Via Garibaldi, 14, Florence, Tuscany, 50123, Italy

Costs 34% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Montebello Splendid

Almost Flawless!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Moncleezy

Just got back from a trip to Italy with my girlfriend, I have been twice before, but this was her first trip to Florence. I was VERY impressed with the hotel, not only was the room beautiful and spacious, but the staff of the hotel were without peer. They were extremely helpful in making restaurant reservations and when our luggage got delayed on the flight over they took over tracking it down for us and speedily resolved the matter. The breakfast is better than most in European hotels, the Montebello Spledid is really comparable to an American four-star, with excellent staff and large comfortable and modern rooms. It is also located very close to the Arno, and since Florence is such a small city you can be just about anywhere within a 15-25 minute walk. The only small issue that we had was that the air conditioning could have been a touch cooler, we kept it on "full" at all times and would have preferred it to be more powerful. However I acknowledge that I like to sleep in a room much cooler than most people, so this would most likely be a non-issue for most travelers. I have already recommended the Montebello Splendid to several people and will definitely be returning there on our next trip to Florence.

Classy Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member jhmvis

Very nice 5 star hotel...and priced accordingly. Outstanding rooms...well amenitized with flat screen comboTV/computer was a nice touch. A bit of a walk in a city where you're going to do a lot of walking anyway...be prepared for a few extra blocks, but nothing outrageous. Very nice restaurant and bar, but we didn't eat there because it was by far the most expensive and we had many other options. Staff was efficient, but not necessarily cordial/helpful. Good place if you want outside of the historical core with first class amenities, but we found the less expensive, better located hotel we stayed at in Florence a much more pleasurable "experience".

Beautiful Hotel, Nice Staff- no pool :(

by TripAdvisor Member AmazonStar

I stayed for 4 nights in this lovely hotel. I stayed for business, so I did not pay for it. If I did, I am sure I would have been more picky, as it is high priced. [well, it is 5-star] The restaurant is expensive. It has a breakfast buffet for $25 Euro every day. Delicious, but I ate all over the city and had better or equal for cheaper. The staff is very friendly, most speak at least some English, and the service is good. The area of the hotel is a few blocks from all the action, so you have some quiet, but you are within walking distance of all the things you want to see. [if you have good strong legs and comfy walking shoes!] I had a great time! But, like I said, it was free! If you can afford 5-star and don't mind that there is no swimming pool, then this is your place!

Montebello: Very Splendid Indeed

by TripAdvisor Member wjh

The staff was efficient, courteous, and prompt. Check-in and check-out were over so quickly, you thought you missed something. The room was large, clean, comfortable, with beautiful hardwood floors. Modern amenities. Large marble bathroom, with great water jets in the bath tub. The room had a nice balcony. This place would score big in the states. And the rate was reasonable. All in all, a fine experience.

Beautiful, but never AGAIN!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member NYCbusinesstraveler

I was there on business, but so excited to visit based on the reviews here and the photos on Expedia. The hotel was beautiful, but had other MAJOR flaws. I asked for a wake-up call for my early train to Milan and subsequent flight from Milan to London, that never came. There are no alarm clocks in the room so you have to put your trust in the front desk staff if you don't travel with an alarm clock. I ended paying $200 to change my flight and ended up staying overnight in Paris to connect to London the next morning. The front desk was unapolegetic about the mishap and charged me for the coffee they gave me while I waited for the front desk to scramble to find a new flight (there was no manager on duty at 10am????). Additionally, I noticed in paris that my prescription pills were missing from my carry-on bag (and were there in florence). I've never in 10 years experience, and 3 months on the road a year, had this happen. I noticed when I went to my room after the mishap that the cleaning people had been in the room, but I never would've guessed they were there looting my belongings. So as much as I would love to stay at the hotel again, I would NEVER based on my experience.

Bust of Benvenuto Cellini, Firenze (Florence)Bust of Benvenuto Cellini, Firenze (Florence)

Palazzo Vecchio: Facade with CorbelsPalazzo Vecchio: Facade with Corbels

Giotto’s CampanileGiotto’s Campanile

Wonderful bedroom window-views of the Arno/centreWonderful bedroom window-views of the Arno/centre

Foto in Uffizi gallery

by Barkay

Rules in different museums differ.
Is it possible to take pictures in Uffizi gallery (without flash and tripod, of course), or it is prohibited?
And in Accademia?
In Bargello and Museo dell'opera del Duomo I had no problems with camera 2 years ago.
Yhank you.

by von.otter

In the Accademia the taking of photos, especially of The David, is strictly prohibited.

In Galleria Uffizi I remember taking photos of the building interior (beautiful marble floors and windows) but not the art work.

Yes, the Bargello and Museo dell'Opera del Duomo allow photos. This was the case in Dec. 2004/Jan 2005.

by Redang

It is, or at least it was, forbidden (Sep. '07).

by Trekki

Oh my, it seems I was lucky centuries ago when it was allowed. This was in 1989 and I took photos of several paintings, including Venus.

by Beausoleil

No photos in the Uffizi. We've found more and more museums are not allowing photos. I think it may be a form of crowd control. Sad . . . but it's good that museums have a crowd control problem. That means people appreciate them. 8^)

by Redang

I think I know the reason (more or less): Flashes were forbidden whilst taking pics without them was OK, however, many many times people took pics with flaseh either because they didn't know it or flash "comes out" automatically, so, they forbid pics at all.

by Redang

BTW, that was the reasom they gave me some time ago in San Lorenzo de El Escorial (Spain), so, I think that rule is spreading.

by von.otter

Although crowd control and damage to paintings from flash are genuine reasons why art museums prohibit photo taking, allow me to offer another possible explanation why museums do not allow photo taking: MONEY. There is a fear that a photographer will profit from sales of photographs of famous and not-so-famous photos in the museum's collection.

Cultural institutions around the world are facing tighter budget concerns; every one of them has a gift shop where postcards, posters, coffee mugs, etc. carrying images from the art in their collections. In an attempt to minimize loss of revenue a blanket prohibition is issued about photo taking.

by Beausoleil

True van otter. I know the Vatican doesn't allow photos in the Sistine Chapel because Sony paid for the restoration in exchange for photo rights. That means no one but Sony can take pictures in the Sistine Chapel. It seems a fair tradeoff. That was one expensive renovation and it looks spectacular. I'd love to go in by myself once just to see the Chapel in silence . . . but that will never happen. 8^)

Comments