange juice, coffee, tea etc.

There is a computer with internet access available at certain times, and various cards are accepted (Visa, Mastercard etc).

The Italian owners ran a b&b in London for many years, so have good English. They are pleasant and very helpful; ideal for first-time visitors.

Best of all, imo, is the fact that entrance to the building is only by buzzer after the working day....and the hotel completely closes at 1am. So that made it feel very safe indeed, although it might not suit people who want to stay out late.

The rates (I booked through www.booking.com) are very reasonable for Florence, which is an expensive city for accommodation. The certainty of getting clean accommodation in a central position makes this place well worth consideration.

Not somewhere to stay with small children, I think...although there are a couple of armchairs in the breakfast room there isn't a great deal of space to play and rooms are quite small. But for adults who want to spend most of their time exploring, and just use the hotel as a place to sleep, it is ideal.

Directions:

Turn left as you exit the railway station (facing the church of Santa Maria Novella). Cross the road (cross the bus station/taxi lanes first) then turn right along Piazza della Stazione, first left up Via Nazionale and then first left up Via Fiume. Hotel building is on the left.

• Related to: Singles, Women's Travel, Seniors
  • Written April 23, 2011

Hotel building

• ethereal profile photo ethereal
  • Reviews: 29

Ostello Villa Camerata-Camping: If you're in need of a bed-CAMP

It's both the HI hostel and a camp groud, for those travellers that forgot to book their beds early and are stuck in Florence without a bed. You're provided a tent with ELECTRICITY, beds and sheets, and you're still more than welcome to use the hostel which is two minutes from your tent. So you don't have to use the outside showers, you can go inside and use them, breakfast and dinner is also available and all the other luxuries the hostel offers. For an amazing price of I think , 11 Euros

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written December 30, 2002

• Bigs profile photo Bigs
  • Reviews: 1670

Villa Baccano, Fiesole: Villa Baccano, Fiesole

We payed 60.000 Lire per person/night!No breakfast included!

It´s a tiny hotel, with only 9 rooms. It´s simple, but the bed was really comfortable. From our window we had a nice view over the countryside and a little bit of Firenze. The lady that owns the hotel doesn´t speak English, so you better prepare yourself!

• Opinion of Price:
  • Written November 14, 2002
Tip Photo

• rita_simoes profile photo rita_simoes
  • Reviews: 95

163 Fanti: Rent a Room

Florence is a very expensive place, and we're young people with not so much money in our pockets, so, we called a friend of my boyfriend's sister, a roman girl who moved to Florence somo years ago, and asked her if she knew any clean and cheap places where we could stay for a night.

She recomended us 163 Fanti - the owner is her friend, and she used his rooms a lot of times when she was moving to Florence and was still searching for a house.

The rooms had been recently renovated, and the appartment was spectacular - it has 3 rooms, two bathrooms and a kitchen, but we were the only guests so we had the appartment all for ourselves. (the pic I found o nthe internet, which I'm posting here, is before the renovation, I think)

The rooms are average sized, but I enjoyed a lot the simple, charming decoration and bright colours; all the appartment was extremely clean (even though the renovation works were not yet finished in the garden), and in the kitchen we had everyhting we needed for breakfast, and even some pasta and sauce if we wanted to cook something.

The owners were very nice and gave us maps of the city and valuable tips, and even came to pick us up in their car when we lost ourselves on the way there.

The only drawback is that it is a little far from centre - you have to catch a bus - but on the other hand, it is in front of Florentina stadium, so it may be good for football lovers like me and my boyfriend - luckily, we were there on a sunday and there was a Fiorentina game, so the streets were full of happy supporters in their violet equipments :)

I recomend this place vividly and I will surely return on my next visit to Florence.

(in August 2007, we paid 60€ for a double room, with kitchen use)

• Written April 13, 2008

from the website

• croisbeauty profile photo croisbeauty
  • Reviews: 7392

Balestri: perfect location

As usually on my Italian tours I am not booking a hotels in advance, for a very simple and practicale reason, I never know where shall I spend the night. This time I was travelling to Florence with my wife and she was in panic wheter shall we find an available accomodation. I was driving along the Arno, passing by Ponte Vecchio when my wife noticed this hotel so we stopped and tried our chances. We were lucky to get a free room but not one of those which overlooking the river.

• Written November 6, 2012

Hotel Balestri

• zuriga profile photo zuriga
  • Reviews: 466

La Saracena: FANTASTIC B&B

Most of this page is about Tuscany, the beautiful region south of Florence. La Saracena is a beautiful, small hotel run by two Americans. Each room is beautiful and one can use this place for easy day trips around the area.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Historical Travel, Luxury Travel, Arts and Culture
  • Written September 12, 2002

La Saracena

• snmred profile photo snmred
  • Reviews: 76

There are many fine hotels in...

There are many fine hotels in town. Don't be scammed into paying a huge price for a one or two star place, it happens if you book directly through the hotel. Also, if you take the train into Florence there are always several people there advertising their hotels and offering a 'steal' for a last minute booking. Be careful. Some of these places are not near the center or are not legally run hotels but more like a boarding house that is not up to standard and I have heard that they are not too nice to stay in. And, unless you absolutely have to, try not to use a visitor center to book you a hotel, they charge a fee on top of your room rate. Use a booking service online, they usually give a fair price. I reccomend www.itwg.com
Look carefully over hotel information, if you mind sharing ammenities as in a bathroom, look for that because many hotels in town have that option for less money. Most places are very clean and well run so don't worry too much about that. I have met several very friendly people through hotels that I stayed at when I first arrived in town. Some budget places to try are, Hotel Sampaoli on via San Gallo, or Concordia on via dell Amorino. Both were very friendly and helpful. Rates for a single were around $45 a night. I also stayed at Hotel Lombardia which was quite nice. Fairly inexpensive too but can be a little noisy unless you get a room off the street.
Off season-November through February the average one star will be $40-$60. In the height of the good season it goes up to $60-$90 unless you do your research. A good deal can be found. Make sure that if you book online you print out a copy of your confirmation with the prices on it because some will try to slide a few more bucks in there.

If you are going to stay in a hostel, book before if they take reservations, hostels fill up quick. Also, most of the cities hostels are not centrally located so take that into consideration as well. Also

• Written September 12, 2002