Via Bonifacio Lupo 14, Firenze, Florence, Tuscany, 50129, Italy
Hotels.com Expedia.com Venere.com

More about Residenza Johanna I

very happy with Residenza Johanna I

by TripAdvisor Member atravellerOregon

We stayed at the Residenza Johanna I in Florence for about 10 days in April, and were extremely satisfied. The rooms are very nice, even spacious by European hotel standards. The location is easy to find, and is reasonably convenient to the downtown historic district (about 10-15 minutes walk) and the train station (about 20 minutes walk). The neighborhood is quiet and pleasant. The staff is helpful and friendly, and also proficient English speakers. The things that set this hotel apart from some others we were considering were (1) they have wireless internet (in the lobby) and it is quite good, (2) the prices were more reasonable than many in Florence (we paid 95e/night), and (3) the location was good. Other good things we found out when we got there: (1) the 24-hour coffee/tea -- this in fact made a big difference to us, because jet lag had us up long before breakfast time most days. (2) They have lots of books around (in Italian, English, and a smattering of other languages)! I ended up with more reading time than I expected because I stayed in a couple of days with a bad cold, and ran through the books I had brought. But no problem, I just swapped my paperbacks with a couple of theirs. No disadvantages at all to this hotel -- highly recommended!

A great place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member ManicLondon

We stayed for 7 nights - wish it was longer...
We were expecting good things from what we had read and we were not disappointed. Residenza Johanna 1 was really relaxed, very comfortable and a great place to come home to after a hard days mooching around the streets of Florence. The staff were very friendly and helpful and they had some great tips on where to eat locally. We've already passed on our recommendation to family, friends and work colleagues. It was the most laid back place we have ever stayed in and we can't wait to return.

Darling Accomodations in Firenze

by TripAdvisor Member CBROWNSANDIEGO

Residenza Johanna I was in a beautiful building just far enough outside the "hustle and bustle" of the main city square, but close enough to make it a really easy walk into town. The hospitality was fantastic, and came complete with an "Honesty Bar" in the kitchen in the event that we needed a water, juice, wine or beer but didn't want to trek to the store.

Room was very clean, nice accomodations. Only "negative" was that the shower was a little small and akward. Also, the towels were similar to thin dish towels, so I highly recommend to bring your own towel when you travel (we found this in other locations in Italy as well).

Great Hotel in Florence

by TripAdvisor Member VancouverMaryL

Residenza Johanna I is a charismatic Florentine hotel. It is tastefully decorated with antiques, the rooms are furnished with charming, interesting pieces. The beds are very comfortable with light, warm blankets and mattresses that are just soft enough.

A continental breakfast with a delicious cake or pie is served. Complimentary tea and coffee are available 24 hours in the hall. Rooms are equipped with fridges which there is no charge to use. Some hotels now charge automatically each time the fridge door is opened.

The hotel is kept spotlessly clean. The staff speak English and are very hospitable and helpful. I am a middle-aged woman who travels alone and security is very important to me. I felt very safe is this hotel. It is located a short distance from the heart of Florence, close enough to be convenient in a quieter more residential neighbourhood.

A "home" away from home

by TripAdvisor Member MichaelToursItaly

I enjoyed a week's stay at Residenza Johanna 1 in April. If you request directions and remember to bring them along, you will have no difficulty finding this hotel. It was very clean and quiet yet close enough to the sites which interested me, Although helpful directions were given as to how I might get to the center of the city, I tried various routes and found a nearby market and inexpensive eateries which I frequented. Lorenda was kind and very helpful. Earlier reviews might have panned the breakfasts, but now breakfast is served in a nice little dining room, I found it quite adequate. There is lots of evidence of a love of art here - in the number of high quality art books set out for visitors' use and in the original prints used to decorate. Johanna 1 was an excellent base from which I could investigate the Art Treasures in Florence. It was a very economical stay for me. I couldn't have been more pleased with accommodations and look forward to a return visit.

