Michelangelo

Uffizi Tribuna - todayUffizi Tribuna - today

Street scene on Ponte VecchioStreet scene on Ponte Vecchio

Florence - boat trips?

by pocockk

Hi all, I am going to Florence in August and I was wondering - does anyone know of any good tour providers? Also is there any boat / river trips as I have not been able to find any details of any on the net?
Thanksxx

by qaminari

There is a weir on the Arno not far below the Ponte Vecchio! So no, there are no boat trips in Florence, although I believe it is possible in/near Pisa.

by pocockk

Ooooh I see - well done for avoiding a possible tradegy there! At least I didnt pose a stupid question on the forum for the WHOLE WORLD to see! Now that would be foolish!
Thanks xx

by sweetheartofs

FLORENCE IS A SMALL PLACE YOU CAN LITERALLY WALK IT. THE TAXI IS CHEAP- LESS THAN <US$10 EVERY RIDE. AND YES THERE IS NO RIVER TO DO BOAT RIDES. THAT WOULD BE IN VENICE. HAVE FUN. 4-8 HOURS IS ENOUGH TO SEE FLORENCE DEPENDING WHETHER YOU WALK OR RIDE.

by Kathrin_E

4-8 hours is enough to see Florence?????? Oh my.

I spent 4 months there and still haven't seen everything.

by leics

Well, you could 'see' most of the central part of it in 4-8 hours I suppose. But that would be all. Not a lot of point in doing that, imo.

No boats on the river, but there are coypu....see if you can spot them! :-)

by christine.j

Last year I did a tour from Florence to Siena with a company called artviva. It was excellent! While I was waiting for the other passengers, a walking tour of Florence started, just two tourists and the tour guide. That's what I call a very individual tour!
The Tuscan hill tour was expensive, but worth every cent. From this experience I would recommend this company.

by pocockk

Thankd for that - I had been thinking about the river arno!

by pocockk

I would love to go for more than a couple of weeks! I bet its lovely spending proper tiem there! What has been your favourite thing so far? I bet you can give me a good recomendation!

by pocockk

Lots of people have mentioned the Coypu! I will crtainly be looking for them - especially as I never even heard of them before!
Thanks for your help

by pocockk

Thanks v much! I shall have a look at that website. Its so helpful to get tips and things - thanks
Katy

Travel Tips for Florence

Go to the Ponte Vecchio.

by seagoingJLW

Go to the Ponte Vecchio. What shops!!!

this is the oldest bridge across the Arno. It dates back to Roman times. After the flooding of 1333, it was reconstructed with rows of shops. In 1565 the east facing Vasariano Corridor above the shops was built. the back-shops were added in the 17th century.

Castello del Trebbio

by sirgaw

Magnificent castle set in the romantic Chianti region about 20 kilometres from Florence, it is home to both a winery and olive grove and commenced operation in 1184 by the Pazzi family.

Now-a-days the estate produces its own wine and olive oil and both can be sampled and purchased from the cellar door. Accommodation is available on the estate, there are cooking classes, Italian language and cultural classes as well as restaurant with magnificent views over-looking the Tuscan hills.

The estate is on a regular coach half day trip through www.caftours.com in Florence - cost 40 Euro per person.

Bargain hunting in Florence

by acemj about Various

I was on a mission. I was looking for a leather jacket and I didn't want to spend too much. My advice to you would be to avoid the fashionable streets around the Duomo. The prices are bound to be much higher in these shops. Your best bet is to head over the the area around Piazza del Santa Croce or the area around San Lorenzo. I bought a beautiful leather jacket for about $250 (it would cost more than $500-$800 in the States).

Getting to The Mall in Sita Bus

by lina112

To going to The Mall you have to go to sita bus station, situated in Via Santa Catalina de Siena next to the train station and take the bus to Leccio and leave it in the stop called The Mall. There are 3 buses per day so recomended it take the one at 9 am to goint out and the one at 12.45 to going back to Florence. It takes about 1 hour and best thing to do is take a seat in the window and enjoy the sights that Tuscany offers. The ticket cost 3.10 per trip and you have to buy the tickets (going out and back) in the information officce inside the station and the platform to the bus is 10 or 11, not remember well.

Para ir a The Mall tienes que ir a la estación de sita bus que está junto a la estación de tren y coger el autobus que va a Leccio y que te deja justo en el centro comercial. Hay solo 3 autobuses al día así que es mejor coger el que sale a las 9 de la mañana y que regresa a Florencia a las 12.45. Se tarda 1 hora en llegar, recomiendo coger asiento junto a la ventana para poder disfrutar de las vistas que ofrece la toscana que son una pasada. El billete cuesta 3.10 euros por viaje y se compra en la ventanilla de información de la estación de autobuses, el andén donde cogimos el autobus era el num 10 u 11 no recuerdo bién.

A nice small restaurant

by Marpessa about ?

I cannot for the life of me remember the name of this restaurant! I took the photo and I guess I thought I would be able to see the restaurants name in the photo - but I can't make anything out from it.

The restaurant itself is small and cosy, it seemed a bit posh and prices were a little on the expensive side. I ended up having veal in a lemon sauce, after filling up on the complementary bread. It was very nice, even though I rarely eat veal, I was looking for a change from eating pizza and panini. The lemon sauce on the veal was very nice, not too strong, it was delicious.

I think this restaurant would possibly be a nice place to come for a romantic dinner, it really did have a cosy and almost intimate atmosphere.

Comments