Via dei Servi 2, Florence, Tuscany, 50122, Italy
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Florence

Golden Doors by GhibertiGolden Doors by Ghiberti

How it looks as you walk towards the sameHow it looks as you walk towards the same

Jewelry shop on the bridgeJewelry shop on the bridge

Santa Maria del FioreSanta Maria del Fiore

Side Trips from Florence

by lbaz95

Hello:

My husband, 2 sons (11 and 6) and I will be spending a week in Florence in August. After making our plans, some have said that that is too long in Florence and recommended that we take side trips. We very much like shopping and eating and enjoy seeing the sites, but the kids do not have the patience for long museum visits, etc.

What are the side trips that you would recommend? We would either go for the day or possibly stay overnight.

Thank you.

by rreggers

What I did was rent a car, pack the two kids (21 & 270 and the wife in the car and drove to the hill towns, and to Pisa for two days. Always based in Florence tho to spend the night (Hilton). Have fun - Richard

by kathymof

I would recommend a trip to Lucca. You could rent bikes and ride around the walls of the old town. The kids should be able to burn off some energy doing this. I loved it and I'm long past the kid stage. Lucca is a great place to visit and missed by many people.

by RicardoBA

You can take the kids to the beach in Viareggio. You can take the train there for the day. It will be crowded in August, but a nice relief from the warm city.
Try not to go there on the weekend.

Lucca and Pisa

by Mazely

I did that two years ago: to Pisa, staying there until more or less 1pm (you can see the Tower of Pisa and the buildings around) and then to Lucca, going back to Florence in the end of the day.
You can make it by train.

by Maurizioago

You could visit Siena.

by mad4travel

Sienna is a nice place to go. you can get there in about an hour on the train. It has an old medieval centre, a huge square where the pallio horse race is staged every year and if your kids are energetic they can climb to the top of the tower in the square for a birds eye view of the city. There are also some nice restaurants to sit out on and people watch.

by Mazely

As mentioned above, Siena is very nice too, but it has a "con": the train station is about 2km far from the "beggining" of the city center (Piazza Matteotti), so you'd have to take the local bus to city center (from the station) or (what I did) to take the bus directly from Florence to Siena (the bus terminal stop in Florence is close to the train station).
Since you'll stay one week in Florence, maybe you could do both day trips: Pisa-Lucca and Siena (I did both, and I loved all these cities, as well as Florence).

Travel Tips for Florence

Lovely memories from Ponte Vecchio

by codrutz

This looks like a perfect setting to have you picture taken in Florence. On the Ponte Vecchio, overseeing the Arno river, or (check my second picture) in front of a gold glimmering gold jewelery store :)

Packing List

by snmred

The weather here can be a bit wacky. There have been days where it starts out sunny and warm (around 70 degrees) then it will suddenly start to downpour with thunder showers and huge hail. About an hour later it was sunny and warm again then two hours after that, you guessed it, thunder and rain then it turned rather chilly at night. This was after about four days of constant sunshine. So, my advice? Try to pack light so you can take plenty of souveniers home with you but not so light that you roast or freeze! You can buy it all here except Tums. I had to have a friend Fed Ex some over for me and trust me, after a few glasses of red wine, you will need some too. For the girls, Italian clothing designers tend to make the pants for women with no or little hips. Italian women tend not to be wide in the hips, I am slight but have wide hips so I have a very very hard time finding any pants that fit me. I usually stock up when I am visiting in the states so don't come here expecting to buy this great pair of pants if you have hips.

Markets

by Marpessa about Markets in Firenze

There are many markets in Firenze. They seem to specialise in scarves, shawls, ties, handbags, wallets, sunglasses, t-shirts (football or tourist 'Firenze' t-shirts), rugs, paintings/drawings of Firenze and many other things.

As you can see, from the photo, the colours of the scarves and shawls are beautiful. I ended up buying one that had pink, red and a gold thread intertwining. They can be around EUR20-25, try your luck at bargaining if you think the price is too high. My friend was able to bargain for a pair of sunglasses and got the price down a bit.

Rome-Florence by train

by Frisbeeace

Florence is served frequently from Rome and Venice by nonstop Eurostar and Intercity (IC) trains. Stazione Centrale di Santa Maria Novella is the main station and is in the center of town.

The fastest trains on Italian State Railways are the Eurostar trains which connect Rome-Milan via Florence and Bologna. The trip from Rome to Florence takes only 1h 35'.

We travelled second class and found it very comfortable. It makes little sense to pay first class in such a short leg. Supplement is included in the fare; seat reservations are mandatory at all times.

Next-fastest trains are the Intercity (IC) trains, for which you pay a supplement and for which seat reservations are advisable.

My favorite straightforward no...

by wayward_son

My favorite straightforward no frills fixed menu (including two courses and wine) is at Trattoria il Contadino. Lots of locals eat here and the food is homemade and very traditional. No skimping on the portions here. When I was here I had a great pasta dish and followed it up with a full trout. My companion had clams in red sauce and then a chicken dish. The servings were generous and very good.

Comments