clean, no-frills, and relatively inexpensive

by TripAdvisor Member travelindude06

This was a very basic, no-frills-whatsoever B&B. As mentioned by others before, the pictures taken for their website are not representative of all of the rooms in Johanna I. The ones that the user posted to Trip Advisor were not of the room I stayed in, but very similar in feel. The room we stayed in was very plain, with a tile floor, no carpeting and a bedspread that looked like grandma's hand-me-downs. Breakfast consisted of bread for toasting and a tart or cake of some sort (both store-bought), along with brewed coffee, tea, and orange juice. Not exactly fuel for the day, but plenty to make the 20 minute walk to the duomo and surrounding pasticcierias, where you will find plenty of places to eat. This residenza is in a quiet neighborhood, but the noise from your neighbors down the hall is what you should be most concerned with. The floors are hardwood and the walls are thin, so I had the extreme displeasure of hearing a guest down the hall gag and vomit intermittently in his bathroom after a night of too-much-chianti while I tried to sleep. This place wil be a huge disappointment for people looking for a cozy and romantic place to spend their nights in Florence, but will be great for people who just need a clean place to crash and do not want to spend loads of money on a hotel. It is not in the center of town, but Florence is so small and the 20 minute walk to the Duomo/ Uffizi area is hardly a bother. Also, if you are a late night snacker or need anything besides water once you return to the hotel for the night, buy it before you head back from the center of town: Residenza Johanna is in a residential part of town and you will not find a pharmacy open anywhere near it after 9 PM.

Convenient and clean

by TripAdvisor Member Calif_Jan

We only had one day in Florence and for that short time enjoyed our stay. We took the taxi from the train station and were glad we did. The gated entry was a bit confusing but someone helped find the right button to ring. We did not listen carefully to the instructions and did not know which floor to go to. It is on the first floor up, take the lift if you have many bags or just walk. There are two residences side by side, ring the bell for Johanna and they will open the door. Other than that small confusion, our stay was excellent. The building is old but so is everything in Italy. It is very clean and has a great deal of character. The floors are hardwood, so sound can carry when people are coming and going. It was quiet in our room. The bathroom was typical of what we found everywhere in Italy. Small shower. Breakfast was also typical. We appreciated the fresh coffee and pastry. Staff called a taxi for us when we left and were very accommodating by letting us leave our luggage after check out until early afternoon.

charming

by TripAdvisor Member Ben_tx

We stayed 3 nights in one of the less expensive rooms, not quite what was in the pictures, but again we chose a cheaper room. When you look at a hotel's website, they are always going to picture their best rooms. We liked the room we were given, and it had enough room for our luggage and had a nice armoire and small breakfast table. The internet connection (wireless) worked well. The bathroom was small, but typical of an italian B&B, and the plumbing worked perfectly, and was very clean. The breakfast was also typical of an Italian B&B, coffee, tea, OJ, cereals, toast, pastries, etc. nice spread but do not expect eggs and bacon... you're in Italy, not Texas.
The location was great, a short walk down from the Duomo and other popular sites. Florence is amazing, if you are into Art and Shopping. The staff at Johanna were super nice and spoke English well, and they provided us with a map and drew out points of interests and nice streets to walk. There was a mini fridge in our room which was very handy. The building, entry, and room were charming and a comfortable feel. Our stay was quiet and without problems. My only complaint would be the beds, the mattress was not so great, but not the worst we slept on on our tour of Italy.
If I were going back to Florence I would stay here again.

Just Righ

by TripAdvisor Member ruru413

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Residenza at the start of April. The weather was warm in Florence and we were very happy at the Residenza. All of our needs were met entirely.

The Room was great and the staff was friendly and nice. The location was great, within walking distance to everywhere in Firenze and a short distance to the Train Station.

A Great place to stay !

by TripAdvisor Member AdrianGTrowbridge

The staff are very friendly, efficient and patient. They speak English and are only to willing to help with advice on whatever subject. I stayed in a single room which was small but perfectly adequate, it was quiet , spotlessly clean and in good repair. The general ambience is one of calm and quiet elegance. Johanna 1 is about a 15 minute walk from the Duomo and 20 minutes from the Palazza Vecchio, and very pleasant walks they are too!

Comments