Ostello del Chianti

Via Roma 137, Tavarnelle Val di Pesa, Florence, 50028, Italy
Ostello del Chianti
HostelBookers.com Hostelworld.com

More about Florence

Interior of the Dome.Interior of the Dome.

DuomoDuomo

viale dei cipressiviale dei cipressi

Dad happy about his gelatoDad happy about his gelato

Como or Venice from Florence?

Hi all,
I'm in FLORENCE WOOHOOO!!! Thanks to all your input and help on getting here :-)Please help with the decision of choosing Como or Venice as we only have time for one day trip that far.
I'm staying in this amasing villa just outside of florence http://www.poggioaimerli.com/english/index.htm
Service is impecable,the setting and location can't be beaten!

by bazsi79

It's a hard question... both places are wonderful! :)

If you're more into nature and a mountain setting, you should definitely visit Lake Como. If you prefer walking around in a town with nice buildings, then go for Venice.

You should also consider what type of transportation you will take. If you have to take the train, Venice is much easier and faster to get to from Florence, as there are direct trains there. If you go to Como by train, you have to change in Milan, and transfer between two different stations there.

If you go by car, then getting to Como is not a big problem either (though Venice is still closer).

by Kathrin_E

I'd say neither of them is good for a day trip(!) because both are too far away and you'd waste most of the day either on the road or on trains. Venice cannot be seen in 3 or 4 hours, and that is all you'd have. The same applies to the lakes in the north. Neither plan makes much sense. Why not pick one of the typical day trip destinations in Tuscany instead that are just one hour away - like Siena and San Gimignano, or Lucca and Pisa?

by cgf

did I read well? "as we only have time for one day trip that far"
of course few hours are not enough to visit Venice, but if you have never seen Venice you could do it, Venice it could be doable if you awoke early morning and back late at night, Como from Florence is not worth at all.

by Manara

I have a warning for all those who think of going to Como to see the lake. The Lungolago. i.e. the promenade along the lake, has now the view totally obstructed by a wall that was built recently, under a plan to prevent flooding. The wall will be demolished, because it was not part of the approved plan and the inhabitants of Como are very angry about it, but in the meantime those who want to enjoy the beauty of Lake Como need to choose other towns by the lake.

by lengleng

Yes I think a few hours in Venice is all I can bare with a 3 year old anyways.Shall I drive to Venice or take the train?

by Manara

The train is the best way to travel to Venice. Santa Lucia station is in the city centre, so you will be able to walk to the main places of interest.

by Kathrin_E

How does the 3 year old cope with 8 or more hours in one day stuck in the car or on a train?

Again - pick a destination that is closer and easier to reach.

by cgf

IMHO children many times have much less problems of adults.

by Manara

Kathrin, it takes 2 hours and 40 minutes to go to Venice from Florence!

by lengleng

We are doing all the closer destinations and Venice is the only one that is 3 hours commute.We will travel by euro star first class where he can play puzzles and read books and nap so we should be ok :-)

Travel Tips for Florence

The birthplace of the Renaissance

by HORSCHECK

Florence is often known as "The birthplace of the Renaissance". It is home to numerous churches, public buildings, and houses constructed with Romanesque or Gothic architecture. The construction of the famous Duomo marks the beginning of Renaissance architecture.
The most of the historic sights are located in the city centre within walking distance to the Duomo.

Il Porcelino

by viddra

On the south side of the loggia del Mercato Nuovo is Tacca’s famous Boar (Il Porcelino) from 1639.

You can always see crowds of people round it, testing their luck. All you have to do is put a coin in the boar's mouth and let it fall into a hole under it. If the coin falls next to the boar, leave it there and try with another one.

Ironwork

by leics

Look at the many old buildings around the city and you'll see they are covered in all sorts of ironwork. Obviously, some of these are for tethering horses etc, but many were for all the draperies/ flags/ banners etc which were displayed both ordinarily and on special occasions. Easy to miss, but a sign that real people lived real lives in these places.

Entertainment On A Budget: The Buskers

by ForestqueenNYC about The Piazze of Florence

Florence has some of the most talented musicians playing in the streets at night. I have enjoyed them immensely. Some of them are classically trained in their Eastern European countries, but are unable to get work there. Others just might be doing it to support their summer travels in Europe. I have bought a number of their CDs and I continue to enjoy them while bringing back wonderful memories of my time in Florence. You can often also find them playing during the day.

If you like 60s and 70s music you will enjoy Mercer and Peres you will often find them at the Uffizi at night.

A delicious meal for carnivores

by ozalp about Nuti

Since our guide had recommended us, we ate in Nuti once. Our target was “Bistecca Alla Fiorentina” and we ordered one plate for every couple because we had been told that it was 500 gr of PURE meat! I was very excited about it, because I am a carnivore with appetite.
Although I had high expectations, bisteca did not disappoint me. It was juicy and incredibly delicious.

Additionally we ordered a vegetable soup. We wanted to try different plates as much as we could. All vegetable soups we tried were delicious. I recommend you Bistecca Alla Fiorentina yet I like over-cooked meat.

Comments