Palazzo Lombardo

Palazzo VecchioPalazzo Vecchio

15 bldgs have to be demolished for this15 bldgs have to be demolished for this

Florence Duomo viewFlorence Duomo view

DuomoDuomo

train from florence to venice

by janibo

I am wanting to take a train from Florence to Venice, either at night or the next morning. The whole point originally of taking the train was to see Italy and the countryside. But I think the train might be pretty fast (eurostar, I think). So....basically I want to know if you can actually take in the sights, because it would be better to go at night, but if it is worth it, I'll go in the morning. Does anyone know what time it gets dark in late April? Thanks!

by leics

The train isn't so fast that you won't see the countryside, I don't think, even if it is Eurostar.

Sunrise/sunset times here:

Florence sunset is around 20.00 in April.

by scanos

Hi

You cannot obviously take in the sights at night but I would recommend what my brother and I did a few years ago.

Take an early train and get off at Bologna. It is circa 400 metres to the old town. have awalk around and take in breakfast. The next worthwhile stop is Ferrara where you can have lunch. Yu can then take the train onto Venice or if you're feeling ambitious take a detour via Mantua and Verona. Slightly longer but very worthwhile.

The only downside to this approach is that you have to buy tickets for each leg of the journey but it's not really a problem because the in-station ticket vending machines are designed to do this.

regards

SK

by Mysicka

Hi,
this is a very good link with the statistics, not only about the sunrise and sunset, but also about the climate: http://uk.weather.com/weather/climatology/ITXX0028

As for the trains, they are quite frequent between the two cities and it takes only about 2,5 hours, so I don't think it's necessary to travel by night, as it's worth by long distancies.

Here you can find the timetables of italian train: http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Buon viaggio

by christine.j

I took the fast train from Venice to Florence last March. I enjoyed seeing the countryside,(we took the morning train) but of course didn't see anything from the cities other than the train stations.

by swissfondue

I've taken the train from Florence to Venice twice both times during the day. The first time I stopped off for a few hours in Bologna and I reccommend this also if you aren't in a hurry. Beautiful city and quite different to Florence. There is a deposito bagagli at the station so storing luggage isnt a problem.
Both trips were on an ES, and while they are called fast trains, the Italian Eurostar services certainly aren't as fast as the Thalys or TGV. You will be able to take in the sights very easily as long as your window is clean, a problem I found on many trains.

Travel Tips for Florence

...Not Too Happy...

by coceng

...This one looked not too happy when I took his photo...or her photo....but he or she did it convincingly....He ! He !...

Well, we don't have to ask their permission to take their photos...If we put a coin, even some coins from our country, they wouldn't know would they ?....Maybe after we long gone...but that would be cruel !...I wouldn't do that...

Once in a while, they would make some 'faces' at us....but it's part of their 'performing' lives....

horseback riding wine tatsting tours

by kimky

A unique and exciting way to discover the spectacular Chianti rufina wine region (only 20 mins by train out of florence) is to take a horse trek with Chianti rufina trails ( www.simplesite.com/chiantitrails ) we found them through a backpackers in Florence, and they pick up keen travellers from Pontassieve station (20 mins from florence central station) providing a fantastic way to see the Chianti if you are carless. They are a lovely italian/New Zealand couple, that speak english as well as Italian. We did a wine tasting tour, which included two hours of riding in the vineyards and mountain tracks, before taking a cellar tour at the Colognole vineyard and a winetasting, all at a very reasonable 60€ and that included transfers from the station, there are also day rides, and week long packages available. The horses were beautiful, the landscape amazing, and our guides jess and Paolo so so friendly.
Really reccomended- this is a really memorable tour to take when sick of Florence business..escape the tourists and see the real Tuscany!

where to spend money

by tompt about Expensive!

While in florence you can´t miss the shops. The entire centre of the city has shopping streets. Most shops sell clothes or something simulair. There are clothesshops from all the famous brands.
But they are not cheap.

One store even names itself: Expensive ! All brands of fashionable clothes. Lots of €...

Travelling around Tuscany in a...

by josie13

Travelling around Tuscany in a car could be a bit of an obstacle. If you decide to see Lucca, Pisa, Siena or San Gimagnano you'll probably come across quite a few rural roads which are slow and winding. However the scenery is really nice which should make up for the extra time spent travelling.

Best ice-cream in Florence

by leics about Vivoli

This is, according to the 'Rough Guide', the best ice-cream in the city. It certainly is rather scrummy. And comes in numerous flavours. And is highly recommended by me, as well as many other people (apparently). Maybe that's why the street isn't on the map provided by the Tourist Information Office? Perhaps they want to keep it a secret?

(It was just as superb on my second visit.............try the 'fantasia'; nuts, glace cherries, candied peel. angelica, chocolate chunks..............wonderful!) If I could have, I'd have tried more flavours. I will. Oh yes.

Comments