Relais Firenze Stibbert

Relais Firenze Stibbert
Agoda.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Florence

The Ponte VecchioThe Ponte Vecchio

Cellini's bust at the center of the bridgeCellini's bust at the center of the bridge

A free art exhibitionA free art exhibition

Chiesa di San Salvatore Ognissanti (Florence, It)Chiesa di San Salvatore Ognissanti (Florence, It)

getting to Florence from central Umbria

by nancynb

We are in a small village called Acquasparta (near Todi) and would like to make a day trip to Florence. We do have a car but are reluctant to drive in Florence itself. We have considered bus (can't find schedules?) and train. Do any VT-ers have suggestions about the best way to get into the city and back to Acquasparta?

by jvs9932

My wife and I did our honeymoon throughout Italy a few years back. I drove the entire time from Milan to Venice to Verona to Rome to Arezzo to Florence and Pisa, etc, etc. I found it very easy to drive, maybe because I drive a lot in LA...

I would suggest driving to Florence, it will give you flexibility with your schedule that you won't have if you're stuck to a train departure. We stayed at a hotel in Florence and had parking there, but perhaps you can call a hotel in the city and see about parking there for the day. I just did a quick Google search and found this:
It's all about parking in Florence and you can scroll down to the "parking at the train station" section.

Hope this helps,
jvs

by effeti

Agree with the above poster. Drive to Florence, or a nearby train station.
In Florence there are several parkings:

If you can borrow or rent a satellite navigator with italian maps, it will be very easy to reach your place. Then a bus and a little walk, but you will spare a lot of time, and will be much more free.

Ciao
Francesco

by marco2005

Sorry but as a daytrip is quite an hard stuff.
It take minimum 3hr by train and also by car. Maybe that a overnight in Florence could be an optimum.

By car is a really scenic route, but to save time you can take the highway (for a part of the trip).
Avoiding the highway means to add 1 hr more.

By train check the timetable on the Italian Railways website
the website may be a little dark. Check the easy guide on Mccalpin Italian pages
Take a look at his tips and his post in this forum

Ciao.
Marco

Travel Tips for Florence

Florence Tip

by josie13

The first time I visited Florence was in 1999. I was to participate in an annual football tournament and we were staying at a place called Il Cioco. Teams from Austria, Switzerland, Greece, Germany, Italy and Belgium were also taking part. The Italian team was the favorite to win. We played 6 matches in 2 days and managed to qualify for the finals. We were to play Italy and boy were we worried ! But we played great and managed to beat the home side. We were all over the moon with joy. It was the first time a Maltese team had managed to win an international football tournament. Nobody could stop us celebrating. We were in the local papers all summer !

Watching a Fiorentina match

by fgfi

I don't really like going to the Stadium, but now that La Fiorentina is back again in the Premier League I think that it worths the effort ; ). And I have to say that Fiorentina's supporters have been very creative in the past. If you want to live the experience like a real local supporter go to the Curva Fiesole.

The Leather Look

by vivalasteph about Leonardo Leather School

This small shop near Santa Croce has many styles and colors of leather coats, bags, and scarves and other accessories. The owner has worked in the shop since he was a child, learning the craft from his father. They definitely have the sales pitch down, but the prices, quality and friendliness make this shop much better than many others. We gladly selected our two leather coats and parted with a very good deal.

They also have a factory showroom outside of Florence. leather coats, purses, belts, shoes, luggage $200-300

Terravision

by leics

Terravision run coaches from Pisa airport to S Novella station (timetables tie in with Ryanair flights). Best to book tickets online (link on Ryanair site), then you get priority in boarding (tickets also on sale in the airport). An efficient service, cost 8.80GBP return in April 2006 (online purchase), takes around 70 minutes. For an extra thrill, sit at the front and have a driver's eye view of negotiating Italian traffic!

An update: my second experience with Pisa Terravision was not so good. The bus didn't turn up, and we were left standing around (damp and chilly) for 45 minutes. No apology or explanation was offered by the somewhat harassed young ticket-collector who was waiting with us. I decided to get the train for my flight back; not sure if I'd risk the bus to the airport again (from is ok). Have had no reply to my subsequent emails either. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Best Value restaurant in the World.

by zogfield about Il Santo Bevitore

Located on the Altrarno (the south side of the river) this restaurant serves probably the best value for money food I've ever eaten, and definitely up there with the best generally! It's situated on Via di Santo Spirito and is only about a 10-15 minute walk from the Piazza della Signoria. The restaurant has an old shell but quite a modern, classy interior. On the wall rest hundreds of bottles of wine and the sight of the waiter occassionally grabbing one with a long device is quite entertaining. The lighting and ambience is almost flawless - dimmed and romantic, bustling and atmospheric.
Service was always great and friendly, no problems.
The food is what you really come here for though. I highly recommend the selection of cheeses or meats (both come on wooden platters, the cheese with a slightly spicy, delcious honey) to start. The pastas I have tried have all been faultless (I've had the squid ink linguine and the wild mushroom ravioli) and the presentation of the dishes is wonderful - artistic but not too OTT. The main courses I had noticed looked amazing so I went for the veal cooked with Vin Santo with an aubergine puree that was in the highest price bracket (€15!). Again the presentation of the dish was amazing, the veal (2 thick fillets) was cooked perfectly and the aubergine thing was fantastic - not too mushy or sickly. A main course of this quality and design would easily cost £25 ($50)+ in London. I had a creme brule for dessert that was easily the best I've ever had. It was flavoured with star anise and came with mango icecream. The combination of flavours was superb.
Anyway, I highly recommend this place for those who love great food, atmosphere and all for amazing Altrarno prices! Has to be the veal (vitello) main course. Amazing. Would cost at least £25 in London.

Comments